Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uintahs 9/28/03
I'm heading up to the Uintahs with the family on Sunday, don't know where I'll stop but it'll be fun. taking my spinning gear & fly rod for when the fish quit hitting the worms & panther martins.

This will be the second time I've had my daughter out with her fly gear, and the first time I'll have the digital camera to document her technique. Looking for a good time...Will post pics Sunday or Monday
[signature]
What region of the Uintahs???? Mirror lake Hwy ???? I am planning on going up there on Sunday to scout some elk hunting and do some fishing, maybe I will see ya!!!
[signature]
Yeah thats the plan, along the Mirror lake highway probably all the way over the top to the sulfur CG then on beyond that towards the bear river.

But that could change, now my daughter wants to catfishing....whatever...I'll have to see what's up in the morning.
[signature]
We fished the Mirror Lake highway (Upper Provo) around the Soapstone area. Fished both above and below the Soapstone turnoff. In the morning we fished with fly rods and only UncleRay caught anything, one small Brookie I had numerous bites but no hook-ups, my daughter couldn't get her technique working and decided flyfishing was no fun this day.

After lunch my daughter and I changed to our spinning rigs and thats when the action heated up. Dakota (my daughter) ended the day catching 16 and keeping her limit. I had the hot hand and caught 40+ including 2 really nice rainbows both about 14". UncleRay ended the day with 3 fish all on his 1 weight fly rod but the last one which was his biggest about 12" was on a fly tipped with a worm.

We fished from about 8:30 am to about noon with fly rigs and from noon until just about 5:00 pm on spinning rigs.

All we used was a worm. No weights no bubbles. Followed stream bed fishing the deeper channels just tossing the worm above the holes and under logs and bank cuts. In some holes the catch rate was one every five minutes other times we'd walk 100 ft to the next bite all in all we covered as the crow flies about 400 yards, but along the river was easily 2-3 times that distance.

I brought my digital camera, but the batterries died right after we took a couple pics of the fall colors. No extra batteries werre available. I'll post pics of the fish on the counter just before I can the fish.
[signature]
Nice report and pics. Thank you for sharing. BTW how old is your daughter?. Mine is 15 and used to fish with me until she discovered boys, now she's a no show. K2 loves to fish, but he's only 12. I suspect when he discovers the opposite sex at about 14, I'll be out yet another fishing partner. Ever since I got divorced, I go fishing all the time. Funny how life comes full circle. LMAO.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
My daughter is 9, and she usually catches the first and largest fish on every trip out. She learned how to rig her hook with a worm this weekend. And she did a very good job.
I would have taken fishing more times this year but she is now playing soccer and loving it so fishing on fridays & saturdays is out unless I go without her, for which I usually end up with a load of buckshot from her about that. For now boys are out of the picture, its soccer, tying flies and fishing are her favorites right now.
[signature]