Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10/15/11 Willow-Mohave
More of a lurker than a poster but figured it was time for my first post.

My 11 year daughter and I decided to try the river Saturday and launched from Willow Beach in our new boat. Only the 3rd time we have had it out so still learning big time. We messed around heading down the river for hours and just didn't see a lot on the Sonar so kept going south and then further south and then... Eventually I gave up on the Stripers and tried some shore areas where she caught some SMBs. Nothing big. So finally I was what the heck lets go all the way to Mohave for the heck of it. Sight see, etc. We got down there into the upper end of the lake and headed towards the Arizona side to start looking for some LMB/SMB and the water erupted! Game on. 3 hours of straight boils from 11 in the afternoon until 2. We caught nothing under 5 pounds and landed well over 40 fish. Most being in the upper 7-10 pound arena. Most of the afternoon we each had one on at the same time which kept me realllly busy trying to fight mine and land hers at the same time! It ended up being a day neither of us will soon forget. My daughter caught her new big fish record with a 10.0 pounder and beat me out for the biggest fish of the day with my biggest coming in at 9 3/4. What made it even that much more fun is that we were using light tackle. My daughter was using a medium spinning rod and 8lb line and I was using a medium baitcaster with 12 pound line. Neither of us lost a fish or any tackle all day. Talk about some fun!

[font "Calibri"][Image: LakeMohave10-15-11_02.jpg][/font]

If you happen to see a blue Tracker boat with a guy and young girl in it come on over and say hi (Tom and Madison). We have been launching out of Echo as far as Lake Mead to avoid the crowds and with this latest excursion I see us launching out of Cottonwood here in the near future for the next couple of outings [Smile]

Tom
[signature]
That's awesome!!!!!! Thanks for speaking up and sharing the report..[fishon]
[signature]
Sounds like an amazing day. Thanks for sharing. I've have never seen 5-10 pound stripers boiling, that's amazing. Were they chasing trout? Did you see shad? [fishon]
[signature]
I was totally shocked that every single one we caught was big. We have gotten into several boils since we got the boat on Lake Mead and they were all 1-2 pounders. I was thinking the entire time this was a near once in a lifetime deal so I did my best to not waste time and keep catching them as long as they were there.

They were chasing shad. I shot a quick video on my cell phone of one my daughter had finally tired out and gotten close to the boat and he was burping up shad by the dozen.

[url "http://youtu.be/bW73bCF8YJs"]http://youtu.be/bW73bCF8YJs[/url]

Tom
[signature]
We ended up keeping 14 of them. I have a 30 gallon rear and 20 gallon forward livewell and both were packed. I added ice from our cooler to keep the temps down till I had time to get them cleaned up since there was more fish than water in those livewells. They were hitting the cranks we were tossing so hard and just totally choking on them that I just couldn't get the hooks out and release them w/o the thought they were going to die. Since many times the trebles were down in the gills. More fish than I wanted to have to bring home by a long shot and certainly WAY more than I remotely wanted to have to fillet but got it done and they are in the freezer. I nearly filled a 5 gallon bucket with fillets by the time I finished.

I cooked up the smallest one we had for my daughter and myself at 9PM Saturday night once everything was cleaned up and put away. First time I have eaten Striper and I will have to say the best fish meal I have ever eaten. I am pretty happy to have a nice stockpile of Striper sitting in my freezer right now [Wink]
[signature]
Welcome and thanks for posting, Tom. That is cool footage of the striper regurgitating the shad next to the boat. Once in a lifetime may be right, but the memory will last forever. Good times [fishon]
[signature]
thats a day right there.. awesome report [Wink]
[signature]
Welcome. That is a remarkable day right there. Hope you continue to be a poster!
[signature]
I plan on it.

What we ended up taking home. Stuff that would of died due to hook removal. Lots of bigger ones were turned loose.

[Image: LakeMohave10-15-11_11.jpg]
[signature]
Very good report, i have been hearing the quality of fish is improving in Mohave.
[signature]
That sounds like a great day of fishing! A buddy of mine had something very similiar happen to him near six mile cove several years ago...they had camped out on his pontoon boat and woke up to a massive boil right by the boat. Between the three of them they caught about 20 stripers all 5 pounds and bigger with the biggest being seventeen pounds. They were chasing trout. I have never seen shad in Lake Mohave but your video is proof they are in there.Great job[cool]
[signature]
WOW! Amazing! GREAT video and picture. Your daughter will always remember those awesome times spent on the water! Way to go.
BaySport
[signature]
Good job Tom, i see you have switched to the same hobby as me... Looks like you are really enjoying it too.

Toby[Image: happy.gif][Image: bobwink.gif][Image: happy.gif][Image: bobwink.gif][Image: happy.gif][Image: bobwink.gif]
[signature]
Thanks/Awesome Toby. One expensive hobby to another. Life. Actually getting out of the other allowed me to save up for the boat [cool] We had been fishing for years since Madi really loves it but a boat was out of the question when I was still racing due to the costs there. Now we are having a ball. A boat sure makes a difference IMO on the fun factor.
[signature]
[quote wolfs4evr] A boat sure makes a difference IMO on the fun factor.[/quote]

I'll second that.
[signature]