Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smoked Trout
Just wondering if anyone has a good recipe for smoking trout? Thanks
[signature]
rub em down with mortons sugar rub, you can get that at most supermarkets. then smoke it in apple wood . im not a big trout eater but that i can handle and its really good.

"tight lines"
[signature]
I've tried several different recipes, but this one is always my favorite:

[url "http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?445-Smoked-Trout"]http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?445-Smoked-Trout[/url]
[signature]
I smoke salmon using a simple recipe i,m sure it would work for trout also its called "squaw candy "
1 galon of water
2lbs of brown sugar
1 cup pickling salt
1 cup maple syurp
Combine all ingredints in large bowl soak fish for 2 day remove fish after 2 days place on racks and smoke with apple or alder chips.About half way through smoking mix up a 3/4 cup honey with a little hot water brush on the fish and let them finish smoking salmon take about 10-12 hrs to do dependin on out side temp ENJOY!!!!!
[signature]
[quote downed_Phly]I've tried several different recipes, but this one is always my favorite:

[url "http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?445-Smoked-Trout"]http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?445-Smoked-Trout[/url][/quote]

That sounds AWESOME...have to try it?
[signature]
Fillet Fish
mix 2lb bag of brown sugar (dark or gold)
with 3/4 cup of non-iodized morton salt
fillets placed in non-metal pan skin down
cover with brown sugar/mix 1/4 inch layer
put in frig overnight
next morning, wash brown sugar goo off with cold water
place on smoking racks, let sit for an hour to form a pellica crust (looks like a glazed coating).
put in smoker. Use alder wood .
time depends on size of fish, fillet starts to curl at the narrow end of the fillet (tail end) and it is done.

unlike brine solutions, this draws moisture away from the fillets, and the salt cures the fish. It is quick and easy,
my first attempt at smoking trout was with a brine solution and my dogs would not touch. Now i have teeth marks in my smoker, from the dogs trying to get at the fillets.lol
[signature]
Here's one I've gotten a lot of compliments on. I got the basic off the internet, and just added a little to it.
Good Luck.
[signature]
Marinade trout fillets in Italian Seasoned salad dressing overnight. No need to pat them dry, and put on smoker. I use apple wood. Its simple and they taste great.
[signature]
[quote ibhunting]. . . soak fish for 2 day . . . take about 10-12 hrs to do dependin on out side temp ENJOY!!!!![/quote]

zowie - that's along soak and a longer smoke!
I've found the fish get TOO salty if they soak too long - and 10-12 hours is more like Brisket time - I rarely do fish more than a few hours. But that can depend on your smoker's temp/heat source. I usually run mine about 150-200.

[quote Flygoddess]
That sounds AWESOME...have to try it?
[/quote]
I think you just got stuck on the Cognac! [shocked]
I like adding Beer to a brine.
go to salmonuniversity.com, smoke just like salmon. used this rescipe last week, turned out great
[signature]
[#502800]Two pound fillets? .......... Where do you fish?[/#502800]
[signature]
Just to add my 2 cents. I like to score the skin side of the fish to allow for better smoke penetration (especially on larger fish). My preferred wood is hickory. My family gobbled up what they could before I bottled the rest of it a day or two later. Just put a little Italian Dressing in the bottom of each jar and packed with smoked fish. Lasts nearly forever and is delicous whenever you get the craving for smoked fish [Smile].
[signature]
Remember bag and possession limits apply to all fish cooked or not cooked in your possession.
[signature]
Easy but AWESOME. Cut trout in thirds after cleaning(duh). brine in equal parts soy sauce, apple juice, and brown sugar. If I need more to cover them, add more apple juice. Put them in a gallon ziplock in a bowl in the fridge overnight. rotate in the morning. Put out on your racks to come up to room temp and tack up a bit on the outside. Smoke with apple wood at 150-180F for 2 hours, then crank it up to bring the internal temp to safe. VERY GOOD, works everytime!

get them off the racks once they cool a TINY bit, too soon, they fall apart, too late, they are welded on.

GET SOME FROG MATS FOR YOUR SMOKER!!!! Awesome!
[signature]