Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish decoy ???
I know that they sometimes use a decoy for spear fishing through the ice, I was wondering if anybody has used them as a attractor for regular ice fishing? Or if anyone has any other forms of attracting fish to the area that they are fishing (other than chumming)[Tongue]
[signature]
Big flasher or a "scooter".
They imitate a fish striking at a smaller fish and send out huge vibrations.
[signature]
I've seen a video somewhere of someone ice fishing with a plastic perch, like 5" long, with a hook set in it's mouth, kinda like the one on the nose of a Puppet Minnow.

The idea was to bait the hook with a maggot or a bloodworm, drop the decoy/lure to the bottom, stir up some mud and then lift it slightly off the bottom. The other perch see a small perch with a worm in it's mouth and try to steal it.

It seemed to work. I've seen other underwater vids of fish just watching a jig, but once one gets brave enough to grab it, a tiny feeding frenzy ensues...they all dart in and try to get theirs.

Just looked and couldn't find the first one on Youtube...
[signature]
I've actually seen a video of a device you place in the water that is a large rod that has fake fish at diferent depths that randomly and slowly move in a cirle under you. I know that doesn't help your question at all but I've seen for certian a type of fish decoy so I'm sure it's not crazy!
[signature]
see 20belowproducts.com.
They have an ice fishing decoy system. It seems a little pricy though at $99 . I would rather put 20 or 30 sweedish pimples or kastmasters(without hooks of course) on a line and jig them up and down to attract fish
,What the heck I may actually try it this year and see what happens.
I would be interested in anyone elses advice on attracting fish to the ice hole.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]If you have a two pole permit, set one rod up for "dead-sticking"...or within easy reach for an occasional jiggle. With the other rod you can send down a rattletrap or some other noisy lipless crankbait with built in rattles. Try different jigging techniques on the noisy lure. Sometimes just a shivver will send out the right signal. At other times you might need to lift and drop it a bit more aggressively. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That is a technique used by walleye anglers in the upper midwest. Active fish will smack the big rattling lure. Less active fish will be attracted by the noise but will settle for the baited jig hanging nearby.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
TD I was hoping to hear some input from you on this subject. One other question about using a decoy for ice fishing. How do you keep from frostbiting your lips when yer getting the call down in the hole???[sly][sly]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]That is so "old school". No more mouth calls. It's all electronics these days. I even upgraded my dinosaur bone rod to a graphite.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But, getting older now and having to pace myself. Had to give up hunting elephants. Those decoys were killin' me.[/#0000ff]
[signature]