Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Henrys Report
Finally made it back onto the ice yesterday. I was so busy all week that I forgot to print off my ice fishing contest picture...again. O'well it will be someone elses year.

Met a friend who came from Montanna at 5:20 in the morning. When we got to the ice there were already people out there fishing. Word has gotten out that the early bite may be the last bite.

We picked up eight fish in the morning. Not fast, but not complaining. Nothing huge a couple in the 19" range, several babies. After awhile I got the itch to move to a new place. We decided to follow a tip from a family member. It payed off to listen. On the way to the move we picked up another friend who was fish with flyfishingfool, and fishingrookie. It is a small world how we are all interconnected in some way.

The move was very productive. I didn't know there was anywhere on Henrys that didn't shut down after 9AM. Well there is such a place. It wasn't fast at any point during the day, but we steadily picked up one here and there throught the whole day.

It was a really beautiful day with no wind and some sunshine to boot.

Great fishing with flyfishingfool and fishingrookie. I will go ahead and self report so they don't have to harass me. I was terrible at losing fish today. I don't know how many I missed but it was getting embarrasing. [blush]

Windriver
[signature]
When you say you were missing fish , does that mean the Jawjackers were not connecting . I ask because I bought one today and planing on trying it out tomorrow at Blackfoot Res. Curt G.
[signature]
It was good fishing with you again. It was sure a beautiful day out there Saturday. It was my first time ice fishing there and I'm pretty sure it's my new favorite place. I'm headed up again in a couple days and hoping its just as good.
[signature]
The fish prefered jigging yesterday. The jawjacker still wacked a few. I just did not have my normal "touch" maybe the jacker has filed my senses. [cool]

Windriver
[signature]
Thanks Windriver , I will post how I do . Curt G.
[signature]
I was also there on Saturday. I have been there several times ofer the last couple of weeks. Each time has been enjoyable. Saturday we were fishing about 1/2 way between the boat dock and staleys. We were there about 630 and got our holes drilled and set up. A large group came just as we were starting to fish, they had probably 15 people in their group. They set up about 20 yards further out directly behind us. I just kind of had a feeling we should pack up and go somewhere else, but we stayed. Seems like first light has been the best fishing these past two weeks. This large group then started up their auger and commenced drilling no less than 40 or so holes. When he finally finished it was full light and we hadn't caught anything yet. Kinda gave me a sour attitude the rest of the day which in actuality is probably why we didn't do so well. I am all for fishing in groups, but come on.

I am new to ice fishing, but I wasn't expecting a day-after thanksgiving style rush up there to be quite honest with guys clammering to drill a hundred holes and push people out of the way. In fact, I could use any advice anyone is willing to give me, I am all ears. Smile

There were definitely lots of people there. The fishing, in my opinion, is definitely slowing down. Has anyone fished over by the hatchery or out from wild rose? Would be interested to know how it is, just seems like staleys and the boat dock area might be getting fished out. I also saw a few set up in the stump hole, that might be fun to try.
[signature]
We fished just out from wild rose marina Friday afternoon and Saturday morning. Fishing wasn't fast by any means except for about 10 minutes right around 8am. We had four rods getting bites at the same time and only 2 of us to man them. Needless to say, we only ended up with one of the four on the ice. Friday afternoon was quite slow and sat AM was better but only occasional action except for the early flurry. I marked a lot of fish while I was jigging right off the bottom but a great deal of them just weren't interested despite what I had on. My biggest disappointment was losing a very large brookie right at the hole. I will again reiterate how awesome my jigger totters work. The bites were mostly light and the JT's helped increase our detection and hooking percentage consistently. Quite a few folks out fishing but certainly not crowded by any means. Good luck to everyone going up!

Cole
[signature]
Thanks for the report Windriver--I am hoping to hit it one more time during Christmas Break. I know I will be taking a long walk if I do in hope to getting to new (unused) ice. As for you forgeting your picture well thank you, as we all know your numbers would probably be in the 100s by now[Wink] This is going to be a very good contest this year, two more fish species to go and I will at least have the "7"!

OvidCreek
[signature]
Two of us fished the state boat dock Saturday morning. Marked a lot of fish, missed 3, my better half landed one nice cutthroat. I've been hearing about it for three days.
[signature]
Are we loving Henrys to death this year? How many big and medium sized ones will be left??????
[signature]
Nice trip guys! Some good times, make good memories.
[signature]
I think the lake will be fine.
[signature]