Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview, Bullwinkel, and fish thief.
I had quite the interesting night up on Pineview yesterday. I started off fishing with some senkos (first time using them)around 5pm. I was getting alot of bites and landing a few fish. Missing most due to the fish short striking on the end of the senko. Fun learning a new technique. Thanks Hustler!

At 6:30 I heard some rocks rolling and turned to see BullWinkel standing on the edge of the shore approximatley 70 yards away. What I sight. This is where it gets interesting. BullWinkel decided to go for a swim. He got about a 3rd of the way accross the narrows and decides to come back to the shore, but he is angleing towards me. He gets back to the shore about 150' to the east of me but the shore is too steep and rocky for him to get out of the water. He could get his front legs on shore, but couldn't finish the chore. He would then swim down the shore(towards me) a few yards and try again. No luck. Finally realizing he would not be able to exit the water he starts swimming directly towards me. Now I am getting a little nervous. Its amazing how fast they can swim. I start banging some rocks with a little yelling to get his attention to let him know I was there. (with a little hiking up the rockslide on my own part) He finally sees me and bolts back out accross the narrows. I am guessing he got within 30' of me. I could see the red inside his nostrals. He swam all the way accross only to realize that shore over there is steeper and just as rocky. So back accross the channel he swam to exit the lake where he entered it.

A few minutes later, a mink swims past me just a few feet from shore. He climbed out of the water scurried over to have a gander at me. He was only a few feet away. What a cute little guy. I kept working down the bank, missing a few fish here and there unable to hook up. I noticed the mink was following me. Since the Senkos were not doing the trick any more, I put on a shad rap. Next cast hooked a 16 in smallie. The fish was big enough that I didn't dare lift it out of the water for fear of breaking my line. I pulled the fish up next to shore and just started to reach for it when the mink grabbed ahold of it and started dragging it back into the crevices. The Tug-o-was on! I didn't dare grab the fish,(we were only 2' from each other) so I pulled on the line. The little bugger had each foot braced on a rock pulling with all his might. The harder I pulled, the harder he pulled with him hissing at me. Finally the line broke and drug the fish with my shad back into the rocks. I could hear him chewing on the fish along with my shad rap boucing on the rocks. I was worth the cost of the lure for the experience. I tied on another shad rap and began fishing again. A few minutes later, my little buddy was right back at my feet waiting for me to catch another fish. The last fish he got away with probably weighed as much as he did. I was amazed at the greed of this little guy. I caught another smallie about 10 inches and was able to hoist it out of the water to my hands. There the mink was standing on his hind legs looking at me, or I should say the fish in my hands. I hurried an unhooked the fish and through it back into the water. He immediatly dove in the water after the bass. The fish made a clean escape. The mink followed me for about 20 more minutes before he ran back off to his first prize.

This will be a day fishing I will never forget. Hustler, if you get down near the cable, you might see my new friend. Careful, he might become your friend too.
That is funny, I would have loved to seen this!!! That mink has probably been around for awhile. Now what would be funny, is to catch a 40 + inch tiger and see what that dirty scoundral would do!!!![cool]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Oh man DTH,[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]That was a great story. Sounds like a camera would have made it even more memorable.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I suggest that your post be awarded [#804040]"Post of the Week"[/#804040].[/size][/font]
[signature]
Great story DTHagen. I enjoyed reading it, I agree with Old_coot, this is just to great to pass up.
[signature]
Great story, wish I could have been there.
[signature]
That is so cool ! I think it's great when wild things let you be apart of there world, cind of makes you forget about our's. thanks for letting us be aprt on it by posting on the page and glad to see you get on with us.
[signature]
Great story. That would of been cool to see. Oh yes welcome to the site.
[signature]
its too bad i missed that one. mgb and i were way to busy getting skunked. by the way thanks again mgb for the hospitality and the knowledge you have shared with me.

and as for the mink i had a similar situation minus the steeling the fish and lure part. haha i would have loved to seen that. well montana will have its own stories to come back with for sure.
[signature]

definitely worth the reading time.
Thank you.
Mink are smart critters,there is one down at Utah lake,end of provo harbor dike that will get you catch if your not watching.
[signature]
Great adventure, thank you for sharing.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
Great story, DT! Mink are smart little devils. I used to TRY to trap them back in Kansas when I was young. I never got one; never even hooked one like you did.[shocked]
[signature]
Great report DTH and good to have you on the site. Sometimes catching fish is secondary to some of the things you see when your there and withlife can make a bad trip good and a good trip great. WH2
[signature]
Great story! As for the senko's it sounds like you may be setting the hook too fast or not hard enough. When you feel the weight give him a second then set it hard. You will still miss fish but senko's will save the day when the fish aren't actively feeding. They can't resist the horizontal drop and subtle wiggling and erratic action. As it get's later in the evening a faster moving bait like a shad rap would be a better choice. You can cover more water this way. I'm never at the cable late in the evening I usually end my hike at the point under the parking area then climb straight up at dark but next time I think I will try the cable area late. Looks like I keep missing you. You were there wed & fri and I weas there Thur. I would like to see your shad rap techique, I lost one a while ago to a fiesty rock and never tried one since.
[signature]