Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colors bleed when curing in oven
Just starting to paint lures using Pro-Tec powder paints. I just had a couple of spoons bleed the colors into one another when baking in the oven. I went with the recommended 350* for 20 minutes.

Naturally, I didn't like the way they turned out so I stripped the paint and painted them again. Any suggestions on how to prevent this next time? Lower heat; less time? Both?

Thanks!
[signature]
It would be helpful to know the exact process you are using to do this step by step.

Without that information my first suggestion would be to not cure them immediately after you apply the powder paint. If you have the paint on too thick it will run also. It's not always easy to powder paint two different colors on one bait. Generally it is used only as an undercoat.

If you are willing to try different things, I would try a one color base powdercoat and paint the rest with an airbrush which is really a lot easier than you might think. This will allow you to use many different color combos without worrying about bleeding, thickness and weight.

You could also try using some type of spray gun to apply the powder coat, but it's hard to get it done quickly enough before they cool down.
[signature]
try to paint 'em after baking.
then cover w/lacquer. (make sure that's waterproof)
[Image: bobwink.gif]
[signature]