Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MHX 4 piece fly rods

Here's 2 MHX 4 piece fly rods just finished building for a co-worker. these are
really nice rods, can't wait to build myself one.
[signature]
Great art work there. These are Fly Rods? Don't see that on FR, people want as light as they can get, in fact a decal is too much...LOL Doesn;t that change the butt section of the rods flex?

That is truly a talent and you are so great at it. Just never seen it on a fly rod. Love to see more though.
[signature]

yep they are fly rods. they are the MHX 4 piece rods 5 weight 8.6 feet. very nice rods, they are only sold as blanks from Mud Hole rod builders. here's a few more pics of a few I made last year for some friends.
the coating doesn't seem to affect the action at all, it might add a little weight but not much. just makes them pretty looking.
[signature]
Chuck, are you doing that lettering of names with thread? I was going to try and use a calligraphy pen and paint. Is there a source for lettering that can simply be applied to the rod and covered with a coat of finish for lazy (meaning non-talented) builders like me?
[signature]
Beautiful. You got skills ut. Those are so perfect.
Would you mind if I asked some professional fly rod builders their take on the wrapping up the butt section? I can't see how it wouldn't change the flex, but maybe not an issue of tip action rods.
Just my own curiosity.
[signature]

Jim, yea those letters are thread and woven on, fairly easy to do but time consuming.
you can also have some custom decals made with names, numbers or small drawings. I think mudhole offers them. I can explain how to weave them if you want to try it.
later chuck
[signature]

Hey FlyG, yea you can ask them, it would be nice to really know if it effects it that much. I'm sure it would effect the stiffness sense it's 2 layers of thread and flex coat epoxy. but it's 10" of the butt section and shouldn't effect the tip sections and action at all.
[signature]
i love these blanks, i built my second rod on a 9' 6 wt. only got to use it twice though before bonehead me didnt put the rod in a case or anything and on piece flew out of the back of my brothers truck.. eventually i will replace that one piece but they wanted like 70 just for the one piece of the blank.. and at the time that was just too much...
[signature]
Dang you can get a new blank for that price. That is what I paid for the tip section of one of my Winstons, and that came back with guides professionally placed.
I like the old Fenwick Glass, but haven't given a second look at the new stuff and with this kind of warranty, I don't think I ever will.
[signature]
ya i ended up getting a tfo blank to replace the mhx rod... i would definely use a mhx blank again though.. looking into it for a 3 or 4 wt rod next... rod building is so addicting
[signature]
I got a hold of the purchasing manager at mud hole and worked it out with her. She sold me the piece I needed for $27 dollars. Now I'll be able to build that piece and have a pretty nice back up rod. I was not pleased with the first person I came in contact with at mud hole. He was a total jerk and did not want to help me but the purchasing manager made it right and am now ready to continue to use there MHX blanks for my rod builds. only thing is i wish they came in other colors.
[signature]

cool, sounds like you talked to the right person.
[signature]