Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Henry's Lake
We just got back yesterday from a three day trip to Henry's Lake. It started snowing in Rexburg on Thursday at 10:30 AM and it did not stop snowing on us until sometime after 10:00 PM Friday night at Henry's Lake. We fished in front of the Stake Park campground in constant snow and wind. It was instant fish on at 3:00 PM once I got in the lake. Light Brown flash woolly and a grey scud was doing the trick. The next day it was a #8 and #10 brown leech pattern. The Brown leech was the choice of the majority of the people fishing, although some were using dries at the docks and catching plenty. They were in 3 to 4 feet of water. Out of 22 fish only one was a brookie and the rest were cutts. Did I say my hands and feet got cold? Thursday the water temp was 54 to 56 degrees and the next morning it water temperature was 42. It was Friday that our feet froze. We did have fun and are planning on making it an annual trip.
[signature]
Wow, you guys are tough! That looks like some cold, wet, and miserable conditions, but if you are ready to do it again, it must have been some really good fishing.
[signature]
You sure on the water temp? I have never heard of a lake dropping that quick. the 50's sounds perfect. I can relate to these conditions all too well. They are Brutal, but can so be worth it. Seems I catch my biggest fish in these conditions.,,,[laugh][laugh]
But, that Tent Trailer makes me cold. We had a Hybrid. A regular box trailer with two flip out tents for bed. I ended up lining the tent portion with Packing quilts and using a mattress warmer because of the electricity, and THAT was cold.

Way to TROUT BUM it you guys...jealous for sure.
[signature]
I was up there on wednesday and friday also.... my flys were a zebra midge on friday during that insanely cold weather, and wednesday was olive beadhead wooly bugger. Man was it worth it, even with the cold. Those were my first two trips to Henrys. Many to come!!!!
[signature]
Saw you guys friday morning. And yes the conditions were brutal. We were going to throw flys until we saw the conditions. So trolling was what happened for us. Between 9 to 12:30 We boated around 16, all but 2 were hybrids and the other 2 were smaller brookies. Fog was bad news for the trolling. No gps on the boat so I was glad for cell service and google maps. Ended up driving from the north end back to the state docks 100% via phone navigations.

Guys fishing between the docks were doing well it looked like.
[signature]
As for the temperature drop in the water I am just going by what my Fishing Buddy was saying and also my toes. It was a big difference from Thursday to Friday and we were in very shallow water so I don't know if the Fishing Buddy was not giving the right read on the temperature. It was worth it, although at times I had to question myself and wonder if I get more stupid with age.
[signature]
Wow, that is hard core. Glad you were rewarded for your efforts, though!
[signature]
heres my biggest cut from wednesday
[signature]
I knew the weather would be insane up there. I was packed and loaded on Thursday night. Set the alarm for early AM, then got a sinus cold so bad it made my left eye feel like it was going to pop out and my ear was throbbing. Needless to say I did not sleep well and didn't feel good in the morning. I took some more medicine and felt great by about 2. I was bummed that my cold had wacked my day at Henrys.

I might make it this Sat. depending on the results of my sons football game on Tuesday. Of course I hope he wins but if he doesn't then....I win.[Wink]

Windriver
[signature]
I have too work 2 more days and then I am headed up for 12 days . I will split my fishing time between Island Park Res. and Henry's . I also have a Deer and Wolf tag in case I bump into one . Curt G.
[signature]
If your a goose guy better toss in the shotty, had over 200 geese come over us at about 25 feet while we were there friday.
[signature]
Nice photos. Thought I was the only one brave enough to tent trailer it at Henrys in October. Was at Henrys October 15 - 25, 2005 with 15 degree nights. Toasty inside. Last year set up in 45 mph wind and snow flurries, had 4 beautiful days and then tore down in 40 mph blizzard upon leaving. Just threw everything in, cranked it down and dried it out in the garage when we got home. (did I mention that was my previous RV...)
My sunset avatar is from that trip.
Enjoy.
[signature]
Oh yea I have my duck stamp and 12 mag. One day last year I got my limit of geese and trout at Trudes . Curt G.
[signature]
A true Feathers and Fins trip Curt...awesome.
[signature]
My uncle and I were on the lake friday and saturday. Friday and first part of the day Saturday were pretty ugly, but we did manage to take some fish and we had a good time. I even took the biggest fish of my life!!! A really nice hybrid. We estimate that is was about 27" and 7-8 pounds. It really was a great fish, and great weekend for fishing. We hooked about 40 fish on saturday between the two of us. Other than the cold and ever changing wind, it was a really great weekend.
[signature]
Welcome to BFT. Thanks for the pics.

Windriver
[signature]
That is some hard core fishing there. We did it last year in November and had a snow storm come in. There was ice on the water at the dock, we froze the jets on the boats putting them in, the water froze in my camper and the fishing was not nearly as good as you guys did. It was so cold that all the wheels on the boat trailers froze solid. We learned that it is very hard to back a boat trailer backwards into the water when the tires do not turn. Even after we got them unthawed in the water and pulled the boats out, they started to freeze and lock up again. I guess -12 is a little cold to be camping and fishing there. I think the high that day was 9.
I do not think I would have been out there on a toon this last weekend, but you never know.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]A true Feathers and Fins trip Curt...awesome.[/quote]

We call em cast and blasts [cool]
[signature]
Welcome to BFT, and congratulations on some nice fish.
[signature]
We learned that if you only use the heater in a tent trailer when you are only in the trailer and then also turned it off at night it will last until about 8:30 in the morning on Saturday if you arrive at noon on Thursday. We couldn't have timed that any better. It shut off as we were breaking down the trailer at that time. The heater sure helped dry out our wet things (gloves, coats, etc.) when we came off the lake. Why is the weather just great until the day I go. Maybe I should post every time I am going so that you know not to go on those days because it will be terrible weather. We thought there would be less people than were actually there because of the snow. The wind was not really bad on Thursday and Friday, but the sun would have helped make fishing more comfy.
[signature]