Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fishing the 3wt
Well, finally got out to try the 3wt today. Met Flygoddess at Willow pond bout 10 or so. She came bearing gifts. Joni gave me a 3wt line and a 4wt line. Such a sweetheart.
I tied on a hares ear and gave it a few casts. It was a little windy, so I had to adjust my casting a bit. Couldn't get very far out for a while, then I finally figured it out. Started reaching the fish. Couple light hits on the hares ear was all. So I retied it using a double surgerons loop and that did thee trick. Managed 5 and boy what a hoot.
They weren't very big but they sure put a bend in that 3wt. If you never fished lighter tackle you should give it a try. Joni was doing well also. I will let her give the info if she so desires. The weather was great and the company even better. Thanks Joni. Yor are a true Gem[Wink]
[signature]
Thanks Pa, always love drowning flies with you. The light tackle does make for fun doesn't it. I was using my 3/4 Hardy with 2lb tippet. Deep nymphing of course, any chance I get...LOL There was one double and I had the flies about a foot apart so that was interesting.

If it ain't froze, lets do it again, k?
[signature]
Glad you like your 3 wt. Isn't it a blast! I love fishing with mine. I frequently use it instead of some more expensive rods just because it is so much fun.

Did you try a 4 wt line on it yet? I am curious about your experience when you do. When I did, I had trouble keeping the line up on my back cast. Maybe if I had practiced with it longer it would have worked better, as I got more used to it. Some of it may be the shortness of the rod and extra weight of the 4 line, but I am sure most of it was me and my casting. I still like the 3 wt line on it better, and it can get the line out to where I need it.

All in all it sounds like you had a fun day.
[signature]
I'm thinking Thursday again. It supposed to be mid 50's again. [Smile]
[signature]
I have the new 3wt and the 4wt loaded up already, and will be trying them out Thursday. Will give a report[Wink]
[signature]
Cool. I think I will bring my 2 wt...LOL Man those fish are FAT!!!!
[signature]
Did you see any brood stockers come out of the willow pond yet?
[signature]
none today. should be soon I would think
[signature]