Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
From Renegade to Assault!
[font "Calibri"]Sounds like quite a leap, huh? We’ll see. Since a few were curious and asking, I took it upon myself to buy an Assault, sight unseen, so I could river-test it for everybody![Wink][/font]
[font "Calibri"][/font]
[font "Calibri"]She just arrived late this afternoon . . . The maiden voyage will likely be a “backyard” float down the dreaded “A” section of the Green. Maybe tomorrow! There’s fast water, slow water, riffles to stand in, pools to fin around, rocks to avoid, a rapid or two, places to anchor, and probably some afternoon wind to row through. Oh, 10,000+ trout per mile lets me do a little test fishing too.[/font]

[font "Calibri"]Upon inflating the new Assault this evening, and placing it next to my Renegade to “switch things out”, the most noticeable difference besides the closed bow is the pontoon diameter. The Assault is definitely a smaller craft, with a lower profile, which I wanted. It’s slightly narrower, and does “just” fit into the rear of my F-150, though I do need to turn it a bit diagonal to slide it in fully inflated. Without my topper, it would be a breeze. The Renegade always had to be partially deflated.[/font]

[font "Calibri"]The inflatable seat pad on the Assault is also shorter, leaving less storage space behind the seat. All I carry is a small cooler anyway. There are fewer D rings, and the gear bags secure to the D rings in the exact same place relative to the oar locks as the Renegade—meaning it looks like they will be in the way of the oars on a long back stroke (Like the Renegade was). However, there are no D rings further aft like on the Renegade, so I may have to try and add a couple in order to get the side bags further back, out of the way. The smaller pontoon diameter could make up for this though. I’ll find out on the first float.[/font]
[font "Calibri"] [/font]
[font "Calibri"]The Assault came with the very same 5-foot oars that came standard with the Renegade. I used some old aluminum 6-foot oars with my Renegade instead. I’m trying the stock 5-footers on the maiden voyage of the Assault. They may be “just right” for the smaller boat. If not, then I'll try the 6-footers.[/font]

[font "Calibri"]"Wet" report to follow. I have it set up exactly the same as I had my Renegade, (anchor, bags, 6-pk cooler, fins, net, gear in the bags) so it should be a good comparison. [/font]
[font "Calibri"]In the meantime . . . The beloved Renegade must be released. $750 firm. Its 18 months old, in perfect shape, with the standard oars. I’ll miss it, but I don’t need two. I promised TubeDude first right of refusal first. (I can't imagine a better home for my favorite toon![angelic]) If he declines, it will appear on BFT classifieds first, and then to a larger audience if it doesn’t go. PM me. Accompanied test rides on the Green or Gorge are welcome.[/font]

[inline IMGP8943.jpg]
[inline IMGP8933.jpg]
[inline IMGP8930.jpg]
[signature]
Looks like a sweet boat... Tube dude would love it floating in style. I am thinking of that new 2 person model the 2013 he released. When my son gets older that will be the perfect craft for me and the boy to get out in.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]So...ya done did it already. Lookin' good.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I'll PM ya soon to work out the details of the exchange on the Renegade. I'm takin' a test drive on Joni's tomorrow. Got it all pimped out with PVC and I am optimistic it will work out great.[/#0000ff]

[inline "INSTALLED LEFT SIDE.jpg"]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][cool][#0000ff]So...ya done did it already. Lookin' good.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I'll PM ya soon to work out the details of the exchange on the Renegade. I'm takin' a test drive on Joni's tomorrow. Got it all pimped out with PVC and I am optimistic it will work out great.[/#0000ff]

[/quote]
I had to do it. Just couldn't sleep thinking about it. It was inevitable, so I figured, why prolong the agony? Now, in hindsight, I think I made the right decision. It's not all that much nicer/better/different than the Renegade, but just enough. And it sure as hell beats wondering about it day after day, and night after night! SOMEBODY had to take the plunge!
[signature]