Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
where to fishin buhl
hello all,
i will be visiting buhl for christmas and was wanting to now where i mite get a good day of fishin near buhl. i drift fish a lot in california where i live. but i hear that fishing in idaho is top shelf. any help on where or what is in season would be great due to i dont now much about the area but dont want to miss out on a new place to fish.. can wait to see your butiful state.. kenneth
[signature]
welcome to the boards I don't know that area but hopefully the guys that fish there will give you a good report. Dress warm
[signature]
Take a look at the pond on the Clear Lake golf course. You need a float tube or a pontoon, but I think it stays open all year. It's straight north of Buhl, in the canyon. Pay the green fee, and you can fish all day.
[url "http://www.golflink.com/golf-courses/course.aspx?course=304645"]http://www.golflink.com/golf-courses/course.aspx?course=304645[/url]
[signature]
Don't judge the state on Buhl! [Wink] you're kinda hitting that area at about the worst time for fishing, course I'm a soft water guy so there might be someone that points you somewhere to ice fish now, Magic was getting quite a bit of ice when I fished it last week but the top end was still open, kind of a drive from buhl though. If you find someone willing to spill the beans on a few spots there are a few areas on the river that can be lights out for chunky rainbows but you may get shot by all the duck hunters [:p]. Good luck either way and enjoy your christmas.
[signature]
This is not a good time of year to judge the fishing in Idaho by. There is not much open water and many areas are closed to fishing.

As has been said you can floattube on Clear Lake for about a $10 fee. I also think that sometimes you can fish the lower Malad River for small trout, and the Niagara Springs area if the ice isn't too bad.

Talk to some local fly shops they may have some ideas for you.
Good Luck!
[signature]
lower rock creek in twin falls would still be open and there are some pretty little browns in there, also the filer ponds might be a good choice. there are also lots of spots where the springs run into the river down behind clear lakes and Niagara springs that can be good during the winter. I believe clear lakes stocker pond is fly fishing only
[signature]
thank you everyone.. what is the name of the river north acouple miles from buhl looks like clear lakes rd. crosses over it. is it open or even fishable..
[signature]
Clear lakes road crosses over the snake river. Its open to fish but I don't know how good the fishing would be. The fishing is usually good at the clear lakes golf course but like someone already said, its fly fishing only. If your willing to drive to twin falls and fish the rock creek you are pretty much guaranteed a catch there. I caught about a dozen browns yesterday, the biggest being 16 inch. My recommendation would be to stop by avid sportsman when you get to buhl. They will give you directions to good spots nearby. Good luck
[signature]
looks like rock creek will be the spot for now. what is the gear restrictions there. is it artficial or bait. are these hatchery or native. what would be the easiest way in. i cant wait to fish somwhere totaly new.. also thanks for helping me.. ill drop a hint on the fish gods for you all..[Wink]
[signature]
Rock Creek below Pole Line road is good. Fish it down stream.

Crystal lake and the river where the water dumps in should be good.

If you can get permission on Deep cr it will be outstanding.

The outlet of clear lakes into the snake river is free and is good sometimes.

Niagra springs can be good at times.

Lower salmon falls below the dam has BIG trout. No restrictions, but they can be tough to find.

Bell Rapids boat dock is almost a sure bet.

Use power bait and a crawler for all the places above.

Ron. BTW, I am from Buhl.
[signature]
thank you very much ron.. now i feel i can go with a good idea on where to fish.. i will be in buhl from the 22 to the 26 of dec. are you currently in buhl now.. if so maybe we could hook up to fish and trade tips and tricks. my go to rod s a 9.5 foot clairus(steelhead salmon) rod loaded with 6 or 8 lb test but will bring a smaller rod too. i guess you all drift fish for trout too.. i still have some roe from salmon season here in cali from the hen i got in the american river. looks like you all are about to have a salmon season too. here in cali we use meps flying c's and blue fox spinners(besides roe and beads)... trout and steelhead we use pather martin spiners roe and the all faithful worm. (unless we are flyfishing) well dinner is calling once again thanks. kenneth
[signature]
Rock creek is filled with both native and planter fish. Most of the fish i have been hooking into have been native. You can usually tell as soon as they hit. Below Pole line road is a great spot like Ron suggested. However we were finding some bigger ones below the bridge on shoshone st. My buddy caught a 19 1/2 inch brown out of there the other week. Power bait, worms, and corn work great. But spinners really do the trick for me.
[signature]
that sound really good to me. so you can only harvest the planters yes? are you wading from shore?god i cant wait to go......sorry so many qestions.... just like to do my home work...[Smile]
[signature]
where do i edit my signature
[signature]
Check the regulations for the specific area and stream, but I believe the limit is 6 trout and in rivers and streams only 2 of the 6 trout may be cutthroats.

Does Rock Creek have a Poison Ivy problem like many of the creeks in that area? If so be careful what you touch!
[signature]
does rock creek flow north or south...
[signature]
[quote WAPOW]thank you very much ron.. now i feel i can go with a good idea on where to fish.. i will be in buhl from the 22 to the 26 of dec. are you currently in buhl now.. if so maybe we could hook up to fish and trade tips and tricks. my go to rod s a 9.5 foot clairus(steelhead salmon) rod loaded with 6 or 8 lb test but will bring a smaller rod too. i guess you all drift fish for trout too.. i still have some roe from salmon season here in cali from the hen i got in the american river. looks like you all are about to have a salmon season too. here in cali we use meps flying c's and blue fox spinners(besides roe and beads)... trout and steelhead we use pather martin spiners roe and the all faithful worm. (unless we are flyfishing) well dinner is calling once again thanks. kenneth[/quote]

We will see what happens. I am busy right now with an elk hunt that goes to the end of the month. I think fishing will be off the agenda for me. Ron
[signature]
Rock creek flows north. Stinging nettle is done now. I haven't seen any other nastys to tell if they are done or not. I am thinking you don't have much to worry about with that stuff.
OH I just thought of another place. Salmon Falls creek south of Castleford. Go to lilly grade and drive to the bottom. I fished dry flys there. Nothing big but fin little fish. Also Balanced rock park is another real good spot and you can hike up stream as far as you want. Ron
[signature]
It flows mostly north or northwest. It is just west of downtown Twin Falls

[inline RockCr.jpg]
[signature]
well im here.. went to rock creek park off of addison for a few casts. left there becouse i parked to close to a frisbe basked and when i looked over at the rental car i seen a incoming frisbie. left and went to citenial park till dark tring to drift that river butt the eyes on my pole kept icing up.lol that was a first for me. tomarrow going to go back to rock creek but off of shosone st. where would i ask for permision at deep creek and access it. if anyone is willing to meet up to fish anywhere around magic valley or take me out to ice fish would cool. i have never ice fished before. my cell is 916-402-3174 i only have access to the cpu in the evenings.. i will be here monday. or even give me a call and i can meet you at the hole... ken
[signature]