Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing rod and reel
I'm going to be getting a new rod and reel soon and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for me? I was looking at the abu garcia vendetta as far as rods go. I do alot of bass fishing and i prefer a spinning reel. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
[signature]
Last week Calranch had a 36" Eagle Claw rod and reel combo on sale for $ 12.99 . I bought 2 of them and have been using them on Henry's and Blackfoot Res. They are great for bigger fish . I would not recomend them for pan fish that bite real soft . Curt G.
[signature]
bass pro shops bionic blade and 2500 shimano spirex combo. 120 shipped (via bass pro) to your house or go to sportsman get a spirex and go to walmart and get an ugly stik lite pro. both poles have good sensitivity for plastics and work fine with cranks and jerkbiats.. if you are tough on poles go with ugly stick lite pro.
[signature]
I like the Bionic Blade too. It's been a good rod to me. You might want to check ebay as well. I just got a brand new Shimano Clarus for $21. I have quite a few rods, and I've been really happy with Bass Pro, Fenwick, Shimano and St Croix spinning rods. I pretty much use Pflueger reels. Once again there are some great deals on ebay on these reels. I got a new Arbor reel to go with that rod for $40. I have another Arbor and am very happy with it's performance. It's very smooth, casts lures a mile, and I've never had a tangle come off of it. It also works especially well with braid.
[signature]
I have been a big fan of Okuma products, other than that they are made in China. They have some very good spinning reels and also the rods they have come in lengths and actions that can be very hard to find. Like my 8'6" ultra light ($35). They have high BB counts too. They also put money back into the northwest fisheries.
[signature]
This is my new favorite reel . The bait runner models . I have some Quatum PTI reels that cost a hole lot more but like these better . Curt G.
[signature]
I got a pflueger president a couple years back and a fenwick hmx to go with it. I've loved the combo and the sensitivity is great.
[signature]
I think it completely depends on your goals for the rod. Are you looking to fill a gap in your current arsenal or do you just want something new to try? Also, what is your price range?

My recommendation:
Okuma Relfexion - 6'9" ML -$60
Shimano Sedona 2500 - $60

The Reflexion is one of the most underrated rods on the market IMO. I fish it more than my G Loomis GLX ($360 rod) if that tells you anything. Don't let the Medium Light action fool you either. Still enough backbone to fish Texas rigged plastics, jigs, senkos, or tubes.

If you're just after a new rod I have two spinning rods that don't get much use.
Okuma Reflexion 6'6" MH
Shimano Clarus 6'6" MH

Both rods are like new (barely used them one season) they just don't suit me well. $30 each.
[signature]
I don't think you could buy a better reel for the money than the Pflueger President.
[signature]
i used to fish strictly bionic blades for bass. I fished alot of the Bass federation tourneys and it never let me down. I now have all my reels on abu garcias mostly vendettas and a few veritas rods. I am absolutely in love with the vendetta in 6'9'' ml for smallie fishing. i have plfueger president xt reels on all my spinning rods wont ever switch. i wouldnt hesitate on he new bionic blade if you like it get it but I AM IN LOVE WITH THE VENDETTA so my vote is for it. this is coming from a guy with 13 of them so i might be a little biased.
[signature]
I have not tried them, but if I get tired of my PTI I will have to give it a try, looks like a very high end reel for 60ish bucks. Thanks for the info
[signature]
Thank you all very much. Your responses are very appreciated.
[signature]
I personally have tried a ton of gear both rods and reels...I prefer spinning gear over baitcasting gear simply because having had both...theres really nothing about a baitcaster that makes it worth the trouble...so that being said...I have used bionic blades and also Cabelas Tourney trail rods and even the most money Ive ever spent on a rod was the BPS Pro Qualifier 70 million modulous rod...and honestly I never liked them much..they were all too stiff like fishing w a broom handle...Also the ugly stiks were similarly TOO limber or whippy for me and they dont have enough control....So for me for the money St Croix Triumph rods are awesome for 70 bucks...but if thats too much for ya I would go with whatever floats yer boat and feels good to you...I look for good graphite...high quality guide sets...the more guides the merrier....for example I have an old Berkely Lightning rod that has only five guides on the shaft...pretty much all my other rods have 7 plus the tip...and their performance is way better...also I prefer a split grip rod over regular but more importantly I like what I call a cork over handle...basically meaning that there is cork over the top of the reel seat so your not holding the reel block with threads and such...otherwise its about having strong backbone, but a fast tip for sensitivity....as far as reels go...I have several now that I really like...tried okuma...shimano...and several others and as for wear and durability I think Phlueger makes the best reels...I have two Trions and a President..and really dig em...great bb count and smooth bail action....awesome drags...I also bought a Cabelas Proguide reel last spring and it has also been great...if you hold it up to a phlueger they are pretty much identical...so I think its made for Cabelas by Phlueger...anyway...food for thought. Good Luck!
[signature]
i was thinking the same thing about the prouide when i saw it....also shakespeare and pflueger are owned together. pick up a shakespeare dimension and a president and they are identical other than the 20 difference.

same with the shakspeare deciever and the pflueger supreme
[signature]
Well my wife ended up getting me the abu garcia vendetta rod for christmas. And I took the advice alot of you gave and picked up a pflueger president reel. I very very happy with the combo! Thanks again for all the advice!!
[signature]
you will be very happy with that combo. what length and action did you get.
[signature]
Alright...now lets see some pics of some lunkers[Smile]
[signature]
It's 6' 9". Medium light action Smile
[signature]
like I said in my earlier post thats my favorite... [Smile]
good choice
[signature]
I almost got the same rod but i decided on a pflueger rod i enjoy it though so i dont have any regrets on not getting it. I was looking at that and the veritas.. .
[signature]