Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what is the definiton of a setline
I saw several people fishing with 2 or more hooks on their lines .I wonder if that is considered a setline?
[signature]
[cool]Hey, Ocean, if they were casting two hooks or lures at a time, that is known as a tandem rig. It's a good way to prospect with two lures or two different colors, to find out what the fish want. Sometimes they will hit one over the other. Other times they hit both. Often it is a good way to craate extra vibration and the impression of a "mini school" in the water. It is also a good way to add weight, for longer casts, without having to use one big jig. If you use too much weight on one jig, it will dive into the rocks...especially around Lincoln Beach.

A setline is a generic term for any line tied off on a limb, stump, rock or stake, to keep fish from taking off with your tackle. As I recall in the proclamation, you can use a setline, with two hooks maximum, and it must be closely attended.

In many other states, you can use untended "trotlines". These can be anything from a single hook on a single line...usually for big catfish...to long lines with multiple hooks strung out across a stream or fastened at each end to an anchor or long stake stuck into the bottom. They are typically put out before dark and then either checked periodically through the night, or pulled in and put up in the morning. They are not legal in Utah.

A lot of folks use handlines...especially immigrants from other countries where handline fishing is more common. Down in Arizona I see a lot of shore anglers, from our nation to the South, that use "pop top spinning outfits". They wind fifty feet or so of haavy monofilament around an empty aluminum can...after tieing one end to the can. They hold one end of the can and twirl the sinker/hook rig around their heads, like a slingshot, and let fly. The line peels off the outside end of the aluminum can, just like off a spinning reel.

The problem is that they snag a lot and just leave the line running out in the water. The first guy fishing down the bank, from a boat or tube, hangs up on that hawser cable mono and sometimes has to break off expensive lures if it can't be worked loose. I quit fishing along one stretch of formerly productive rocky shoreline on my favorite lake when the bottom became like a giant spider web with these snagged and discarded handlines.
[signature]
hey thanks for the info learned something new! back in miami we have whats called yoyo's. we called them the cuban fishing rods they are fun to fish with its a handline.
[signature]
I took a minute and looked upo the regs on setline fishing at the dwr web site.

[#555555]Setline Fishing
[/#555555]
R657-13-8 [ol] [li]A person may use a setline to take fish only in the Bear River proper downstream from the Idaho state line, including Cutler Reservoir and outlet canals; Little Bear River below Valley View Highway (SR-30); Malad River; and Utah Lake. [li] [ol] [li]Angling with one pole is permitted while setline fishing, except as provided in Subsection (b). [li]A person who obtains a Second Pole Permit may fish with two poles while setline fishing. [/li][/ol]
[li]No more than one setline per angler may be used and it may not contain more than 15 hooks. [li] [ol] [li]A Setline Permit may be obtained for a $15 fee at any Division office. [li]A Setline Permit is required in addition to a valid Utah one day, seven day or season (annual) fishing or combination license. [li]A Setline Permit is an annual permit, but may only be used in conjunction with an unexpired Utah one day, seven day or season (annual) fishing or combination license. [/li][/ol]
[li]When fishing with a setline, the angler shall be within 100 yards of the surface or bank of the water being fished. [li]A setline shall have one end attached to a nonmoving object, not attached to a fishing pole, and shall have attached a legible tag with the name, address and setline permit number of the angler. [li]Anglers under 14 years of age must purchase a valid Utah one day, seven day or season (annual) fishing or combination license and setline permit in order to use a setline. [/li][/ol]

FDG
[signature]