Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Float Tubing Club ???
[cool][#0000ff]I used to be a part of the Utah Anglers Coalition here in Utah. As the name implies, it is an organization working toward unifying anglers in this state...regardless of their preferred waters, species or tackle used. They work closely with the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources (DWR) to keep tabs on problems, issues and regulations...and also work on behalf of anglers to get their concerns in front of DWR.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Last week I was approached by several members of UAC to see if I would be open to getting a float tubing club started in Utah. They realize that we tubers and tooners are not the single largest group of anglers in the state, but they suspect that our members would probably represent a good cross section of all the other groups. I agree. And as such we would add another voice to any concerns or feelings about pending regulation changes...or lack of same.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Most importantly, if we were to form such a club, the main focus would be on FUN. We would not need to overdo the Roberts Rules of Order or get into any kind of political muss and fuss. Mainly we would simply have maybe one meeting a month...to trade tricks and tactics and to compare our craft and get new ideas. We would probably also have several semi-organized group "floatillas" on area waters for the purpose of catching fish and maybe some fish fries later.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]This is not the ideal time of year to be thinking about things related to open water fishing, but if we can get enough initial interest we will have time to put together a more organized program...and get input and suggestions from all who might like to participate.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have to say right up front that I do not plan to take full charge of this club, if we do put it together. I will take an active role and will contribute all I can in terms of assisting with matters of buying, setting up and fishing from a tube or toon. But at my stage in life I am looking for more fishing time and less busywork. So if anybody wants to toss their hat in the ring to help get the show on the road, feel free to do so.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Oh yeah. Merry Christmas everybody. And thanks for a busy and interesting year of informative posts and discussions.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
TD I would be interested in joining the club and helping out where and when I could. But I guarantee I would not be the one to spearhead anything, I probably would not even be able to make it to all of the monthly meetings or all of the outings either, keep me posted.
[signature]
the most important question in regards to me, and me alone..... can you have an adult beverage or 19 as long as you have a safe way home? if so im in like flynn
[signature]
I would be very interested in participating in such a group. I'm willing to help out with things but like Laroo said for himself, I'm probably not the one to drive things.
[signature]
Im in, I can help in just about any way needed. Especially dialing up the fun. I think for out first get together we should have a boat show. Not like the one that sells boats but more like a boat "show off" show. And that might be a great January thing.

So lets get the ball rolling.
[signature]
[quote kochanut]the most important question in regards to me, and me alone..... can you have an adult beverage or 19 as long as you have a safe way home? if so im in like flynn[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]Haven't drafted any bylaws or rules yet. That would be something that would be subject to a majority vote (in Utah). No problem as far as I am concerned but it won't be just one person's club.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]My concept, at this point, would be for a very loose organization without a lot of funky rules. The main thrust would be an association of like-minded nut cases who might enjoy getting together on the water...if not in some meeting room.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I hate meetings. But sometimes it can be enjoyable to have special interest sessions on various aspects of the sport. And they don't have to run for any specific length of time. When we're done, we're done.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Furthermore, attendance at meetings will not be a condition of maintaining membership. The whole thing needs to be on a voluntary and availability basis. Otherwise, it goes from being fun to being a chore. Hate that.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Ditto what I replied to Laroo.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I can see that the responsibility of spearheading the initial setup and formation logically falls upon my shoulders. I have lots of organizational experience and even a little bit of tubing experience.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Howsomever, once we have a semi-functional club going I am likely to abdicate in favor of someone younger and more ambitious. Hopefully we can attract enough participation that there will be plenty of people to handle whatever details might need to be processed. Shouldn't be much.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote OldTroller]Im in, I can help in just about any way needed. Especially dialing up the fun. I think for out first get together we should have a boat show. Not like the one that sells boats but more like a boat "show off" show. And that might be a great January thing.

So lets get the ball rolling.[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]Good idea. That is something I also felt would be a good kickoff. And it is something we can make a regular part of our meetings. People can bring their rides to either show off new ideas...or ask for help from others for modifications or problems.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Of course that will require a meeting place with a bit of space for setting up some inflatables.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]January might be a bit soon. Let's see how the response goes and think about February. I might even be back on some soft water by then...depending on how Mama Nature plays this winter.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Have toon and tube, Ill play.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey Pat-too. It would be good to have ya with us.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]How is your back doing?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
If this club where to take off, and good numbers, it would also be a good voice to be heard at the DMV. It is totally rediculouse we are paying the same as a 21' boat to licence these things with egg beaters.
[signature]
+1+1+1
[signature]
Getting more and more crippled as the days go by! [:/]
[signature]
Another fun first meeting thing would be to tour the Tube Modification Center and Museum that is Tubedudes' house.

I say let's make the first one a real come-as-you-are event. Even if no rules have been set up. Just a real informal gathering to test the turn out of this kind of thing.

It looks like we got us a club starting up and I want to help/be in the getting it going phase.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Depending upon how many wanna come play we could hold the first one in the "tubeatorium"...my garage. As you know from your visits it is a 3 car setup with overhead lights and gas heating.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Heck, I might even whup up a pot of perch chowder.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Pick a night next month to make this happen and I'll be there. TDs place should be where we put the Hall Of Fame. I would vote to have him be the first inductee. If you're reading this and he holds a meeting there DO NOT miss it. He has a fishermans Garagemahall.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]This is a big part of the concept, as it was thunk up by the UAC. Strength in numbers. By getting a bit organized and defining some of the areas in which we are ignored...or persecuted...we might have a better chance to be heard and to make changes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It was even suggested that our club might become the nucleus of something on a much larger scale.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In my younger and more ambitious days I had delusions of creating a nationwide association of tubers and tooners. That would help with advancing the overall knowledge of our sport and getting agencies and manufacturers to pay more attention to us. Right now we have to settle for what everybody tells us we have to settle for. That ain't right.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Ultimately we could even establish a nationwide listing for float tubing laws and regulations...state by state...and go to work on those that are still in the dark ages...or caves. It would also be cool to set up a record keeping function to track the largest fish caught from tubes or toons...of all species...both catch and keep and C & R. Might even have a separate fly fishing section.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Keep the thoughts and ideas coming. Hopefully by the time we can all meet up for the first time I can have some structured writeups for everybody to review and vote on.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I am interested but I too have little time to take the reigns.
[signature]
To have a boat show, we would definately need a large room. Especially if I bring my fleet. [laugh]
[signature]