Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2011 Fishin' Goal--any thoughts on kokanee?
So daughter and I started out 2011 with a goal--we each want to catch one of each trout/salmon species and hybrids Utah has to offer. We still need to catch lakers, splake, brookies, and kokanee.

We're planning on heading down to Fish Lake toward the end of this month, so we can hopefully take care of the lakers and splake.

Brookies shouldn't be too hard, I've never fished for them before but I understand that some of the higher lakes and streams have plenty, so if we can get there before the roads get too impossible that should work out as well. (Any advice is still more than welcome!)

But the kokanee may be a killer for us. We don't have a boat, so we're hoping to catch some ice fishing. Any thoughts on how to get any kokes before the end of December? Probably can't make it up to the Gorge--will need to keep it within about 2 hours of SLC.

I caught a koke (I think!) totally by accident, shore fishing at the Berry last November. I got it close enough to shore to be able to see that it was very red in color, which is why I think it was a koke...then it broke off. That's the only one I've ever seen, if it really was a koke.

Anyway...any advice is very gratefully welcomed. [Image: happy.gif]
[signature]
[font "Calibri"][/font]There’s always Causey or porcupine reservoir. Not even close to the size you’ll find at the Berry or Gorge, but if it’s on the 2011 bucket list that’s where I’d point the truck. I had a couple awesome days at Causey last ice season. [sly]
[signature]
Causey for sure -- try the boyscout arm
[signature]
[quote WiperMac][font "Calibri"][/font]There’s always Causey or porcupine reservoir. Not even close to the size you’ll find at the Berry or Gorge, but if it’s on the 2011 bucket list that’s where I’d point the truck. I had a couple awesome days at Causey last ice season. [sly][/quote]

Oh sweet, it looks like there's splake there, too! Thank you, Wiper!! And it's only an hour and 20 minutes from here. Do the roads get closed in winter?
[signature]
[quote hogstalker]Causey for sure -- try the boyscout arm[/quote]

Thank you, hogstalker! I don't know what the boy scout arm is but I will look it up. Will try to get there this weekend actually, the weather looks like it'll be good so hopefully the roads are clear.

Thank you again!!
[signature]
[font "Calibri"]No, the roads are plowed all the way up to the dam, so access is good. Last year we did the best right off the dam. The salmon would come in schools and you’d have your limit in 30 seconds, no lie. Fast and furious when the fish are in. The boy scout arm is the north arm. I know a lot of people fish that arm in the summer and do well, but I personal have had little to no luck. [pirate][/font]
[signature]
Causey in deep water. My twin and I went there last year and got 8 within 1 hour. We fished against the cliffs near the dam.
If the fishing sucks you can always hit Pineview on your way home too.[cool]
[signature]
[quote WiperMac][font "Calibri"]No, the roads are plowed all the way up to the dam, so access is good. Last year we did the best right off the dam. The salmon would come in schools and you’d have your limit in 30 seconds, no lie. Fast and furious when the fish are in. The boy scout arm is the north arm. I know a lot of people fish that arm in the summer and do well, but I personal have had little to no luck. [pirate][/font][/quote]

Thank you, Wiper. Will try to get up there this weekend, excited to try it! Daughter's gonna be one happy camper if we can get anything. Sure appreciate your info![Smile]
[signature]
[quote TyeDyeTwins]Causey in deep water. My twin and I went there last year and got 8 within 1 hour. We fished against the cliffs near the dam.
If the fishing sucks you can always hit Pineview on your way home too.[cool][/quote]

lol thanks so much, TDT. Sounds like it'll hopefully work even for koke newbies like daughter and me. Here's hopin'!! Thanks again!
[signature]
We were using that Pumpkin Pepper jig by live line baits in size 1/32oz. with a waxworm if that helps.
[signature]
I fish Causey religiously during the ice season year in and year out. Last year seemed rather unique with the koke fishing, I found them in places I never had in years past (or should I say they found me). I went up on sat and tried two of the same holes as last year without a single mark, hopefully it was just the full moon. Either way good luck to you.
[signature]
[quote TyeDyeTwins]We were using that Pumpkin Pepper jig by live line baits in size 1/32oz. with a waxworm if that helps.[/quote]

I'm sure that will help a lot, thanks! If daughter and I manage to make this goal this year, it will be thanks to you guys [Smile]

I had no idea what a pumpkin pepper jig was so I Googled it, apparently it's a color [blush]...http://www.livelinebaits.com/2swimrig.php I don't have jig heads that shape, just the round ones, but I will get some before we go.

