Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Halverson Lake Fishing Report
I'm a little late, but I went camping at Halverson Lake at the end of August. Halverson is a warmwater lake fed by a waterfall of runoff irrigation water that cascades down the cliffside, as well as a natural seepage of the Snake River. It is an oasis in the barren landscape of sagebrush. It has decent spots for camping with more trees and flowering bushes than you'd expect. The easiest way to access it is from Celebration Park, Idaho's first archeological park. Upon arriving at Celebration, continue driving to the back of the park right along the river. You will arrive at a trailhead that has a map and some information about the area. The area has numerous trails and game trails. the main, and most obvious trail is about a mile, but if you look at Google Earth, or look around, you will find a trail that is a little shorter and easier. I fished in the evening with a friend of mine on some boulders on the side closer to the river, opposite the cliff. It started slow because I spent 60% of my time helping my friend tie knots and fix his bird's nests, but soon it picked up. I was fishing a bobber and worm. My first fish was this bluegill, which I thought was huge (I'm used to 3 inch urban pond
bluegill) [inline "Screen shot 2011-10-23 at 3.26.49 PM.png"]

After this one, I caught a little Largemouth, and then pulled in this beast:
[inline "Screen shot 2011-10-23 at 3.24.06 PM.png"]
[inline "Screen shot 2011-10-23 at 3.23.47 PM.png"]

That was the largest bluegill I've ever caught. And then things slowed down after I caught this:
[inline "Screen shot 2011-10-23 at 3.25.54 PM.png"]

Thats the biggest Largemouth I've ever caught as well. (I like trout fishing better)

Overall, this is one of my favorite places to camp and fish, especially if I'm in the mood for Bass and Bluegill. Thanks for suffering through all that if you did. Any questions I can answer! I'll try to do more of these as I continue to enjoy the outdoors and the great sport of fishing.

Tight lines,
Teenfisherman
[signature]
Great pictures and report. Those are some nice fish!
[signature]
Nice report and pics, TF. Keep the reports coming! Mike
[signature]
Nice report about a littlle out of the way spot. Thanks.
[signature]
I fished Halverson back in the 70's when you could go thru the farmer's property and hike down the hill. I caught 3 & 4 lb bass out of there out of my raft. Some fun times back then, glad to see it is still a good fishery.
[signature]
Halverson brings back memories for me too. We used to drive up the river and then hike over a hill to the lake. On one trip a friend caught a 7 pound LM there on a spinnerbait. He even got his picture in the Nampa paper with that fish. We fibbed to the reporter and said it was caught in Lake Lowell to keep people from flocking to Halverson.
[signature]
I've never fished at Halverson, but I sure have shot many many Rockchucks there back in the 80's.
Seems like we could drive right to it then.
[signature]
Nice Pics. I will have to try that place out when I am over there for something in the future.

Windriver
[signature]