Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sonar vs flasher on the ice
I've got a old 570 humminbird that I had on my old boat, my question is if I set it up to take on the ice will it work as good as a flasher. I'm gonna try it regardless but would like to know the difference.
[signature]
Man yer gonna start another fight[laugh] In my opinion it will work but not as well as a flasher. Lots of guys use finders that they move from there boat to the ice, and swear bye them.
[signature]
In my opinion it will work better. If you know how to, and have the ability to, adjust the scroll speed. Set it on the fastest scroll. If you can adjust the ping rate, set it on it's highest speed as well.
[signature]
I've never started a fight on here, just accelerated them a bit[cool] As far as the principal of how a finder works it should be fine I just wondered what all the fuss was over flashers.
[signature]
Chevy, Ford, Dodge... Here we go again! Lol
[signature]
That is a good debate. I go with finder on ice tho. I think that target separation is better with a flasher (only by a little bit, and you can usually compensate and do fine). Also, I love having the history that a finder provides. I set mine so the screen moves like a 5 out of 10 speed and it is great. If a fish moves thru quickly, then you can still tell the depth and set your lure right in the sweet spot. With the RTS (real time sonar) feature on many finders...you can see your jigs and put them right in mr. fishies face. The last benefit that I see...$$$. It is awesome to have one good unit for both the boat and ice with a quick conversion. I use a pvc mount on the back of my little boat with some sturdy broom holders/clamps to hold it on my boat. In the winter, simply add the "T" to the top of the PVC and you are ice'n.
[signature]
I think mainly it boils down to Target separation, down to 1/2- 1/4 with a flasher and maybe the biggest is real time display with the flasher vs delay with a regular sonar. I'm sure that somebody else will chime in with more technical input.
[signature]
Dodge!!!!! Lol[sly]
[signature]
Haha, I wondered when we would see the first flasher/sonar post of the ice fishing year!

If you're ever up around PV, lemme know. I'll probably be there with my flasher and I'll let you take it for a test drive. [sly]
[signature]
Ice-55 that is... Actually I have always liked Dodge but Ford wasn't begging for the bail-out! Lol Talk about debate huh
[signature]
Thing you have to remember is that their built ford tough with chevy stuff. When half the parts on a ford say ACDelco it's gotta be true. As far a Dogde goes, I'd rather have NOpar than MOPAR!
[signature]
Ford didn't need a bail-out because they make so much money off repairs and parts!
[signature]
ROFL! Like I said ” talk about a debate” this stuff is all too funny![cool]
[signature]
I have both and I use both. Unless I am fishing for macks in deep water (approximately 65' or deeper or so) I prefer my flasher. The primary reason is that when I do a hook set, my Lowrance Color sonar screen looks like there is a huge school of fish on the screen, right around my lure, although I know most of the time that is not the case. It clears up after a few seconds, but in the meantime I can't see my lure or the one or two fish that are often near my lure.
[signature]
Amen to that Brookie...only,ford I can really say I would dump $$$ into is the 78/79 Ford HiBoys.. Them were badass trucks.. F-150's are like having a Radio Flyer wagon for a bed.. Useless.. M.O. LOL oh yeah what were we really talkin about!!! Vex fl-20... Works bomb fer me..[Wink]
[signature]
eagle fishmark 320 love and easy to use shows my jig and fish that come from all over different depths to see it real enoough time for me and it works really well
[signature]
You allready gave GM alot of your money to bail their a-- out you might just as well keep buying their products. NOT![Wink]
[signature]
From your past history I think you just like watching the pretty lights on the flashers and connecting the DOTS[:p]
[signature]
I use the eagle fishmark 320 also and I can separate fish to within 3 or 4 inches. I can tell when there is a fish coming off the bottom by seeing how thick the line where my jig gets. I thought about getting a flashed but couldn't justify the price of one when my finder seems to do the same thing. Just a different display. I was asking someone about their flasher and watched how it worked. My eagle worked just as well in my opinion.
[signature]
See I told you Catmaster, a fight . Now I gotta respond to PACKFAN with a nasty pm!!![Tongue]
[signature]