Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outboard size?
This year I got a boat and started fishing a little more often and when I found my little electric wouldn't push my boat fast enough without draining my batteries fairly quick I picked up a trolling plate for my 115 Merc which works great except I burn 12 gallons of fuel per day. I have been wondering about a trolling motor to save on fuel costs. I have a 16 foot trihull what size motor would troll up to 3 mph into the breeze and be most efficient on fuel? Also any guess on how much fuel I'd burn in 6 hours with that motor? Thanks J
[signature]
I'd guess anything from a 5hp to a 10 would be perfect for ya, doesn't take much to get you going 3mph
[signature]
I would get a 6 horse, it would have plenty of power and wouldn't be to heavy.[Wink]
I have a 16 ft. boat and a 6 horse four stroke Yamaha and I'd say I probably use approx. 2 gallons of fuel in 8 hours of trolling at willard. don't think you need anything bigger.[fishin]
[signature]
That's sort of the range I've been looking at since my mini electric will almost do the trick. I guess I'm wondering if the 4 hp would do it and which motors are the most efficient. I rember as a kid my Dads friends motors used to run forever on a tank of fuel but I'd hate to buy motor and find out it isn't much better than what I have now. But at 50 bucks a day for fuel I can pay off an outboard pretty quick if the new one only uses $10 a day. Hey thanks for the reply. J
[signature]
I have an 18.5 ft glass boat, 5 hp pushes me faster than 4. I don't know how fast it will push as I've never ran it wide open. I would suggest two things. Get a 4 stroke, its way worth it! Secondly, if you decide on a 10 and have an electric start ensure you buy a model you can pull start in an emergency. If you ever had an electrical problem you can always get back with a pull of the kicker motor.
[signature]
We had a 14' Alumicraft with a 25 four stroke. It was perfect. Got us off the water when we needed it.
Now we again have a 14' boat. Right now we have a 5 hp four stroke. With two in it, we got about 7 mp. but a Minn Kota 45lb thrust moves it great also. We don't use it constantly, we stope and cast for awhile, then move, but last trip with wind, I ran the Minn Kota at 25 and it moved us well and had still battery after about 4 hours.

Ideally, a 15 to 20 four stroke.
[signature]
That is great info and really helps me. Thank you J
[signature]
I think if I didn't have the big motor I'd do like you suggest but I just need the small one to troll with now. My electric is 27 lbs of thrust I got it for my toon but it is almost big enough to troll it requires the high speeds though and that eats my battery in a couple hours. Thank you for the tips. J
[signature]
Do the two strokes do as well on fuel as four strokes? Seems like everyone is four stroke fans these days. I know I don't like mixing gas but I don't have a big budget either. Thank you for your help. J
[signature]
First off - my 2c -> 5-10hp. 15 would be tops for a troller, with your big main motor. One suggestion - if you're looking at the "used" market (check KSL) you might want to stick with a more 'standard' brand, especially if you're going back a few years.
Top three - Johnson, Evinrude, Mercury. I'd probably steer clear of the old Sears or JC Penny[crazy] brands - due primarily to parts availability.
I have heard the Johnson/Evinrude have pretty interchangable for parts.

I think part of the deal on 4 strokes: (1) no mixing (2) less fumes, less pollution (oil isn't burning into the lake) (3) better longevity {?} - I know I've run into the infamous "bad gas" syndrome a time or two.
If you have a 2 stroke - get high-grade gas, or find a place with alcohol free. Plus stabilizer/sea foam are your friends! Only mix a bit at a time - as needed.

I have an older Johnson that "lost compression". Mechanic told me it's not worth fixing (I've learned that means HE doesn't want to bother). Others have informed me there's a "kit" or "sleeve" that can refit and restore such an engine. Haven't tapped into actually getting it done. I'm not a mechanic!
But - if you'd care to take a gander at it. I believe it's a 10hp 60's Johnson. I was gonna hang onto it for parts for my Evinrude - but if you wanna have a go at it - send me a PM.
If any mechanically inclined are out there - drop ME a line.

The ONE thing I learned about getting an older motor, used - especially if it's been stored - get the impeller replaced. And make sure you run it in a bucket, or with the wet-muffs on if you're on dry land.
Some have suggested to always "run it dry" at the end of a day - burn out ALL the gas, and it should start up fresh/prompt next time out. (I don't always do that)

Now I need to learn more about winterizing an outboard!

