Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smallmouth info.
On my last trip, I was robbed of all my favorite smallmouth lures.

As a result, I am in the market for a serious stocking up of smallmouth lures in preparation for my spring smallie fishing.

I know there is an absolute wealth of info here, and am willing to share my info as well as hopefully benefit from your expiriences.

I would have to say the top three most effective smallmouth lures I have ever witnesses used are tubes, strike king bitsy bug skirted jigs, and in line spinners.

However, there are some pros who swear by strike kings woolly tail hawg, plastic worms, and crank baits of a large variety.

I just wonder, whats your favorite? Maybee I can get a new idea that will increase my numbers, or better yet size.

P.S. My smallmouth territory consists mainly of flaming gorge, jordanelle, pineview, and starvation.

Them smallies down at starvation LOVE a chartruse lindy fuzze grub tipped with a half night crawler!

I know theres some guys here on the site who are interested in getting into the smallmouth fishing, so maybee a post on tackle will help a bunch of us out.

Anybody using anything similar to the lippripperz worms advertised here on the site?
[signature]
Bummer to hear that you were robbed - hopefully it was by scaly, fishy critters, not two legged varmints. Sounds like you have the good baits pretty well nailed.

My preferred SM tackle is the small watermellon pepper Zoom tubes with a 1/0 G-Lock hook and enough weight (1/8 or 1/4) to get it down on 8lb super mono. Wiggle warts in red/brown crawdad colors and with a bit of chartruse can be effective. Chartruse or yellow jig heads with a half nightcrawler can be really good. Rattlin Rapalas or Ratl Traps in bronze or red are great. Or try spooks, torpedos, or prop baits when the topwater bite is on.

Good luck!
[signature]
[cool] [#800000][size 2]Ah my young apprentice, you speak of wonderful things. Senkos, Senkos, and more Senkos. 3,4,5 inch baits. Colors-294(watermelongreen), 297(pumpkinbrown), and 157(smoke w/purple/black flake) is all you need. You can texas rig'em(with and without weights), splitshot rig(its a light carolina rig), wacky rig, and dropshot them.[/size][/#800000]

[#800000][size 2] 3/8 and or 1/2 spinnerbaits White and Chart.[/size][/#800000]

[#800000][size 2] Tubes/grubs-3,3 1/2, 5 inchers.[/size][/#800000]

[#800000][size 2] Fuzzy grubs[/size][/#800000]

[#800000][size 2] Lipless crankbaits at Starvation, Pineview, Deer Creek, and Flaminge Gorge(too many trees/bushes for jordanelle).[/size][/#800000]

[#800000][size 2] Pointer 78's-ghost minnow, aurora black, aurora brown.[/size][/#800000]

[#800000][size 2]Ya don't need much more than these or you'll end up like me, with too much crap[blush]. [/size][/#800000]
[signature]
Listen to Tomegun he hit the mark! Senko's Senko's and more Senko's. I'm killing them at Pineview right now with 3" pearl Pro bass Shop (Stik'O) Senko Imitations. Texas rigged weightless with a 5" wire leader attached in case the Muskie's come out too play, which by the way has happend on several occasions already. small Plastic crawdads would probably work well in the spring.
[signature]