Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Renegade foot bar mods
[cool][#0000ff]On my posted trip to Lincoln Beach, I wanted to try out my new "foot stirrups". [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The standard foot bar on the Renegade is supposed to serve as a place to prop your feet or to use as a stopper when you are rowing. But the reality is that it is far too close to the seat to work for anybody bigger than average height. I am MUCH bigger, so I find it impossible to even get my flippered feet up under and then onto the bar. And then my knees are so bunched up in front of me that I cannot use the oars anyway.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]My solution was to rig up foot "stirrups" on either side of the craft...using the hard rubber connectors supplied for the foot bar setup. These were made from 1" schedule 40 PVC and are very stout. They are not strong enough to permit standing on them but they held up under a lot of pressure I put on them...both while rowing and while under electric motor power.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]I used 3/8" bolts on my first attempt, but found that ring pins worked just as well...and were easier to install and remove for more compact packing of the Renegade.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]The models in the attached pics used a couple of PVC joints...including a 45 degree angle connector. After using them once I plan to use just a straight piece of pipe from the hard rubber connection to the "stirrup" portion at the bottom. That will create a straight line pull and the length can be cut to fit the operators desired size.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]The big thing I wanted to accomplish is being able to bring up my fin-clad feet and prop them on something without having to hit myself in the face with my knees...and then to be able to just as easily disengage when ready. Mission accomplished. And the stirrups did not get in the way of using my fins...or of landing fish.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
tty neat idea. I always looked at the foot bar and shook my head. I did not like how it went all the way across. I like the opening inbetween for landing fish.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The "trick" to the whole thing was making the piece of PVC into a connector. I cut a couple of inches down into a piece of sched 40 PVC and then used a heat gun to soften that end. Then I forced a piece of wood down into the softened top and flattened both sides against a table. When cooled and hardened I cut the end to shape and drilled the holes for the bolt/pin to run through. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Better living through PVC...with a little help from a heat gun once in a while.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The opening also makes it easier to launch and beach your ride without having to disconnect a solid foot bar to get in and out of the seat.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Very cool idea T. I am curious as to how they hold up when you need to bare down.
So far I see that as a winning idea.
We modified ours as you know, with links of chain connected to the bar. The old man prefers to row more than anything.

I showed you how I rest my heels on the bar, but there has been times I thought for sure, I was going to pull those rubber connectors on the boat right off from rowing hard.

Albino, it is really no different landing a fish with or without the bar...it isn't in the way, and it does make a nice brace for the net to rest on.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]As a semi- quick (half fast) engineer...especially in matters PVC...I am confident that the physics are sound. The weight distribution will be in a straight line with the design of the rubber holders on the pontoons. In other words, no twist. So they should hold up to the capacity of the materials and the original design.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I used them both as an ankle rest and as a brace for rowing. They seemed to take all the pressure I wanted to apply.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I can see them as a "custom design" option that can be lengthened or shortened according to the users' individual size and preferences.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Real easy to make you a pair to try out if you like. Still haven't paid the week's rental on your Renny.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The smokitty was just the security deposit.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I would love to try them. Tues and Thursday are my work days next week.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Let's see how Wednesday shapes up for Deer Creek.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Works for me.
[signature]
TubeDude, that is a great idea I am not a fan of the bar either, I am always catching my flippers on the bar. I am going to have to try this.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Just don't try to use them as a kick starter.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Lotsa ways of rigging them up. Had another guy make one out of 3/4" aluminum pipe. Cut and flattened the end for the fitting on the toon and then used a pipe bender for the foot rest. Simple and effective.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The opening in the rubber attachment is about 3/8" so that is the size hole to drill and the bolt to rig. Also helps to use washers to reduce wear on the rubber fitting.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
A little pricy, but I am thinking these"

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=1653

I saw them on one of Daves boats awhile back and they are clean and slick
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Look like they would do the job. Adjustability too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]By the way, I am bringing along a set for you tomorrow. Also some "lunch" snackies.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Very nice! Looks like this may be my first ever PVC pipe construction project. I'm 6'3"; am I going to have trouble getting my feet up on the bar? (Haven't inflated the Renegade yet)

Just below the mount point, you have what looks like a straight coupling. Is this just for reinforcement of the pipe? Or is it actually coupling the piece mounted to the rubber mount to the extension below? (If so, can I do it with just 1 piece?)

Can you send me the dimensions of your prototype? Also, your height? It might give me an idea of where to start . . .

