Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hoopin' for the Bugs a la Float Tube

Hey there TubeDude,

The kids got a plan. I'm gonna buy a hoop net set. (Hoop Net + Float + 100 feet of Rope) I'll catch my bait and set my trap where those little Spiny Lobster roam. I'll bet inside the Cabrillo breakwater there will be our friends waiting to be invited as the guest of honor at my table.

One guy has a live underwater cam where you can watch the little clever crustaceans crawl in and out of the net day or night.

I should do a stealth set and pull without attracting too much attention from would-be theives.

Limit is 7 per day and there is a strict size limit but last season was a killer so... I'ma goin' fer it!

Last year a guy caught lobster via his hoop nets all season setting and pulling his traps daily off of a SURF BOARD!!

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool]Sounds like a real plan. Let me know when you are ready to fire up the "barbie". I'll bring my own fork and napkin.

I used to dive for bugs all along the wall. Nightime was always best, because they came out and strolled along the bottom. But, if I wasn't afraid to grab back into some of the holes, I scored too.

How big of a hoop net could you handle from the tube...or is there a prescribed size?

Oh yeah. How do you plan to handle and control those bugs? As I recall, they got lots of sharp points all over them and they flop around a lot. Might be bad news for thin walled air chambers.
[signature]
[size 2]How do you feel with all the red tide though? I have heard that normally it just effects mussels,clams,etc but I have heard it could effect crabs, other other shelled sea life because the bacteria can get trapped under there shells,etc.[unsure][/size]

[size 2] If I get more info on that I will post it.[/size]
[signature]
[#ff0000][size 1]"One guy has a live underwater cam where you can watch the little clever crustaceans crawl in and out of the net day or night. "[/size]
[/#ff0000]

Is the Cam hooked up to the web? If so what is the address, I would like to see that.
[signature]
[size 2]Discovery.com has different things like that too I heard[Wink][/size]
[signature]

Hi there hustler898,

I lost the link myself but the article mentioning that cam was in the local southern California saltwater fishing magazine titled fish taco chronicals. There website address is fishtacochronicals.com. You'll find an extensive article written in 2002 on hooping in their archives mentioning the afore mentioned infra-red live cams.

The guy who did it last year might not even set it up this season. who knows? Sorry I couldn't be more specific.

JapanRon
[signature]
Found the site and article but there is no mention of a web link to the camera. Too bad.
[signature]
[cool]Just guessing, but it sounds like the guy probably has one of the AquaView cameras that are becoming popular with a lot of fresh water fishermen who specialize in vertical presentations to structure-oriented fish. These things are becoming especially popular for ice fishing.

[Image: p012049hz02.jpg]

These things function by lowering the camera and then watching what it sees on the little screen. It takes some practice, to be able to interpret what you are seeing, but it can really help you to know what is really below you.
[signature]