Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Float Tube Rod Holder Help
Hey everyone I just bought my first float tube and would like to start building a custom rack for my rods. I read all the archived posts and i understand the building part of it. I need help with the securing part. I just purchased a classic accessories cumberland float tube and it doesn't have d rings on the bottom of the tube, only on the top by the side pockets. Seems like it would be no problem if i had the ring on the bottom but since I don't I'm a little stumped. Maybe someone here has some crafty way to lash a rack to my tube. Thanks in advance and any help would be appreciated.
[signature]
According to this, it has Backpack D rings on the bottom:

Product Features
Backpackable float tube with adjustable shoulder straps for easy carrying
Hydrodynamic hull shaped for superior tracking and steering
Thickly padded seat and adjustable backrest; 2 fishing rod holders
2 cargo pockets; mesh stripping apron with integrated fish ruler
Back mesh storage platform; measures 47 x 17.5 x 56 inches (W x H x D)

If not, is there D rings on the outside of the side bags?
[signature]
Yea there are d-rings on the side pockets. I purchased it thinking it had d-rings on the bottom but there aren't any
[signature]
If you have a bottom brace on your rack, you could attach a bungee to it and bring it all the way around the arm of the tube to the d ring by the pocket.
[signature]
I was thinking secure the top of the rod holder with the D rings on the pocket on the side you are mounting the rod holders, and run a bungie from the bottom of the rod holder under the tube to the D rings on the other side. I am not good at this stuff though.
[signature]
Thanks for the quick replies. There is no frame on the bottom to lash too. Running it to the other side might work. Only thing I would be worried about is creating too much drag in the water. Any way to create an anchor point underneath my tube safely?
[signature]
I wouldn't think a bungie would create a drag. It will run right under your seat.
Tube Dude is the answer man here. I am a Scotty girl....LOL
[signature]
Was thinking about the Scotty holders but at 35 a pop might end up spending more on rod holders than the tube itself
[signature]
Yes you can.[laugh][laugh] I have several on my pontoon, but I buy one a year, he, he, he.
[signature]
Well time for trial and error I think lashing to the other side may be my best bet. Thanks for all the suggestions and speedy responses. Will let you guys know how it goes. Any other suggestions are also welcome of course
[signature]
My wifes tube only has the rings by the pocket so i made one that is kind of u shaped so a top and bottom bar are against the tube and when fully inflated it wont move. I can't post a pic until later when i get home from work.
[signature]
That could help Matt, thanks.
[signature]
A picture would be great. I think I get what you are saying though. Do you only secure to the drings for security?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Sorry to chime in late on this one. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Classic Accessories is a "price" line of tubes and toons. They are made for those on a budget and are not designed to appeal to more sophisticated (rack happy) anglers. They cut costs wherever they can, rather than add features that will appeal to more discriminating buyers. D rings add to the costs of materials and manufacture so that is not something they overdo.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That being said, if you want to add sonar, rod racks and other things you can do so without major modifications to your craft. In the olden days...of round tubes...we faced a similar situation. Very few D rings. All of my earliest add-ons were simply lashed on with nylon rope...and later with bungee cords. These are best secured by tightening them a bit before complete inflation and then letting the final inflation of the air chambers cinch them up real tight. Doesn't hurt the cover or air chamber and helps prevent rotation around the tube during fishing time.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am attaching a PDF file I have been including with copies of my book. It has a pictorial history of different rod holders I have played with over the years. Might be some ideas in there for you.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good luck.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Very cool tubedude. Have you heard anything about the Cumberland float tube or tried one? I jus bought it so maybe I should return it for something else? I mainly got it for the 1000 denier bottom since I am not the most gentle or careful person
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I have not personally tried one. Nor do I know anybody who has one. I used to own a Kennebec, which is a mini pontoon made by them for Trout Unlimited. Hated it. Got rid of it as soon as I could. But my expectations are not the same as everybody else's.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In reading the info and reviews on the Cumberland it would seem that they have responded to the wants and needs of the tubing community...in most areas...besides the D rings. The PVC bottom is a nice touch...if you drag your tube or bring it in and out over rough rocks. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I don't like the front stabilizer bar. Too many potential problems for break or loss...and a pain to set up and take down when launching or beaching.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I also do not like the compartmented pockets. Okay if you are a fly fisherman with multiple small boxes and trinkets. But if you chuck big lures and need larger lure boxes there is not enough room for even a mid size box. You have to cut out some of the walls on the small pockets to create larger pockets.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]They now have foam seats. Those keep you higher out of the water and are more comfortable than the older model "sling" seats.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you got a reasonably good buy on it, keep it and use it. Get to know it well and keep your eye on the other options out there. At some point you will decide whether or not you are serious enough to want an upgrade...and you will be better informed about making a long term decision.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In short...you could have done worse. You could have also spent a few more dollars and got a bit more craft...Fish Cat or ODC 420. Your decision on what to do next. Good luck.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks I guess I'll be the guinea pig and try it out and write a review on it for you guys. I've used my buddies fishcat4 a few times so will be comparing to that. I got it for 170 so not too bad if it ends up sucking. I'll buy a fat cat and use the Cumberland as a loaner for my buddies. Thanks for all the help again and I will post pics once I come up with something for the rod rack
[signature]
If you had a picture I might be able to add a little help as well. Usually a pic will get my creative juices flowing and then I usually can come up with something rather quick.[cool] One thing I did was cut slits in a piece of PVC and attach it to the D ring with quick clips. Here are a couple of pics. One is my toon you can see on the blue rack the quick clip. The second it my caddis u tube. You can see the attachment quite clearly. Works great too! I have used this system on several tubes and toons such as my leigh toon, two round caddis tubes, a caddis u boat, and my wifes FC4.
[inline "DSCN0684 - 400.jpg"]
[inline "DSCN0710 - 400.jpg"]
[signature]
Thanks for the pics albino trout very helpful. In the second pic is the bottom of that rack tied off to something to secure it or is it only attached by the d rings?
[signature]
It s only attached by the d rings but one can se a piece of poly rope or gungy to tie it off to the tube as well. Did that with my nephews boat. He has a grgg.
[signature]