Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Carp...
Spent two hours fishing my favorite little Carp spot yesterday from 1:30 to about 3:30. I caught three, the biggest coming in at exactly 10lbs. One I didn't get a chance to weigh, and another that came in at 6.5lbs. They were keying in on an egg sucking leach, and a large sparkle glow-bug in pink. The fish were very aggressive to the egg patterns, and a slow sink was the ticket. I've never ginked up an egg pattern before, but that was enough to help the egg sink at a slow rate. The two I saw take the fly hit it as it was sinking.

Anyhow, if you haven't gone after Carp on the fly yet, I highly recommend it! Each fish put up a 15 to 20 minute fight.

Here is a shot of the 10lber.
[Image: carp-1.jpg]
Nice fish, I purchased a 7 wt rod this summer but I have not hooked up with a carp yet. Now I might have to try one last time before the hard deck is here. Keep posting these pics, your an inspiration.
[signature]
Sounds like a blast. I should really give it a try.
[signature]
Those sparkle glo bugs are killer for carp. I like them because they work well on cruising carp, not just ones that are actively grubbing about.
[signature]
So two nights ago I was bored as hell, couldn't sleep, and had lowered myself to reading the Jordan River archives of this site. I was so excited by what I was reading that, at 1am, I got dressed and jumped in the car. I was on the river within 10 minutes at Winchester by Murray Parkway golfcourse. I tied on my patented egg sucking leach and proceeded to let it bounce along the bottom. Within 5 minutes:

[Image: sucker.jpg]

I do believe that is my first Utah Sucker, and surely my first on a fly rod. I was booming excited, and ended up staying until 4:30am... without catching another fish.

Didn't matter, it was damn fun. Thanks to all of you who posted in the Jordan River threads of '08!
That's awesome. You're definitely more hardcore than I am. I caught my first sucker this year too. They fight pretty well and hit surprisingly hard.
[signature]
Ahh, the jordan is a GREAT fishery! It is sooooo overlooked by anglers in SLC. I am glad to see another person agrees with how fun and sometimes fast that place can be. I still have yet to catch the suckers but one day I will! Were the flows still high and fast? Anyway see you out along the Jordan sometime. Try some white bass minnows for cats, they sure do love them! Looking forward to your future fly fishing reports along the Jordan River!
[signature]
Try some white bass minnows for cats,

WHAT? you do realize this is the Fly Fishing forum....[laugh]

I live very close to the Jordan River and fish it a lot. Caught some interesting and fun fish out of there, but CARP is the target.
[signature]
im kind of at a loss on that one also but could easily translate it:

try a white and silver clouser for cats!
[signature]
Care to share your secrets to JR Carp? That's what I was going for, but couldn't coax a bite. I tried the usual fare, back stabbers, corn fly, wooly buggers, and eggs -- nadda. I can dig it if you keep them to yourself, but as an aspiring Carp on the Fly guy, I can promise you that I will keep your secrets safe.
Oh...LOL When we hitting you private little river.....
[signature]
Floating line with a LONG leader, like 9 feet or better.
Black Woolly Buggers and right now with the chenille egg on the front. During the warmer months, Yellow Hex Nymph and Corn Ball which is basically a Yellow sparkle Glow Bug with white hackle on the front.
I really like the Midnight Fire in about a #10 right now. Can't really sight fish right now so it is a cast straight out, let it drift down then slow steady strip back,

I am trying some different stuff this weekend, let you know how that goes.
[signature]
were going saturday.... meet at wanship exit off 80 at 8am saturday mkorning
[signature]
Saaaweeet!
[signature]
see you there
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]Try some white bass minnows for cats,

WHAT? you do realize this is the Fly Fishing forum....[laugh]
quote]

LMAO - so What! - you gonna tell us you don't have flies tied in a Rainbow Powerbait style?
Some of them strike indicators look a lot like marshmallows!
Can you do a "bread" pattern form carp?

But seriously - any of you fly-flingers ever hookup a catfish on a fly?

Carp may get a bad rap, but they are surely some tuff fish - seems like they just don't EVER want to get tired out and quit! And I'll stand by it - they are NOT dumb fish - very sensitive and aloof. Ok, ugly - but aloof all the same!

Have fun out there!
[Image: Catfish3500-1.jpg]

Haresear #12 with a Type II line.
[signature]
I've done very well on bread patterns for carp. They're especially effective in areas where people feed the ducks.
[signature]
Don't forget the popcorn pattern for some surface action...
Be sure and streak the foam with a little orange sharpie to represent the butter.. :-))
[signature]
That's pretty funny [laugh] Carp fishing is definitely a different game than fishing for other species.
[signature]