Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry on the fly
I'm assuming, since you posted it here, you want some opinions and feedback. First, I would like to say; to each their own. If you enjoy that type of fishing well than by all means go for it and have fun. But if you're wanting to know the view point from another fly fisher here goes.

You mentioned the advantage of having a lighter rod for casting. I don't get it? There are numerous very light reels on the market right now that are coming in at a couple ounces or less. I fished a Southern Idaho lake for 3 days last week in the damn wind and it wasn't until the last day that I felt a little arm fatigue. I would suggest much less false casting.

It seems extremely awkward, and simply complicating the sport further. I had a reel seat screw fall into the water on a trip in which I didn't bring an extra reel. I made it through the day fishing the reel in one hand or between my legs, and I never remember thinking it was easier to cast. All I remember thinking is what a pain in the ass! It looks to me, from your video, your system involves some sort of strap around the chest mounting system. Not only does that restrictive in the sense, of extra clothing, fishing, vests, packs, life jackets, and etc., but it also is restricting your ease of full motion while fishing.

Finally, every rod would need to be customized to have your removable handle butt section. I personally don't know a single guy I fish with that doesn't have at least 6 rods and many have in the double digits easy. Premium rods are already $500 to $800 bucks a piece. Most guys aren't going to modify a rod they just threw out $780 bucks on, let alone do it to their entire quiver of rods.

I guess in a nutshell, do not expect the broad spectrum of fly fishers to embrace this form of fly fishing, but if you enjoy good for you and have fun! That's what it's about any way
[signature]