Thanks again!
[signature]
[quote northernfisher]I fish Causey religiously during the ice season year in and year out. Last year seemed rather unique with the koke fishing, I found them in places I never had in years past (or should I say they found me). I went up on sat and tried two of the same holes as last year without a single mark, hopefully it was just the full moon. Either way good luck to you.[/quote]

Hi North,

A lot of people were mentioning the full moon after this past weekend. I don't really know enough about the effects to know one way or the other, but I do know that it's definitely weird how things go hot and cold.

How was the ice when you were there on Saturday?

Thanks for the good wishes!
[signature]
Ice was perfect, clear and solid. It varied between 2-5 inches the fishing just sucked.
[signature]
[quote northernfisher]Ice was perfect, clear and solid. It varied between 2-5 inches the fishing just sucked.[/quote]

That's good to hear. Well - at least the 5" end of the scale! Hope for better fishin' action!!!

Also been wanting to try Kokes on ice. Porcupine's my closest. Any words on the ice up that-a way?

Have heard tales of Causey that make me wanna head up that way, too. Though it's one I don't have a map for, not even a "fish-n-maps" coverage.
Anyone have a Causey Map for anglers??

There are a few spots across the northern border that hold some of these schooling kokes. That's just sounds like a riot - to have a school move in, and hits everywhere - then she's gone! whoosh.....
Guess you still gotta have the right depth.
Is a finder/vex critical to finding Kokes? Or just plop it in a likely spot/depth - and wait for it?!?!

So do any of the summer 'trolling' rigs work on ice? Squiddies and such? I expect a lot of the spoons worked vertical could get attention.

Hey man - if anybody needs a "Koke Buddy" this winter - shoot me a note! Be glad to meet where-ever and when.
Gosh I hope you don't have to have a fishfinder to target kokes, it's not in Santa's budget this year for sure.

I'm still going to try it this weekend though based on the tips on this thread--thanks to EVERYONE!!
[signature]
[font "Calibri"]There was multiple times when I would be fishing in 60+ feet of water and a school would pass by and it would cause my fish finder to give a false reading of bottom. That’s a lot of fish!! The finder I use has ½” target separation so it literary looked like a wall was coming at my poor little jig.[laugh] Is a fish finder required? No, but it’s very nice. As far as summer rigs go, no. I just stick to tubes and spoons. [/font]
[font "Calibri"] [/font]
[font "Calibri"]I’m thinking about skipping out of work on Friday to give it a try. Coyote/Lizard or anyone else, if you want to go, shoot me a PM. I’d love a little company. [/font]
[signature]
[quote LurkinLizard]So daughter and I started out 2011 with a goal--we each want to catch one of each trout/salmon species and hybrids Utah has to offer. We still need to catch lakers, splake, brookies, and kokanee.[/quote]

You know there are Golden trout in just a few lakes in Utah. If you really want to catch every trout and salmon species I'd add it to the list for 2012. It only took me 3-4 years of trying to catch one to finally get one this year.
[signature]
[quote riverdog]
You know there are Golden trout in just a few lakes in Utah. If you really want to catch every trout and salmon species I'd add it to the list for 2012. It only took me 3-4 years of trying to catch one to finally get one this year.[/quote]

I'd heard that was the case, but also that it's very difficult to catch them, and most people think that they're pretty well extinct in Utah.

I will add it to the lifetime bucket list [:p] since I need help to just get brookies and kokes!

I guess I could have included albinos but I didn't because a) they're almost 100% planters, and we can get 'em in the li'l community fishing ponds and b) they're still rainbows, just albino ones.

Thanks riverdog!
[signature]
[quote WiperMac][font "Calibri"]There was multiple times when I would be fishing in 60+ feet of water and a school would pass by and it would cause my fish finder to give a false reading of bottom. That’s a lot of fish!! The finder I use has ½” target separation so it literary looked like a wall was coming at my poor little jig.[laugh] Is a fish finder required? No, but it’s very nice. As far as summer rigs go, no. I just stick to tubes and spoons. [/font]
[font "Calibri"] [/font]
[font "Calibri"]I’m thinking about skipping out of work on Friday to give it a try. Coyote/Lizard or anyone else, if you want to go, shoot me a PM. I’d love a little company. [/font][/quote]

Hey Coyote...I'd love to go with you sometime. I can't Friday, I have an all-day commitment at work.

Sometime soon hopefully![Image: happy.gif]
[signature]