Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lindon Renegade
[cool][#0000ff]Tarponjim bought hisself a new Assault from Dave Scadden. Wants to sell his Renegade. I expressed interest if'n I could get a test ride first. Flygoddess was kind enough to allow me temporary custody of her Renny so I tricked it out with PVC and put it on the water at Lindon this morning. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]LloydE and Parrmark showed up to laugh at the funny old man trying to launch a new craft for the first time. Ha. I got the last laugh. Got more and bigger fish too. Ha.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It was a bit of a "challenge" rigging up the new ride for the first time. But I took it slow and systematically and got it all together in reasonable amount of time (about a half hour). That was with a whole lot more PVC than Dave Scadden ever intended to be on one of his craft. And Joni will probably hear it whimpering when it gets back home. I loaded it up. But it worked very well.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The Renegade is a great hybrid between a large open front float tube and a pontoon. It is advertised as a "frameless" pontoon...and has a closed rear end like a big float tube. But it sits in the water and rides like the best of both worlds. Large load capacity but the "rocker" design allows for easy propulsion with either fins or the oars...which are mounted with a "rack and pinion" system. I only used the fins briefly today, just to check them out and make sure everything cleared.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I fabbed a super PVC motor mount (what else) for my 40# thrust Minnkota. Worked perfectly. More push than with the float tube because it rides higher in the water and does not plow it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I made a PVC base so I could mount the modular and removable rod holders and tool rack from my float tube. They were secured to the Renegade using the tie down straps for the big side pockets.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Again, worked perfectly.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The only two "issues" I had were with my rigid apron and with my fish basket. After a short time on the water I have figured out what I need to do to make it dunky hory.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Fishing? Yeah, we done some of that too. Got a grundle of tiny tyke white bass just before daybreak under the lights off the end of the ramp. Spread those amongst our group to use for bait later. Didn't really need them. We caught grundles more everywhere we went. A good spawn year for whities evidently and all the predators are dining well.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Was dismayed to find absolutely no water flow at the bubbleup. Nary a stray bubble. Lots of scattered white bass though. Only trouble was that most of them were aggravating little dinksters. I partially remedied that problem by upsizing. I caught some bigger fish on crankbaits. But, as you can see in one of the pics, the bitty whities also found a way to impale themselves on it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I then started throwing a tandem rig with two 3" twisters on 1/8 oz. heads. Constant tap tap tap from the little whities, with an occasional CHOMP from the bigger ones. Every once in a while I would bring it through a school of bigger fish and get doubles in the 11" - 13" range. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I dragged around a small dead whitie on a bait rod while casting for the white bass. Had numerous "inquiries". Some turned out to be other white bass...eating their young. Some paid the price. Others were cats. Caught 3...not quite enough for a smoker load. Others??? Not sure. I had one giganto fisho on for a few head shakes and then brought in the head and part of the body of my white bass bait...cut cleanly across the body. JAWS? I was already in a bigger boat.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]All of us were catching plenty of white bass but I was the only one who scored any kitties. Parrmark had to leave in late morning for a prior commitment. LloydE headed in about 1 and I bagged it shortly thereafter. I didn't get any more bites after I left the bubbleup...and I worked both white bass and minnows for quite a ways before deciding to get it up on plane and head for the harbor. Well...didn't exactly get it up on plane, but that Renegade does move much faster than my Fat Cat with the same power.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Water levels are dropping a bit...about 2 1/2 feet down from the high water mark. Water temps ranged from 66 to almost 70. Still staying up there. Good clarity in the water today too...at least for Utah Lake. Calm all day. Only a slight ripple on the water a couple of times. Tough duty.[/#0000ff]
