Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help ... Impeller Freezing
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000][size 4]OK guys, last December I took my boat to Bear Lake to fish the whitefish run. I arrived at the ramp at about 6:30 and backed the boat down the ramp and into the water. When I started the motor (50 hp. Evinrude out-board) no water came out of the pee stream. Apparently, the cold weather had frozen the water around the impeller on the way through the canyon. I let the motor sit in the water hoping that it would thaw out after a while. Several tries and an hour later, it was still froze up. So, I pulled the boat up out of the water and waited for the sun to come up. I positioned the boat so that the sun warmed up the motor and gave it another try … it worked! If the sun had not come out, I would have had to leave for the long drive home.

In the spring, I had the dealer check the impeller and sure enough, it was pretty well shot.

So, I have a couple of questions. What do you experienced boaters recommend I do to keep this from happening again in the future? I there a way to get RV anti-freeze into that system before leaving? Is there a way to blow out the water before leaving so that there is nothing to freeze? Is there a way to heat up that area of the motor once I arrive at the ramp?

I would appreciate any advice you might have. The whitefish run is just around the corner and I really don’t want miss out on the fishing nor do I want to replace another impeller.

Thanks,
--- Coot ---
[/size][/#000000][/font]
[signature]
I guess I better ask this question first, what [#326aaf]position[/#326aaf] do you store you motor when you bring it home from a fishing trip? If you leave it up, that could be your problem, even though you have your boat stored inside the water that is trapped in the [#326aaf]impellar[/#326aaf] area will freeze there on you drive up and cause problems. Always store you motor with the foot down so all the water drains before your next trip. This is not as important during warm water months but getting in the habit of doing it is for those cold winter trips where any water left in the foot area will freeze. I just raise the foot before I leave. If you are already doing this, I guess this won't help[:/].
[signature]
I'm not 100% sure but I do think I did in fact leave the foot in the down position for quite a while. I even turned the motor over a bump or two just push out sitting water.

I am thinking of coming up with a way to use a push pump, short 1 foot hose and fittings, and my ear muffs to pump a diluted solution of anti-freeze into the impeller area. I wonder if anyone has ever tried that.
[signature]
Let us know how this little experiment turns out Ralph. This is something that we all could be faced with making this trip this time of year. It's scary to think of some of the temps that we drive through coming up through the canyon, besides the wind chill
[signature]
I would say it is worth a shot, can't be any worse than doing nothing. Where would you buy a push pump?
[signature]
Ralph,
When I pull my boat out of the water, I turn the motor over and let it run for about 2-3 seconds. I don't just "bump it". This pumps out all the water yet is not long enough to ruin the impellor since they are water lubricated. Also, store the motor in the "down" position. As you know I live up here in the cold and have never had a problem with the impellor freezing up. Yes, the "pee" stream freezes, but thats not unusual. I simply check the rear of the motor see if there is any water "sputtering" from the main exhaust. If that is the case, then the impellor is not frozen. I tried to convince you of that last year, but you are extemely conservative and were worried about "ruining" your motor. These new motors will limit the RPM, shut off completely, or an overheat light/buzzer will go off before the engine is ruined. I will let my motor run for about 2-3 minutes if the "pee" stream is frozen and then the heat of the engine will thaw the "pee" stream out. I not only do this on my outboards (150hp and 8hp) but also on all the outboards for my agency and I have NEVER ruined an impellor or blown an engine from overheating.
[signature]
Scott,

What you are telling me is almost exactly word-for-word what a dealer (Don's Marine - Smithfield UT) told me today. They said that the impleller wasn't freezing but possibly the plumbing into and out of it. He also said "a good 2-3 seconds" at the ramp with the foot all the way down should clear it. He also said to raise it all the way up, bump it once, and lowere it again and give it another 2-3 seconds.

He also said that when the boat is in the water, the impeller is below water level and quickly thaws if there were any frozen water in the area of the impeller. Like you, he said to go ahead and run it because the heat from the engine and heat from the exaust would quickly thaw out that plumbing. He said to just keep an eye on the temp guage or watch for an alarm.

So yea, pretty much just what you are saying.

So I think I will just do as you and the dealer stated and I should have nothing to wory about.

See ya the first week of December. [Smile]
[signature]