Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3wt
Just picked up one of Cabelas 3wt-71/2 ft combos. Will be used for streams and small local ponds on ocassion. It came with line, just not sure of the quality of that line. My question is will it be safe to overline it with 4wt line to get a little distance on the ponds? Thanks for your help.[Smile]
pa
[signature]
Funny you asked that... I was wondering the same thing. Im also looking into a smaller rod and was reading about putting heavier line to cast better at shorter distances. From what i read that should be fine. BUT.... only read about it never tried it. Im interested to hear how it works out.
[signature]
I think it depends on the action of the rod. If it is a mid flex, by adding heavier line, you will slow the rod down even more, but that doesn't mean you will gain distance. An example is, trying to get distance wit a bamboo rod[crazy]
I recommend on a smaller rod to go with a thinner diameter line. Like Orvis SuperFine. I am sure there are more out there too.
Maybe try an SA GPX which is a half size larger.
[signature]
I'm assuming it came with a Prestige WF floating line. For that rod ( I have it) the line should be more than adequate. If you wanted to spend a bit more money to improve your setup overall it would have been better spent on a better rod.
[signature]
Try casting with it as it is. Once you get used to it, you might be surprised at how far you can reach.

You will love the 3wt for streams!
[signature]