Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ogden river musky...
Has anyone on this board ever stuck one in the ogden? ?? If so how big?? And another question how many of you believe they could grow large size in the river and survive? ??[Wink]
[signature]
Hey Joe, I think that list would be a short one, with few members catching them out of the river but a few years back a kid caught one that was close to 40 inches. It was in the news paper, with a pic. Because of the fish having to fight the current and having to work harder for a meal, my guess would be that they would not do as good as they do in the lakes. Most, if not all of those bigger fish, wash down from the lake, IMO. I guess they could do ok in the slower moving water at the lower end of the Ogden. Wouldn't it be nice if a few showed up in Willard, they could sure help thin out the over abundance of shad[Wink].
[signature]
I'm sure a few of you are familiar with the Woodruff Narrows Reservoir north of Evanston, Wy.

Way back there were Tiger muskies in the river below that reservoir, most of them stayed near the outflow.

So they can live and strive in a river but I don't think it is optimal.
[signature]
Several years ago I fished that same Woodruff Narrows Res. just north of Evanston.

Not knowing what all was in there, I was pitching rapalas from the east bank and imagine my surprise when something slammed it and ran parallel up the shore not stopping in the slightest- and effectively snapping my line (drag wasn't properly set).

Something I'll never forget.
[signature]
What little I know about Musky and Northern's, they don't like lots of current. I am sure that they have gone over/thru the dam at Pineview, but they would seek slack water, thereby moving downstream till they hit the lower river/Willard. That last mile or so of the Ogden would be the place to look if you were serious about trying to get one in the river !!
I have !!! In my cast net pounding the holes for suckers and shiners was only bout 28in but i know there aside from what i seen in my net!!! Seen a high 30s out by slaterville on the lower too..
[signature]
You mean like this one ..[Wink] this is my buddy colter we were fishing browns last week and guess what [cool]
[Image: 2011-09-28185759.jpg]
37"
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2] Wouldn't it be nice if a few showed up in Willard, they could sure help thin out the over abundance of shad[Wink].[/quote]

I personally witnessed a TM of about 40" caught this spring off the north dike @ Willard by a guy fishing for crappies. Dude thought he had a big 'ole carp....imagine his surprize when that toad finally rolled in! I know I was shocked!
[signature]
That does not surprise me, I also remember a few years back someone talking about catching one in the bay. It seems they do make their way to Willard from time to time but it far smaller numbers than it will take to thin out those big numbers of shad. I bet it was a hoot to watch the guy reel it in. Hopefully the guy released it and it is still in there.
[signature]
[quote lavaman]- and effectively snapping my line (drag wasn't properly set).
[/quote]

You sure it wasn't just a bad knot? You gotta learn how to tie those on better! [:p]

So - if ya catch one from below Pineview - and not at Pineview - and it's over 40" can ya keep it and cook it?

I know out in the midwest/north they have Musky and Pike in rivers, but I think they tend to be bigger, wider, slower moving waters.

I've love to see some find their way into Cutler/Bear river - that's be fun!
Naw..I've been tying my trusty polymar knot ever since I was 16. Chalk this one up to 'not checking the drag'. Ever since then, the drag has been dead on - lesson learned.
[signature]
Ya allready seen it !!! Byrne sent it to me last week..Them Tigers are depleting the minnows and suckas big time out west.. I did well this summer on shiners-suckas-carp and sculpin but not near as well as yrs past..[Wink]
[signature]
Aaaah its you! your his buddy that was talking me up!!![Tongue]! I Was wondering who it was on this site that knew him!!!! Good peoples for sure... thanks for the kind words!
Joe
[signature]
Muskies and northerns are found in many rivers in the U.S. and in Canada and do quite well with the current. They use it to their advantage to catch food, just like any other fish in a river. I have caught northerns in fast moving water in Canada.
[signature]
A friend of mine claims to have seen a dead 40 incher out in cutler. I believe it. Muskies do just fine in rivers if not better. Have y'all taken the dwr survey about where you want have tiger muskie? Hopefully next spring they are ready to do their thing at the warmwater hatchery. The state "only" needs to put two or three hundred thousand out there in cutler to put a dent in the carp population. Gotta love them carp. Mmmm... Ever seen the carp numbers up the lower logan?...pretty impressive..Carp carp carp carp carp+ some browns
[signature]
Personally I would love to see Tiger Muskies in places like Cutler, Utah Lake, and Mantua. There are pros and cons of course, and each has their liking.
[signature]
so "up the lower logan" - where do you get at that? Is that running along Valley View? We checked out that canoe launch, or nature access - whatever they call it - that you hit before the boat-launch site - heading west.
It was was flooded back then - early spring. But the tadpoles were happy about that!

Have wondered how far east you can go from the boat launch. And if the river connects in - can you float up it?
I have seen a pic of one out in Pintail Flats by the GSL. A buddy of mine was duck hunting and it was in shallow water and probably pushed 40". Thought of puting some big trebles on a teal decoy[Wink]
[signature]
so "up the lower logan" - where do you get at that?
Answer= private property... Slick and I once launched my duck boat and floated down under the mendon hwy bridge clear down to valley view, thats a 12 hour float with fishing line wrapped up in the electric motor. But ya lots of carp. They don't go too far up the Logan past the LR golf course because of the temp but they are clear up the blacksmith fork up almost to the mouth of the canyon, plus they're way up the little bear to the spillway at hyrum. There is some "walk in access" that would put you into giant brownville south of the shooting range. Just put them big ones back in the water when your done will ya? All that river would be sweet with muskies, one lure for all..a blue fox spinner!
Sorry lava but mantua needs to remain a trophy bass fishery, no need to ruin a good thing. Gets too hot there anyways, I would bet that any muskie there would die if it were to get caught in the summer time.
[signature]