Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mojo's, Dropshots, Parasites: Powell Bassin'!
Ok, so the title is a bit misleading. We didn't use any Mojo lures. We didn't dropshot anything. No Parasites.

But we had a great trip to Powell.

The weather Saturday morning was a little cool, with some scattered clouds and a little wind. We thought we might have the whole lake to ourselves. Unfortunately, we had to share with 3-4 other boats. Oh well, there was room for all of us.

[Image: IMAG0061.jpg]

We started out trolling for stripers. We had some reports to give us an idea of where to start.
[Image: IMAG0068.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0069.jpg]

The action was slow. We weren't getting any hits. Dad was throwing a popper while we trolled, trying to see if we could pick up any action on top. No luck with either.

[Image: IMAG0067.jpg]

After a while of nothing, we decided we needed to get our "hands wet" and break the ice. So, we went after some crappie. We pulled into our little crappie canyon, and gave ourselves some confidence that we could catch some fish.

[Image: IMAG0080.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0082.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0083_1.jpg]
[signature]
We even got one nice large mouth that was around 20” (we didn’t measure, and we even released it).
[Image: IMAG0085_1.jpg]

After a while, we decided it was time to head back out and find some stripers. We jetted up the lake to “Battleship Rock”.
[Image: IMAG0097.jpg]

No luck there.
We headed back towards Hite, and started trolling an area we had some reports of fish the week before. Finally, we got our first striper!
[Image: IMAG0099.jpg]
Now we had some confidence, but it was time for some lunch.
[Image: IMAG0078.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0126.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0110.jpg]

For the evening bite, we headed towards the mouth of the Dirty Devil, and that’s where we really got into some good action. It certainly wasn’t as good as it could have been. But, considering we had a full moon, a low pressure system moving through, and our timing was a couple weeks late, we felt it was a good trip. On day two, we doubled our day 1 catch. Good times, good company, good scenery, and good fish. What more do you need?
[Image: IMAG0101.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0115.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0131.jpg]
[signature]
yep sounds like a good trip. Too bad you had the weather front but sounds like you still managed a decent trip. Almost never a bad trip to Powell. So many fish, so little time.
[signature]
Nice report and great pics! I love seeing Powell reports since I've never made it out there. Gives me motivation.

Glad you got out with the fam and tackled some nice fish.
[signature]
Nice report! I was excited for the change in regs for walleye next year, although I don't know why as I've never been able to fish Powell. Hopefully some day I'll get down there and have access to a boat. Now if you could only get your workaholic brother in Vegas to fish more than just new years weekend every year...
[signature]
Nice job Brett. Good lookin' crappie.
[signature]
Hey guys I was at the cleaning station with you that weekend. Would you like your pink case with your fillet gear in it? My name is Julius, email me at [url "mailto:julius@emerytelcom.net"]julius@emerytelcom.net[/url]
[signature]
You're a good man, Julius. May the fish gods reward your integrity for many trips to come!
Please stick around BFT and post your reports, opinions, and pictures!
Josh
[signature]