Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hyrum was great (report)
[cool]Got out to Hyrum Dam this morning at 8:00 am with three of my kids. Within 5 minutes we had a good trout and by 11:30 am we had 7 trout all over 12", three small bass and a dink perch. All we ended up fishing with was worms and pink sparkle Powerbait. I used a floating jighead with the worm and my rig outfished the other worms on the bottom. Worms caught 7 fish and Powerbait got 4 fish. Very few fishermen, beautiful day, lots of fish for the kids, it was perfect! When I get to work on Monday I'll post some of the photo's I got. Later.
[signature]
Nice report Fishnate, its cool to see a report that includes the youngsters, & to make it better to hear of a successful morning on H. dam. Also thanks for sharing info about your bait. [Smile] Was Hyrum very busy, for a Sat.? I had to work today, so my lines was dry.
[signature]
Thanks for the report FN, did you try any trolling or casting? WH2
[signature]
[#ff0000]I got on the water about 2 and cruised around and waved at a bunch of folks around the dam, must have thought I was crazy or real friendly, were any of them you? Pulled the kids around on the tube and tried to get them up on skiis for a coupla hours then trolled with needlefish and rapalas and caught Bass! We even had a bass double at one point, seemed weird. They were anywhere from 1 1/2" to 14". Saw tons of big schools of small fish on the graph, a few larger fish suspended, but most bigger ones were right on the bottom. We did pick up one 12" rainbow. Surface temp was 64 degrees. We stopped to let the kids practice casting for a bit and was going to try some nightcrawler action, when my nephew snagged my brother in the side going for the all time long distance world record cast. Ouch. Spent the next while until dark trying to get the hook out of his love handle. Not every day you get to operate on your brother with your hook pliers and pocket knife! There was a couple jigging with worms from the docks that had a five gallon bucket filled with small bluegill and a couple trout. It was sure a nice September evening. [/#ff0000]
[signature]
Here's the pics from the weekend. What a great day to be fishin. the weather was great, there were perhaps 3-5 boats on the water, and we only saw about four other fishermen on the opposite end of the dam. We saw a gazillion tiny perch dimpling the surface for midge larvae and a few small bass cruising. We left around noon, my kids were tired of catching fish. WHAT? But the whole way home they were wondering when we could do that again.
[signature]
looks like your family had a great day. well any day with the family is good,good fishing just makes it better.
[signature]
Awesome family! Nice pics.

m
[signature]
Great pics fishnate!! I can't wait until I have kids to take out on a trip like that.
[signature]
Taking kids fishin is great fun...some of the time. Let me qualify that. I've taken fishing serious for 20+ years. When I started taking my wife and kids fishing I never realized how much stress I'd go through for them to catch fish. When I go fishing I plan out when and where to go and what latest greatest gear I need to maximize my success so I can have great memories of catching fish. I do what I have to to catch fish and teaching the patience and methods to someone else who doesn't care as much as I do (yet) can be tough when the fish don't want to bite. I hate it when my kids hear my stories of great fishing when I'm alone or with friends and then I can't pull it together for my kids when I take them. I have a hard time scaling back to simpler methods for them, a shame since it evidently is still quite successful.

This Hyrum trip everything worked perfect. Lots of trout cruising close to shore with a few other fish to keep things hopping inbetween and easy fishing methods for kids to use.

Does anyone else relate to this delema?
[signature]
I know that I WAS that dilemma for my dad when I was growing up. I remember when I was really young, some very cold, windy mornings baitfishing from shore with the family at Scofield, and if the fishing were slow that day, my brother and I would find it funner to build a rock wall on the riprap to block the wind than it was to sit and watch a pole. (Maybe all the rock banging contributed to not catching anything???.........nah, it couldn't have been that! lol). Anyway, moral of the story, it paid off and now my dad has 2 out of 3 sons that LOVE fishing, (and 1 out of 2 daughters), as well as the other son that occasionally fishes. Pretty good percentages I'd say. Well worth it .
[signature]
[#ff0000]A wise one once said you can either go fishing or take a kid fishing, is that ever the truth! We had six kids in the boat that day, What an adventure. Think of it as an investment, when you get old and moldy they can take you fishing! [/#ff0000]
[signature]
Three of my kids are always hounding me to take them fishin and it can be an adventure. It gets really wild when I take my wife and all six of the kids. I'm trying to keep track of six rods (my wife is too busy keeping kids from drowning). I've finally gotten old enough to just enjoy them catching all the fish while I hook and help land them. Now some of my kids are old enough to let me fight a few too.

In response to Cat Man, my brother really got me into fishing. He quit fishing shortly after getting me into it. I inherited his Outdoor Life subscription when I was 8. By the time I was 10 I was begging my dad to take me out fishing, I'd tag along on his business trips all over the state. When he fished with me I'd rig him up, land his fish and clean the catch. I'm the only one of 7 kids that fish in my family. But I've done my job of "corrupting" several of my nephews, neices and my own kids.
[signature]