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=77320"][#63626b]CROWDED RAMP.jpg[/#63626b][/url] (187 KB)
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=77321"][#63626b]RENEGADE READY.jpg[/#63626b][/url] (256 KB)
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=77322"][#63626b]11 INCH WHITIE.jpg[/#63626b][/url] (230 KB)
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=77323"][#63626b]ATTITUDE.jpg[/#63626b][/url] (174 KB)
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=77324"][#63626b]RENEGADE AT WORK.jpg[/#63626b][/url] (177 KB)
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=77325"][#63626b]BIGGUN ON BC.jpg[/#63626b][/url] (188 KB)
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=77326"][#63626b]BUBBLEUP BEAUTY.jpg[/#63626b][/url] (160 KB)
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=77327"][#63626b]PARRMARK SCORES.jpg[/#63626b][/url] (207 KB)
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=77328"][#63626b]LLOYD BAGS A FEW.jpg[/#63626b][/url] (261 KB)
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=77329"][#63626b]KITTY ON WHITIE.jpg[/#63626b][/url] (228 KB)
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=77330"][#63626b]GLASSY AT NOON.jpg[/#63626b][/url] (252 KB)
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=77331"][#63626b]ROGHET AND BRO.jpg[/#63626b][/url] (304 KB)
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=77332"][#63626b]RENEGADE RETURNS.jpg[/#63626b][/url] (314 KB)
[signature]
I bet FG gasped when she saw what you did to her boat[laugh]
I got to say it looks a little more at ease with the load you put on it. Too bad you didn't have a GPS to tell what top speed was.
As far as comfort goes how does it compare to your tube? I know you have added chairs and other things to make them more comfortable. If you got one would you have to do anything to the seat? The fish basket will always be a problem. If it is on the side the boat pulls hard to that side when under power. The baskets also rob the battery due to the excess load. I pick mine up and carry it just in the water enough to wet the fish if I am at full speed going back to the dock. I have also seen the load blow out the bottom of the fish basket.
These boats have my interest. But the one I think I want is going to be hard to justify to the banker. Good report. Ron
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I will be doing a full pictorial review, with pics of the PVC modular system I designed...and how it fits on the craft without having to compromise the structure or the integrity of the craft. It goes on and comes off easy...leaving no footprints.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I happen to know that Joni fishes for carp with her toons so she ain't likely too upset by a few kitties and whities. And I will wash its face good before taking it home.l[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I did develop TB (tired butt) by the end of the day. But that was mostly a matter of proper adjustment. I did not take time to go to shore to make the minor tweaks needed to reflect the difference in Joni's tiny self and my large self. But overall, I was pleased with the support of the seat back and the basic comfort of the inflated seat/floor.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I do not add anything unless I am unable to get what I want from the basic critter. I'm fairly confident that I could work a little on the adjustments and not have to use another seat.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here's how I ended up with the basket. I did not use the foot bar. Too short anyway.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
FG I think will die when she sees her boat with all that PVC. [Wink] Interesting setup. So you gonna get the new boat?
[signature]
TD that is what I do with mine too. That way cost me a few kitty's I was tagging this spring when the bottom came un done. When I pull them like that the boat stays straight but it still drags it down. I lift the basket with a foot to make it easier on the battery.
I did notice that on the videos I have seen from NFO the foot bars do seem to be a bit short making the knees bend almost into the way of the oars.
Foot rests that are attached like the Gigbob craft might be a better way than a bar that goes across. It seems that no matter the boat a guy always needs to make some changes to make it work for him. Ron
[signature]
I would think the jaws fish would be one of those northerns we always hear about but never see? Interesting having a fish attacked like that. Sure sounds like the way a northern would act.
[signature]
Good day for you! You got into some nice fish and made your usual haul I see.

