Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Bay Help wanted
Help Wanted. Needed someone to help show a wiper/walleye newbie the ropes. I have a boat and gear just can't seem to find the right combination to beat the Willard Bay Stink.[pirate] Thanks
[signature]
bottom bounce a crawler harness. Willard will give all of us the skunk stink however. It's a difficult water full of bugs which keeps me off of there most of the year. I'm no expert but I catch more of both species doing that then any other way there. Troll .05-1.5 GPS speed. Typically slow for the eyes. When I go 1.5 I'm off the bottom and have picked up the wipers then. Heck I've gone 2.5 and caught them. It's all about the day and what the fish want. I'm not real patient, I do something different always. Colors of blades, speed, then I'll switch to cranks, I have not has as much luck with the cranks however. I know that's contrary to others, I guess it's just my go to feel good confidence is with the crawler harnesses on a bottom bouncer.
[signature]
+ 1 what submoa said, i however am not skilled in the bottom bouncing area, so my go to is washing lures! When the water temp is cold like after ice up to mid spring i prefer to run shallow diving cranks for the wipers and a lil deeper diving ones for the walleye. A popular lure for wallys are the walleye diver, i like to run jointed shad raps, lc 78s and floating rapalas. When the water warms up and the fish go deeper i run the bigger deeper diving shad raps both jointed and non jointed. I troll my lures any where from 1.5 to 3.5 mph. If you want more info pm me
[signature]
Thanks for the ideas. 1.5-3.5 miles per hour? Maybe I have been trolling WAY to slow. .5 to .75 max. Can't hurt to try a little more speed.
[signature]
For eyes, I do troll at .5, like I said I'm impatient and if they arent hitting at that speed I change blades, then speeds. Last but not least, hand grenades.
[signature]
Ok hand over the hand grenades! 6 hours on Saturday and only 2 little cats. I did learn I am one expert at that bottom bouncing, one snag after another.[Wink]
[signature]
If you're snagging up a lot, you might be letting out too much line with the bottom bouncer. Don't give up yet!
[signature]

your bottom bouncer should touch bottom when you drop your rod tip back about 15in. at a speed of about .8 to 1.3. you need to touch bottom about every 3 to 5 seconds and adjust you line depth according to the depth. you don't want the bottom bouncer to drag.
[signature]