Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Browns
I have been catching some pretty nice browns up here in Wyoming (not a giant river I'm fishing but decent sized).

Was wondering if anyone has been targeting them in Utah? Doesn't seem like it from sifting through reports. I've been told this is one of the best times of year to catch em. Seems like there would be some brown action here on the Utah boards? I am coming home this weekend and might hit somewhere for them in the ol Beehive state, if I do I'll post here.

If you want to see some pics / reports from my Wyoming trips check the BFT Wyoming section. Cheers.
[signature]
In my opinion it's great brown trout fishing in spring, fall, and summer (I don't really fish in the winter). Try the Weber or provo river. All trout techniques will work excluding power bait, it doesn't seem browns like power bait (I know, I know, you can catch brown off power bait), all I'm saying is a rainbow will more readily bite PB vs a brown.
[signature]
ive found some are showing up here in UT. the couple i caught in CO have the hook and are ready to go. cant wait till they start here in NOV!
[signature]
Is that your favorite time to target them?

I agree with what HATH said, I think they can be caught with various techniques throughout the year. I've been doing really well with 2.5" lucky craft pointers in chub colors.

Also have started fishing with 3" gulp minnows too - lost a huge one last night on gulp.

Do fly fish kochanut?
[signature]
oh i pick them up all the time, im waiting for the big tanks to show up and feed before the spwn and i fly fish for them only
[signature]
Cool man.

Will you post some pics!?[sly]

Also do you or have you ever tried targeting them at night with the fly rod?

I want to pick up fly fishing - never tried it. I mainly want to fish mouse imitations though at night... sounds like way too much fun.
[signature]
here is one of my most recent picture worthy ones

[Image: SNV82421.jpg]

right this second i am to lazy to search but i have done a few weber reports and every once in a while there is a pic of a decent brown in there
[signature]
Hey bro - told ya plastics are Whats up ... sssssh. Wink hopefully the Weber clears up soon ... I'm.getting worried.
[signature]
Yeah the river I'm fishing is clear as can be. The water is also getting really low... makes fishing a little tougher. But the fish are bunched up.

Yep I was surprised at the size fish that grabbed that gulp minnow. Freight train. Wish that fish would come back to my hole[sly]

Good luck this fall Joe.
[signature]
with the dam construction going on its very likely to remain muddy until fall of next year
[signature]
I grew up fishing for Browns on the creeks around Springville. Grasshoppers were deadly. I still target the browns when I'm fishing where they are. I find the best time for me is the summer and fall. But that is dry fly fishing.I find the rainbows fight more frisky and better on a fly rod. But rainbows are the bottom of my target because they are planted everywhere and easier to catch.
[signature]
that is NOT what i wanted to hear[:/] its not too bad here in town, i may stick with that... i hate fishing above Echo... decent fish but im not confident with catching my beasties up there. lots of browns up to 25" but i havent pulled out any better than that. here in town i have caught some close to 30 but with the flows who knows .
[signature]
I'm sure you get sick of people asking you for advice, but after spending all summer on pineview and some other reservoirs I decided to try fishin the weber today. I'm not expecting anyone to figure out the fishing for me, but I am wondering if I'm wasting my time with my light action spinning reel setup. I worked from Peterson to devils slide throwing mostly small spinners. Should I learn to fly fish to catch the browns? I understand it takes time but maybe a point in the right direction..
[signature]
he doesent fly fish he throws big hard ware
[signature]
Oh ok. If you don't mind me asking is flyfishing difficult to learn?
[signature]
im partially retarded and i learned it fairly well, but i stuck to it, was frustrating at first. i suggest you go to your local shop and ask about lessons, alot of shops have free lessons. from there your options are almost unlimited. the one thing i had the fortune of was when i was alot younger i hired a guide (worked all summer for that) and told him from the get go i wanted to learn i could care less about fish. it helped immensely
[signature]
I personally think flyfishing is a lot like golf;
1- your only competition is yourself.
2- all the lessons and money in the world won't make you successful if you don't practice.
3- the less you think about it (ie; muscle memory takes over and cognitive thought is just hearing wind), the better.
4- both CAN be pricey to start, but maintaining the habit ain't TOO bad.
E- weather only restricts you if you LET it restrict you.
6- you will lose flies or balls; they are both an inevitable and unavoidable reality you have to accept if you're going to play the game.
7- it can consume you.

The most important thing is #1. Flyfishing is just a different delivery system than spin fishing. Like Spanish and Portuguese; similarities but polar differences. You will be your own worst enemy and harshest critic, but also your biggest fan and favorite co-dependent. [Wink]
[signature]
Nice summary!
[signature]
well as for the flyfishing i cant help ya there... wanting to catch monsters on conventional gear i can hook ya up... and yes ditch the light action gear...

i use 6-7 ft md heavy rods with 10lb flouro... want big fish throw big baits, match the hatch, 3-6" baits, cranks and plastics are what i throw.
[signature]
Thanks, I will give it some more time this year. I just never knew people caught trout in a river like that lol.
[signature]