The Renegade seems smaller after getting decked out in all of that white pvc frosting! Looks like it may work well for you. It is a bit larger to transport though, so how is that working out for you? Are you trailering it with all of the attachments, or deflating and packing it?

I love my Renegade, but it is bigger and somewhat heavier than the "Cats". Interesting reading your impressions on it.

On the foot bar you can add chain links to each side for longer legs. Or use an adjustable strap across there and set it to your length. Frequently I don't use the bar at all.
[signature]
Wow, looks like you had a great day and toss in being able to try out a new ride, amazing.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Yep.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I always zip tie the bottom opening shut when setting up my baskets. I have lost fish that pulled a Houdini dive and popped them open. But I really don't always tow fish at high speed. I also prefer to haul them up on my rigid apron for speed runs.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Working on an idea for an expanded and wider apron that will make that work even better. Will almost be a work bench. When I get my very own Renegade I will start tinkerin'.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I left off the footbar yesterday because I did not anticipate I would be doing much rowing. I didn't. But what I did was no problem without the footbar. With my electric motor I really have no need for the oars except in the event my motor dies. Always good to have options.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But, if I was to want to use the footbar it would be impossible to row with my knees in my face. I tried putting my legs up far enough to roughly match the position of the footbar. Nope.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote albinotrout]I would think the jaws fish would be one of those northerns we always hear about but never see? Interesting having a fish attacked like that. Sure sounds like the way a northern would act.[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]Northern pike was the first guess I would have made too. They got the dental credentials to do that kinda stuff and I have seen similar "surgery" from them when fishing them with live bait in other states. Walleyes have teeth but they are staggered and designed for capture and holding...not slicing. And catfish have strong jaws but don't have teeth capable of cutting through a bait that cleanly.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Funny story though. Earlier in the morning Parrmark had a runner that dropped the bait before getting hooked. We speculated on whether it was a catfish or one of the pestiferous white bass. I told him that TubeBabe's law was that a fish can be anything you want it to be...until and unless you bring it in for positive ID. Parrmark replied that it was probably a barracuda under those rules. Later, when I brought in that "cut bait" I told him that I just had a run-in with his barracuda.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]For yesterday's trip I stripped off all the PVC and pockets, mostly deflated it and just folded/stuffed it into the back of my Blazer. It layed pretty flat and left plenty of room for all the "pimping" pieces and all my other gear and I could still see easily out the back window. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[inline "LOOSE PACK.jpg"]

[#0000ff]I am sure that if I took the time to completly deflate and properly fold it up I can easily fit a pair of them in my rig...almost as easily as I now do with two Fat Cats. But if I wanna hit the water sooner...and if I am fishing solo...I can leave a lot of the goodies attached on a partially deflated craft and be ready to rumble a lot faster. Or, for short hauls at reasonable freeway speeds I can carry it on my cartop carrier. I have carried a couple of pontoons up there before with no problems. Can't say the same for a Fat Cat that tore loose and got smashed by a truck.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Good deal. It is great that you are getting a chance to "try before you buy" so that you can really be ready for your own boat. Kudos to FG on lending you her "Renny".

I think you will love it, and I know you will love designing new ways of PVCdom.

I have yet to have to completely fold and pack mine. I usually just transport it partially or fully deflated. The fish love Rennies and you will catch even more now. [laugh][laugh][laugh]
[signature]
SO - in Utah General - your post got "locked" - Hell I didn't even see any turds posted.... off topic?

I guess we'll know if/when the Avatar changes!
I'd guess with all that Rock-Chipping work you wouldn't want your inflatable riding on top - running the risk of becoming a deflatable!
Nice report (of course). You are a kitty magnet - that's for sure. Wish I could find those Whities big cousins the way your find them littlns.

