Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Green River First
I floated the dreaded A section of the Green today from the Dam to Little Hole. Launched the (new) raft at 10 am, and floated until dark. Fishing was ok. Not spectacular, but we caught fish all the way down on both dries and streamers. A few decent browns from 15-18 inches were the highlight, some even on small dries. Lots of garden variety 12-14 inchers.

Here's the kicker. We saw not one single human being the whole way down. Nobody. The weather was perfect. No wind. No precip. Just the sounds of the river all the way down the canyon. Some eagles, some deer, some beaver, a couple otters, and the trout of course. I've been floating the Green on and off since the mid-80's, and I've had days only seeing a few others, but never completely to myself from start to finish of an A float.

Not sure when it will happen again on a nice day, but the crowds are gone until early spring! This post won't cause a stampede or anything close to that, so now's your chance to carefully pick a day or two in between storms and enjoy the corridor.
[signature]
lies! unless you scared everyone off lol
[signature]
[quote kochanut]unless you scared everyone off lol[/quote]

I wish it was that easy! Sure was strange.
[signature]
What if some kind of catastrophic event had happened, the world was ending, and everybody but you knew about it... I would have liked to think that is the only way you could have that stretch to yourself.

Not a bad way to go out though.
[signature]
Hey Jim,

Funny you mention this today. We were just talking about planning a trip to the Green in November. Not sure if we will do guides or just wade, depends on how many go, but we hope to be there around Nov 18. Hopefully the weather will be ok. Can't wait for one more trip this year. Just need to decide where to stay for one night.
[signature]
Stay at Collett's (Flaming Gorge Resort). You don't need to be on the river early either. I think Trout Creek has some cabins too.
[signature]
Man that would suck! No one to show off to......!!!!![cool]

Sounds like a slice of heaven.
[signature]
Sounds like my kind of day fishing. Now if you could only do something about the size of the trout in there I might be up to a trip out[Wink]. I mostly fish rivers and this year has been remarkable in that I haven't actually shared any stretch of river with anybody that wasn't along with me. That includes fishing rivers in 4 different states so far.
[signature]
I fish a lot of "zoo" rivers during the season just because I like to float, prefer easier access, and many are just too productive to avoid despite the crowds. (Missouri, Beaverhead, Henry's Fork, Wind, etc) So, days floating 7 miles with nobody else don't happen to me too often, with a couple of exceptions. (that section is not one of them!)

You gotta go to the other uncrowded section for the big fish![Wink] Numbers there are much thinner, and its mostly fishing "wets," especially this time of year.

Winter's here anyway. Yesterday was the last nice day until March, at least. I'm headed for Campeche Saturday if my flight gets out in the storm! It was 83 there today.[laugh]
[signature]
Enjoy Mexico. I'm jealous. Wish I had the time to go along.
[signature]