Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice fishing line question
So I'm starting to respool my reels for the hard water and what is the best line? Ive always used just regular ice line but I've heard that it isn't the best, so with that, Fluorocarbon or braided? Thanks for the help.
What are you fishing for? deep water 60' plus the braided is not bad other than that it freezes. my personal favorite is maxium. It got good knot stenght and can take a beating.
[signature]
Well we're hard deck novices but found Berkley FireLine Fused Micro Ice Crystal meets our needs on the hard deck.
[signature]
I fish mainly "da berry", fish lake and pine view. So depth ranges from 12'-60'.
Not a pro, but i do spend some time on the hard deck. I try to keep it simple and use what has worked well for me in the past, i love the stren magna thin line - for the berry i normally use 6lb and have no issues catching the average slot 18-22 inch cut and have caught em up to 25 inches with no issues, but for pineview when crappie and perch fishing 2lb does the job just fine. just my thoughts hope this helps
[signature]
[quote Dawgden]I fish mainly "da berry", fish lake and pine view. So depth ranges from 12'-60'.[/quote]

Where is "da berry"? [Wink][laugh][laugh][laugh]
[signature]
6-lb P-line Floroclear is my go to line year around but works especially well while ice fishing. The pure fluorocarbon my be a touch better but is three times as expensive.

I used to use primarily 4 lb test but found that the line would break more often after catching a few fish due to imperfections in the line. 8-lb is just too thick of line and generally not needed. I have found that this 6-lb P-line is perfect as it has a thinner than average diameter, is almost undetectable in the water and is abrasion resistant. After two years of using it, it is by far the best line for the price!

For ice fishing, leave on your old line and then add 50-60 yards of new line. Don't need a lot of line on the reel to ice fish.

I am mostly a trout guy so take it for what it is worth. I catch multiple 4-6 lb trout through the ice each year (got a 24.5 inch 5 lb tiger through the ice Friday and landed several at Henrys two weeks ago) so you can trust me when I say this line is awesome. When I fish for panfish, I add some 2 or 4 lb leader.

Here is a link for the line:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q...CGIQ8wIwAA
[signature]
Thanks for the help!
[signature]
with the fishing i do i use a 10 pound test line one of my friends i fish with uses 6 we have found no difference in the weight of the line to the numbers of the fish we catch if any thing i still catch more then he does
[signature]
Another vote for Pline Fluorocarbon. Been my go to line for years now. I experiment with all the "new" lines and keep coming back to Pline. If fishing really deep for perch say 50ft I do switch to braid the Fineline Crystal is my preference.
[signature]