So did you have to "harvest" PVC or trinkets off the old tube for the new tube? Or maybe just for the test drive - then you'll duplicate efforts down the line. Sounds to me like your "sold" on getting the new ride. So - how long till your Babe gets one too?
[cool][#0000ff]Sheesh. You sure are fulla questions...or fulla something.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]No idear why the report got locked on the Utah board. Can't figure out the "logic" of the current set of moderators. Glad I got out of that job in Utah.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The "chip and seal" work is mostly done for this season, but it probably wouldn't constitute much of a potential problem anyway. That cover on the frameless and bladderless Renegade could probably deflect RPGs. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]For the trial run I "adapted" my float tube rod holders and tool rack setup for the Renegade. I threw together a measured-to-fit base and then used the strap-on pockets to secure the base in place. After that it was simply popping on the respective fittings. When I get one for my ownself I am likely to make some adjust-a-ments.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]TubeBabe has been out of town and hasn't seen or tried the Renegade yet. But she has seen the [url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiYXAAVGK_M&feature=related"]Dave Scadden Videos[/url] and only asked a couple of "comfort" questions. We both had H3 float tubes made by him and for some reason we could never fish very long in them without "butt cramps" and aching backs...no matter how we adjusted them. I assured her I would pay special attention to that detail and so far I am good widdit. But she will have to make her (my) own decision on that.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sheesh.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I read a a little about the Rebegade I mean the Runnagade I mean the Cartwheel Bikini Woman oops the Renagade, ahhhhhhh there ya go.

They are bladderless, and I don't mean that they need one to hold it before going to the restroom. Do they have a thick enough PVC so you feel safe? I have always hated the thickness of these $1000 crafts and find the $500 inflatables from China to be better and have a thicker hull too.

So does it treck very smoothly across the water? How does it fair for using the oars?
The Scadden boats are very high quality materials and workmanship. I have no fears on it popping a hole unless I way over inflated or rammed it into a spear. Short of that it would take a LOT to put a hole in one. The hull is thick enough to make folding it up tightly a real good workout.

It tracks great, is good in the wind, and moves like a dream with the oars or fins. Especially if you put longer oars on it. It comes with the shorter ones to make packing easier.

A very versatile boat!
[signature]
[quote catfish-logic] They are bladderless. Do they have a thick enough PVC so you feel safe? I have always hated the thickness of these $1000 crafts and find the $500 inflatables from China to be better and have a thicker hull too.

So does it track very smoothly across the water? How does it fair for using the oars?[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]My opinion is that I feel far safer in the Renegade than in my Fat Cat...even with the urethane bladder. The PVC shell is thick and tough...and capable of handling rough water and bouncing off rocks. I don't plan to do any of that. And the bulk and weight are not a major problem. The whole craft folds down or rolls up into a compact space. But, opinions are always subjective and are personal to the opinionee.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The Renegade does track well with fin power. And it rows easily with the short oars and the rack and pinion oar attachment setup. I wouldn't want to have to compete in a rowing competition with one but definitely good enough to get you from point A to point B in good time...and with a minimum of pulling. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It was calm all morning yesterday so I didn't have a chance to judge how it handled in a breeze. It has a higher profile than my Fat Cat so I anticipate that much of a breeze will make it more difficult to hold position on a honey hole. It is a two sided coin. The rocker design lets the craft rest flat on the water, with little drag when kicking or rowing. But that same feature will make it more subject to being pushed around by zephyrs. However, when the wind comes up enough that I can't fish my finesse style of light tackle fishing I am outta there. And I can get back to my vehicle faster with the motor going.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for the report, sounds like a good tube! How far did you sit out of the water, compared to your Fat cat?

Pon
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I'm guessing there was about 3" of "freeboard" between my heavy body and the water surface. Still not enough to go in just hip boots...for me. I wore lightweight waders...just in case...but the water was warm enough I could have managed without them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]By comparison, there is some water that sloshes around my nether regions when sitting in my Fat Cat. But a lighter person would float higher. Probably doesn't help that I have a 65# battery and a trolling motor behind me...even with the extra floatation I add with the boat bumpers. I put a pretty good load on the old Chubby Kitty.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Getting back to the Renegade, I let it float without me...after setting up the motor and the battery. It floated perfectly level without any need for additional floatation. And, according to my fishing buddies, it looked pretty flat and level even with my ample body aboard. Rated for 1000 pounds. I doubt I will ever get that far out of shape.[/#0000ff]
[signature]