Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Muskie dilema/ Pineview smallie report 9-23
Hello All,

Fished Pineview from shore again yesterday and caught 30-40 chunkie smallies on 3" white Bass Pro Shops imitation Senkos. I also ran into a freind of Old Coots and Xman (didn't get his name) Says he reads the posts but doesn't post. He was also doing well on the Smallie front.

Here's my Muskie dilema; Late last night at about 30 min. or so before dark I cast out my Senko, Rod bends nearly in half then nothing. Reel in my line and it cut clean no worn no hook just a nice clean cut like it was done with sizzors. Tied on another and a couple of casts later the same thing.

Lightbulb! Muskie in the area, so I tie on a diving rapalla and make a few casts and nothing. Go back to the worm and it happens again. At that point it was almost dark and I was so frustrated that I just left. Is it possible to fiah a Senko on a wire leader? Not sure of the effect it would have on the baits action or if the leader would spook the smallies. Do they make jerk baits for muskie? I think the key here is that the presentation is very slow and it imitates a dying fish, so this turns them on. [#ff0000]*EDIT*[/#ff0000] First person to reply to this post wins a new BFT sticker

I also had my line part in the above described manner many times before on previous trips. I always thought it was a sharp rock in combination with cheap line. Now I'm using premium line and was fishing in a relatively non-rocky area and 3 times in a row, definately not a rock!

Any ideas?

Al
[signature]
A good musky bait catalog is musky hunter!!!

[url "http://www.muskyhunter.com"]www.muskyhunter.com[/url]
[signature]
I would tie up 20# flourocarbon leader and hold on for the ride.
[signature]
I have never fished with senkos so I don't know that I can help you. But if you are concerned about the steel leader hurting the action of your lure, what about trying spyderwire. Also only one way to find out for sure, put on a steel leader and try it.

I find your story very interesting. I keep hearing more and more of these hooked a muskie while fishing for smallmouths stories. Maybe the muskie are bored with all the big tackle that gets tossed at them. What does everyone think? Saturday morning my neighbor trolled for muskies all morning with no luck so they cruised over to the narrows and fished for smallmouth. He was tossing a curly tail jig and hooked a 42" 23# muskie. He however was lucky enough to hook him on the top lip which rarely happens. There was an article in Field & Stream that listed some of the top muskie lures you would probaly like, I think it was in last months issue. They even talk about catching them on topwater.

Good luck would like to hear how you work out your "Muskie Dilema"
[signature]
I think it has to do with available forage. My opinion, they are feeding on smaller more available and easier to catch targets. Just because the fishy is huge doesn't mean it will turn down a easy 3" meal, especially if that easy meal is just flopping around in the water and obviously injured. I have also read article on pineview muskie that state small bait is better. Maybe that is just something exclusive to pineview. I don't know but I don't doubt it. I also noticed that there are tons of small bluegill around (no more than 6") in the narrows tight to the shore. Maybe this has something to do with it.

I just know that I'm going to continue fishing Senkos for Smallies and I'm going to try something to prevent the "muskie cut and run". If I'm succesfull you should see some muskie hooked on Senko reports this fall.

Catch a few tigers for me[Wink]

Al
[signature]
Can muskies cut through florocarbon? I never thought of that. It would be one hell of a ride though on 8 pound line. I'm looking forward to that. May not land him but at least I'll get a fight for my hardware [cool]

Al
[signature]
[#800000][size 2]Yes, they can cut flurocarbon. Try power pro, its a kinda like a braid. Thin diameter like mono, but alot stronger. You also tie 20 or 30 or even heaiver pound leader to your regular line. 3 or 4 foot of length should do ya. [/size][/#800000]
[signature]
15 - 20 lb fireline. The musky wont break it and the smallmouth will still hit as well.

I know several people who have landed muskies on 8 lb stren while fishing for smallmouth, but I would'nt want to try it myself.
[signature]
hey hustler

i have fished jsut about everytype of lure on a steel leader now. finesse baits included. i cant imagine the senko not performing right or a work in that fashion just cuz a steel leader. i think the whole line set up for certain rigs is overrated. fish eat stuff they wnat period. if it wanted the worm im sure the steel leader wouldnt have changed anything other than the hook set would have been there and you might have brought the muskie in. by the way my buddy told me he saw you there too. small world.
[signature]
Xman,

Just got some 6" steel leeders. I think that should be long enough. I'm going to give them a try tomorrow. Got some work to do in ogden then I'm shooting on over to Pineview. If anyones going to be up there just look for the guy with the Camo cap and black backpack with a camera case hanging off. I'll probably be the only one fishing Senkos.