So - you still getting out to float this year? I'm thinking I might have to hit Cutler once more before I pack it up. Have to see how much snow Susie slaps us with tonight!
I run all day on a few gallons in my 2 stroke. Save your money and buy a 4 stroke. I guarantee you will wish you did if you buy a 2 smoker.
[signature]
I sold my 2 stroke kicker a couple years ago and bought a 9.9 merc 4 stroke. It is amazing how little fuel the thing uses, is quiet, and has a fantastic trolling range. The main reason I went with the 9.9 is for a backup on lake Powell. If the big motor breaks down when you are 30 miles away from camp, the 9.9 will get you back, albeit a lot slower. At full tilt it will push my Crestliner 1650 at 7-9 mph depending on conditions.. Good luck with your choice.
[signature]
Hey Yote I appreciate the tips and offer. I'm the worst for projects I think I can fix anything but end up with no time to get them done and I'm not as handy as I like to think I am. I have an old trolling motor that I started on a year ago and I got it running if I inject the fuel into the carb but the carb needs parts and it's an off brand from the 50s or 60s and parts are a problem so I guess what I'm getting around to is I guess I better just get a good runner this time so I can get out fish'en more often. But thanks for your offer. Still got a couple lingering farm projects so probably won't make it out this weekend and I hear there is ice on Henry's so I may head up there over the long weekend next week. I'm still more of a trout guy than warm water so Im probably done for the year on the Bear and Cutler. Thanks again. J
[signature]
Thank you for the info and thoughts. Seems like your recommendation is pretty consistent so I need to learn to listen. Thank you. J
[signature]
Four stroke will be a little bigger, probably heavier, but they don't smell when running and they are QUIET. I know when we were on several lakes passing other boaters, they asked if out motor was even running.
More and more Lakes are outlawing two stroke, something to think about.

They are expensive though. Maybe look at Nissan. Exactly the same as Merc but a couple hundred less.

Or you could look at Sportsman's Warehouse. I bought the 45 lb thrust Minn for about $260. and t moves our 14'er just fine. I can't imagine that running that 27 full boar all day can be good for the motor. I burned mine out on just my pontoon.

I do see the beauty in an Electric though and specially combined with your gas. The electric would be more stealthy, plus it can troll at a slower speed than a gas. PLUS easy to start. Lets face it, My gas tank and four stroke 5 hp. weighs about the same as a bigger Minn (40 and 45 in my case) and the big #27 battery.
Maybe you should be looking at a bigger electric. Another bonus, is no winterizing.
[signature]
Great info I think you guys & gal are changing my mind. Thanks J
[signature]
I do like the quiet electric and slow troll speed but I haven't put a dedicated battery in the boat for it yet and I'm always afraid of running the battery dead and not being able to start the big motor to get home. I think a smaller 4 stroker might be the way to go for me. Especially if they are quiet. Years of snowmobiling and farming and shooting is starting to catch up to my ears and I have a hard time understanding my daughter when she tries to talk to me in the boat while the motor is running. Thanks for the insight. J
[signature]
I've got a 16' aluminimum open bow, 75 hp main motor. My 4hp Merc, 2-stroke does a great job. I can troll for over 6 hours on a tank, and it's not the external tank, it probably only holds 3/4 gallon. It is not very noisy, and very rarely do I notice the smoke, but it is still a 2-stroke.
[signature]
I have a Honda 5 hp 4 stroke on my 19.5 foot aluminum. Wide open, it pushes the boat with four people at 4.5 mph measured with GPS. Will use less than a gallon of gas over 8 hours trolling. For reference, my 24 volt Minkota pulls the boat at 1.5 mph at half thrust. I will likely be using that more for trolling trout and kokanee as it is so quite and peaceful, but will drain too fast for doing the wiper thing at nearer 3 mph.
[signature]
Sorry, didn't mean to harp on it. I have a 2 stroke and as soon as I can afford it I will upgrade. Fishing is peaceful, I love the quiet and the smell of the great outdoors, all of which is possible unless you have a 2 stroke kicker rattling and blowing smoke.
[signature]