Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just Can't decide on the right Tube...
Hi All,

Long time reader - first time poster!

I have decided to join the league of Float tubers. Fantastic you say just pop down to your local fishing shop and get one...

Not so easy I am afraid, here in New Zealand the Float Tubing movement has not quite launched itself and so none of the stores here actually stock float tubes. I have seen 2 for sale over the last month but they are both old stock and the round type. This means that I will need to get one imported from your fine country [Smile]. Oh and while I am at it I will need to get another exactly the same (to forestall arguments) because I know as soon as I call Dad with my news he will want one too [:p]

I really like the style of the Outcast - Fat / Fish Cats but I cannot decide which one, even after reading my way through many many posts. Because of the exchange rate and the MASSIVE shipping costs, (100-120USD Each!!!) I really only want to be do this once or at least not in the next while. I don’t think I will mind paying the extra for the standard Fat Cat if the Urethane bladders are definitely better than the Vinyl (Lasting longer and so I do not have to re-import etc) but I am not sure about spending 100US (130NZD) on the SFC over the standard but I could be wrong??

Oh yeah and I will be using it primarily for fly fishing freshwater lakes around New Zealand.

Anyway if anyone has some advice I would really appreciate it.
Thanks,
TroutChickNZ
[signature]
Wow, big decision. I am a 5ft 7inch tall woman. I have the Fish Cat 4, and it has been a great tube for me. When I was deciding which to get I decided on the Fish Cat 4 because I didn't feel that I needed the extra floatation and room that is in the Fat Cat. I am about 140 lbs. and the Fish Cat even with a motor and battery float me fine. For me the Fat Cat and Super Fat Cat seemed to be made for big men that need that extra room and stability. Quality on the Fish Cat is good and I haven't needed to worry about the bladders or other materials.

Good luck!
[signature]
TroutChick:

I'm thinking maybe Oz would save you shipping, if you can find something similar to Outcast there, try a search for fly fishing forum. I think Outcast is made in Asia, and a search might find someplace that will ship from there.

Pon

[quote TroutChickNZ]Hi All,

Long time reader - first time poster!

I have decided to join the league of Float tubers. Fantastic you say just pop down to your local fishing shop and get one...

Not so easy I am afraid, here in New Zealand the Float Tubing movement has not quite launched itself and so none of the stores here actually stock float tubes. I have seen 2 for sale over the last month but they are both old stock and the round type. This means that I will need to get one imported from your fine country [Smile]. Oh and while I am at it I will need to get another exactly the same (to forestall arguments) because I know as soon as I call Dad with my news he will want one too [:p]

I really like the style of the Outcast - Fat / Fish Cats but I cannot decide which one, even after reading my way through many many posts. Because of the exchange rate and the MASSIVE shipping costs, (100-120USD Each!!!) I really only want to be do this once or at least not in the next while. I don’t think I will mind paying the extra for the standard Fat Cat if the Urethane bladders are definitely better than the Vinyl (Lasting longer and so I do not have to re-import etc) but I am not sure about spending 100US (130NZD) on the SFC over the standard but I could be wrong??

Oh yeah and I will be using it primarily for fly fishing freshwater lakes around New Zealand.

Anyway if anyone has some advice I would really appreciate it.
Thanks,
TroutChickNZ[/quote]
[signature]
Here's an outcast dealer in Japan:

Hartman Co. Ltd.
Kyoto, Japan 612-8473
075-605-1311
[url "http://www.popeye-web.com/"] www.popeye-web.com[/url]

P.
[signature]
Thanks P. I have sent an email off to Japan, but I am not sure the freight / exchange rate will be much better but worth a shot Wink!! Also did a quick look for Aussie FTs and it looks like they are the same as nz no one is stocking them.

Hi cpierce you are right it is a biggie doesn’t help that I am indecisive at the best of times [crazy]! You sound of a similar size to me [Smile] did you end up getting the deluxe model (inflatable seat) or the foam one?
[signature]
I originally got the foam seat and it is fine, but bulky. Because I wanted to be able to pack it as small as possible in the back of my car, I recently purchased the inflatable for it. I like the inflatable, but I have heard a lot of pros and cons between the two on this site. I really haven't used the inflatable enough yet to see if there is enough of a difference to really recommend one over the other.

To me the biggest issue was packing in a small vehicle.
[signature]
Pull the trigger. They are all good boats and since you don't have a friend that fishes with you that has the other (and what he would forever call the better boat) you won't know of any deficiencies of the boat you choose.

I really think that unless you fish over a hundred days a year you'll notice or appreciate the differences anyway.
[signature]
I use this as my pack tube I roll it up in a backpack and hike it in to alpine lakes. So far it has served me well not as roomy as the Dave Scadden but much lighter. If I was going to invest and spend all that money in shipping I might recommend looking at the Dave Scadden Outlaw escape. I have really put it to hard duty for about 18 months now and not an ounce of trouble it has given me. Good luck!
[signature]
My wife spent many months pondering and looking at different tubes before she deceded. So when mamatrout finally decided upon the tube she wanted I knew it would be right. She is 5' 1" at 115 lbs. and wanted the FC4. She chose the foam seat over the inflatable. She fits in it fine and I even found a way to attach a small minnkota 30 to it and she loves it. The Fat Cat series is made for the larger angler. I am 215 lb and 5' 11" and I would take the fat cat over the fish cat 4 due to my size and what I would put on it. Think of what you will be adding to the craft weight wise when you trick it out and carry all your gear then go with the one that will hold it. I would think the FC4 should do you just fine. Now he difference between the inflatable and the foam seat I believe is a personal preference. My wife didn't like the seat due to she needing a little more back support so I took a plastic lawn chair, cut off the legs and it fits in the seat just fine attached with a bungy cord. She like the stability of the backing of the chair as well. Hope this helps! Here is a pic!!!! Well lets make it two pics. One of my wife and the other of just her tube.

[inline "DSCN0801 - 400.jpg"]
[inline "mamatroutstrickedoutFC4 - 400.jpg"]
[signature]
Just for the record, "INCEPT" is made right in your back yard. They are a bit more money though.
My choice on a smaller V tube would be the Super Fat Cat Hands down. When the one I had which was bought new almost 18 years ago, is still floating, well.....that says a lot.
[signature]
Hey everyone, thanks so much for your advice! I recently got 2 Fish Cats delivered (Co. Front Range Anglers!). They are awesome! So fantastic in fact that Dad and I spent the weekend down in Rotorua christening them Wink I will do a full post on our trip tonight at home with pics. Thanks again TroutChickNZ out!
[signature]
Glad it worked out and you like the tubes! I'm looking forward to seeing what tubing looks like in NZ. Good luck, stay safe, and don't forget your life jackets.
[signature]
Agree....... Can't wait.
[signature]
Way to go! Can't wait to see and read your report![cool]
[signature]