Once again - well done! Cheers,
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Like a lot of my prototype PVC projects, I put that one together before trying it on the water. It worked great but I could quickly see that a simple straight shaft with a "J" stirrup on the bottom would work equally well. So to make one for your own personal body size and leg length you simply need to sit on the seat and extend your legs to the point you want them to rest...with a bit of bend in the knees. Then measure down on the side of the pontoon to that point and make your PVC cuts accordingly.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In short, I tried to get all fancy with the fitting but it ain't necessary. You could do the same thing with a piece of 1" aluminum or copper pipe...bent to create the stirrup. You just have to flatten the top to fit the rubber attachment on the side of the pontoon and then cut a 3/8" hole for the bolt and ring clip attachment.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I don't have a lot of other pics and Flygoddess now has my first model.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am also 6'3" and YES you will have problems with the bar. That was the main motivator to make the stirrups.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
TD,

Sorry to keep nagging you about this modification. I just have one more question. The first time I looked at your photos, I wondered if that foot bar had any other function than a foot rest. Does it serve in any way to prevent the tubes from spreading out? (Not sure if this is even a valid question, i.e., what might possibly push them apart??)

Probably, the only other valid function would be to prevent the boat from floating away while standing in the water fishing?

Again, thanks for your advice.

Cheers,
Bob Hendry
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]A footrest is about the only function they serve. No need for a "stabilizer bar" like some of the earlier open front float tubes used to have. The design of the Renegade is such that when inflated it provides plenty of support for itself. Rock solid. No spreading or no collapsing inward.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Once you get a chance to "experience" your new ride you will have a healthy respect for the strength and stability engineered into it.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
My experience with the foot bar is as TD pointed out, not needed and I have gone out many times without, BUT, it is very important when it comes to rowing. Not all the time. On calm water or slight breeze, I rest my heels on the bar. Enough to get my feet out of the water.
But, there has been times that a storm moved in and it was hard core rowing. I swore I was going to bend the bar and some have.
I do have my reservations on PVC in these cases, but for normal use, I are fine.

Before I got TD's foot pegs, I opted to not use the bar that comes with the boats these days and use NFO's older version. It is a pipe with two S carabiners.

Here, links of chain was added to the pipe as both my Hubby and myself have 36" inseams.

[Image: renegadebar1.jpg]

[Image: renegadebar2.jpg]

The carabiners make for quick easy connects and disconnects. While on the lake I would unclip mine and the bar reached the seat area, where it would rest till I needed it.

Once again. Tube Dudes foot pegs are awesome though and I have enjoyed them the couple of times I have tried them since.
I will try to get a shot next trip, although they are now BLACK...LOL
[signature]
Hi, FG:

I'd hate to lose the foot bar overboard, might there be a way to make the foot bar float? Maybe fill the inside of the foot bar with foam. Or cobble up a custom stout oak dowel foot bar, which would solve both the bending and possible loss, that is what I use on my boats.

Hope this helps.

Pon

[quote flygoddess]My experience with the foot bar is as TD pointed out, not needed and I have gone out many times without, BUT, it is very important when it comes to rowing. Not all the time. On calm water or slight breeze, I rest my heels on the bar. Enough to get my feet out of the water.
But, there has been times that a storm moved in and it was hard core rowing. I swore I was going to bend the bar and some have.
I do have my reservations on PVC in these cases, but for normal use, I are fine.

Before I got TD's foot pegs, I opted to not use the bar that comes with the boats these days and use NFO's older version. It is a pipe with two S carabiners.

Here, links of chain was added to the pipe as both my Hubby and myself have 36" inseams.

[.IMG][url "http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/FlyGoddess/Renegade/renegadebar1.jpg[/IMG]"]http://i44.photobucket.com/...negadebar1.jpg[/IMG][/url]

[.IMG][url "http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/FlyGoddess/Renegade/renegadebar2.jpg[/IMG]"]http://i44.photobucket.com/...negadebar2.jpg[/IMG][/url]

The carabiners make for quick easy connects and disconnects. While on the lake I would unclip mine and the bar reached the seat area, where it would rest till I needed it.

Once again. Tube Dudes foot pegs are awesome though and I have enjoyed them the couple of times I have tried them since.
I will try to get a shot next trip, although they are now BLACK...LOL[/quote]
[signature]
Filling with foam is a wise choice and I also thought of injecting foam. The original foot bar that NFO offered was Aluminum and had end caps so it did float.
I did loose mine through my error to the depths. I ended up putting a leash or a tether on mine. Sealing the ends is an option.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The thought occurs to me that a length of heavy nylon rope with a clip on either end would work just as well. And you could slide on a short length of foam swim noodle or small buoy in the middle to help prevent loss.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[signature]