Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 great days, and some of the ogdens finest browns!
Decided to head to Ogden on Thursday to do some fishing and visit family. Headed straight to the river and got there at about 1:30. Really low now somewhere around 50 cfs i think, and for some reason it is still super murky. Couldn't even see a fish in 6 inches of water. I was kinda bummed about it but luckily it worked in my favor! Started throwing streamers, but had no hits out of pools that usually produce. Saw a few rises but couldn't see any flies. Decided i better tie on a griffith's gnat and WOW what a night!!! Caught the first fish out of a few inches of water that i sight casted for, and it turned out to be one of the best of the night and a lot bigger than the Ogden usually produces.

[inline IMG_0390.JPG]
Caught 2 more out of the same stretch of riffles and moved up to a really calm pool. The murky water really worked in my benefit cause i didnt have to be as delicate with my casts. The fish didnt spook nearly as easy! Caught this beauty and a couple others.
[inline IMG_0393.JPG]
The color on this little guy was amazing!
[inline IMG_0397.JPG]

[inline IMG_0398.JPG]
I even caught a cutthroat! First one caught on the Ogden below Pineview and ive been fishing there for like 15 years ha ha. And i've never even heard of anybody else catching one. Must have escaped from wheeler creek.
[inline IMG_0396.JPG]
The next hole up Produced about five more including this big guy.
[inline IMG_0399.JPG]
Moved up to the next hole and lost a 18 to 19 incher, the griffith's gnats pop so easy! I tied on a streamer and lost a few more big ones. Then something happened that you don't hear about every day, caught somebody elses line in the bottom of the pool and i as i pulled it in to unsnag it started to fight! Poor fish was hooked and the other end of the line was tangled down in the depths. the poor guy had been on a leash for who knows how long. Got him in and set him free. I called it a night, quite satisfied with about 20 fish landed and some good fights on my 3 wt. Spotted a 20+ getting ready to spawn so that was cool too, couldn't seem to get a good cast on it though.

I ended up staying the night at my parents so i could get another day in before work. Woke up and hit the water before the light did. Nothing would take the gnat this morning, nothing was hatching yet. So i decided to try a streamer and wow that was the right choice!! started slaying them including some small bass, by far the best streamer fishing i've ever experienced and now i'm addicted! They sure slam it when they hit! This was the first picture worthy fish.
[inline IMG_0402.JPG]
Fished the smallest riffles and the fish always seemed to be there, i couldnt keep them off my line! Then i moved up to the main hole i wanted to fish. As i snuck up on it all was calm and then at the head of the pool a big brown launched out of the water twice so i creeped my way up as quiet as i could. 1st cast i saw him flash and worried i missed my chance. 2nd cast my streamer hit the water, made one strip, then the slam and the drag was screamin! Couple minutes later landed this Ogden River beast!!
[inline IMG_0403.JPG]

[inline IMG_0405.JPG]

[inline IMG_0406.JPG]
Ended up catching quite a few more but my camera died... really wish it didn't, i caught a beautiful male with extremely vibrant spots. Five bright neon spots on the tiny adipose fin. As soon as it warmed up and got lighter they stopped hitting the streamer, so i tied on a nymph and caught one before i had to leave. It was a cold morning but well worth it!

All in all it was an amazing two days! One of my most memorable days on the Ogden by far! Sure glad i made the impulsive trip down! Fall brown fishing is amazing...and addictive!
[signature]
cool!
[signature]
Plus two...cool.
[signature]
Amazing and impressive! Sounds like you had a great experience and it makes me JEALOUS. Those are some good looking browns you there. Thanks for the detailed report. Seems like the most memorable moments happen when the camera dies. Happened all the time while backcountry skiing.

I have only seen a "leashed" trout landed once in front of me. I always wonder how the hell they get tangled to be brought all the way in? Once a Sportsmans buddy of mine told me about one of "my kitties" he caught at Utah Lake. He hooked the Eagle claw loop though and boy was he surprised that he even landed it. I was shocked as I released it on the other side of the dike and it went right back to the exact spot where I caught it.
[signature]