Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AF, Boat Harbor 12/13/2011
I went to AF Boat Harbor Last Saturday and only caught 7 Whites but they were big. I didn't take pic's of those and have heard it's slowed way down since then. Today I didn't make it out on the ice until 1:45pm, and in the first hour and a half only caught One little Perch that I snagged and One very small White Bass and a Tiny Blue Gill..
[Image: 012.jpg]
This isn't a post were I need a Tape Measure, I think a Buck Knife will sufice for Scale.
First 3 Fish almost made me laugh Wait, I did Laugh, but the skunk wasn't happening today.
[Image: 016.jpg]
The next two hours were fun as the very small Blue Gill's just kept biting both my Jigs tipped with Perch eye and waxies. if my wax worm was gone I knew it right away as the bite was gone too. One pole had a small pink tube with a pink jig head and the other was a Black/chart Minnow/Gold fixed blade vertical jig. Pink hand painted Heddon Sonar 433 snagged the Perch and caught the Whitie.
[Image: 017.jpg]
I didn't see one other person catch any thing the whole time I was there. We all have to ask our self if we're going to stand there looking Skunked or our we going to go Find some Structure [Image: icon_smile.gif]
Ice is still about 2 1/2 to three inches with slight bit of slush on top and, Water forming.
around the Docks now.
Parting shot,
[Image: 013.jpg]
[signature]
Thanks for the report, BB22. Looks like a fun day on the ice. From your pics, though, it looks you caught the green sunfish kind, instead of the bluegills. Others can confirm and if they are the sunfish kind, congrats, I don't think I've ever seen anybody catch that many green sunfish in one outing. I would catch one or two, along with the gills, but not the numbers that you caught and they all look they have some size to them. Way to git'r dun!
[signature]
He is right. Those metalic green spots near the mouth are a dead give away. It is easy to confuse a green sunfish with a bluegill. The 1st time we got one a guy on the beach told us, "hey nice bluegill". We thought it was a bluegill till the UWN members thankfully informed us it was a greenie. A couple of months later I was at willard bay and thought I caught a bluegill/green sunfish hybrid. TyeDyeTwin took a look at them and informed me that they were in fact Green Sunfish. Those things taste great BTW. Plus due to big mouths they will take just about anything.
[signature]
Thanks Guys, I thought some of them could be Sunfish and was going to check the proclamation to be sure before posting but lets be Honest, I still wouldn't have known Ha ha.
[signature]
I can not for the life of me rember where to get those sonic lures Where can i get some?
[signature]
You can get them at cabelas or sportsman but you won't find the Pink ones because they are HOT right now and sold out everywhere. Here's the Sad part, I hear they're discontinued. Thats right, no more pink ones. So they won't likely be coming in.
[signature]
Everyone of them sunfish are green sunfish, except for one hybrid green/ gill LOL. You must have been on top of a pile of rocks haha. They loooove rocks lol.
[signature]
[quote Fin-S-Fish]Everyone of them sunfish are green sunfish, except for one hybrid green/ gill LOL. You must have been on top of a pile of rocks haha. They loooove rocks lol.[/quote]

You know your Fish and, where to catch them for sure. Ha ha
[signature]
those sunfish can be the most aggressive fish if you can find them>

tightlines
[signature]
[#000000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I was there Tuesday 12/13 fishing off the dock from 7 a.m. until 10. I had a similar experience. My first fish was a mud cat, then nothing but baby whities and baby perch, no gills or sunfish. Ice fishing while it was snowing, gotta love it!
[/size][/font][/#000000]
[signature]
Isn't it funny how small everything was that day. Like Mom and Dad went out to the lake for the day and left the kids in the harbor.
[signature]