Your buddy (what's his name?) got a good grasp on the Smallie fishing out there. I'm going to turn him into a Senko fisherman though so he doesn't lose tons of hardware.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Hey Hustler,[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Very interesting post and question.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Here's my 2 cents: [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I suspect that if it was a musky that hit you those three times, I don't think that anything other than steel leader would have survived. I say this because, as I understand it, you can't fish Pinview with cut bait because too many musky were engulfing the bait deep and then cutting the line. I think that the way you were presenting the senko was much like a cut bait scenario. I think that 20 lb. fluorocarbon might last 1 second longer and fireline might last 2 seconds longer. So I think that if you want to keep those musky hits on a senko, I think you are going to have to use steel.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Now, I have to tell you that I don't use steel leader (I use 17 lb. fluoro) but then again my presentation is a fast (4 mph) troll with crank bait. In my opinion, my method equates to lip/mouth hookups and not a deep swallow. The draw back to that is that they can throw the hook easier and I'm definitely not getting two or three musky hits in an hour.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I say definitely try your same presentation with the steel leader and let us know how it works.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]That's my 2 cents of minimum experience.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Hey Hustler,

I am the one who ran into you up on the rockslides. I heading to Sportsmans right after work to pick up a few Senkos and give them a shot tonight.

I caught around a dozen smallies last night, the largest being 15 inches. Caught them on just about everything I through at them. Curly tails to a blue and white producer that I have been using on the wipers.

Good to meet ya all!

Figured I might as well sign up and start posting some on this board.
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Welcome aboard DTH,[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I know you and Xman are out there working the waters together frequently. Good to see you jumped aboard. Hope to see you post some of your results ... cause I know you have them.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]A [#008000]BIG[/#008000] welcome to the Utah board.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Glad you decided to sign on. Did you get way back on the rocks to catch the smallies? Were they still tight to the shore or did you manage a few in deeper water? If you fish out there quite often we will run into each other again! I hiked it in to that cove under the parking lot and I couldn't keep them off. I only caught about 7 more since we parted ways but it was fun, especially the hike in and the climb back up, and that's where I had my little Muskie mishap. Let us know how you do tonight.

Good luck,

Al
[signature]
first I'm sure you had a musky hit. there are lots of thing you can try like everyone has said. I would try one of two things first they do have steel leader for jerk baits,these are mostly one strand wire and is stiff. But you are fishing a smaller bait so I would use a 20lb fire line as a leader. but dubble it up so you have 2 lines goning to the hook. that way if it cuts one you still have a fish for a sec longer. I have only had one musky cut my fire line so the odds will be with you. but also to let you know anytime that I'm fishing and thing there is a chance for a musky at all I use a steel leader.
[signature]
After I read that post about Muskies engulfing the lure I'm wondering if a 6" wire leader would be enough. What do you think? I'm also wondering if it was the same fish those 3 times. Do Muskie hang around an area and feed for a while or do they move around alot? This all took place in less than 30 minutes and if they were different fish I could have had three of them. WOW. That would have made some report [shocked].
[signature]
I think that 6" should work that the size I use most of the time when I cast for them. I thing it was the same fish. they do move around but if they have food coming to them they will stay in an area until somthing drives them away of until the food moves. but there might have been more then one in the area. they dont school but they dont run others away if there is plenty of food. hope this helped
[signature]
well howdy ho dt

nice to see you here. saw your truck up on pineview tonight. hit the pineview tonight with a bitch goose egg for the muskies. did catch the biggest smallie ive ever caught out of that lake though. it hit a # 13 jointed rapala. guess the guy didnt know his own strength. slow night hope you did better than we did.
[signature]
Teroy , Did I win . LOL
[signature]
You did HA, pm me your addy and I will get you one in the mail [Smile]
[signature]