Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greys Fly Rod
Hi Folks,
Bout a week ago , I picked up a Greys 8ft 6in 3 piece 5/6 weight flyrod at a garage sale for 25 bucks. Lucky I am. Don't really do garage sales, but I saw a flyrod
case and took a look. The lady said 25 bucks , so I paid her and left. Thought it was a sweet deal. Took it home and loaded it up with sharkskin and waited for an opportunity
That came today. Met Joni at The Willow around 11 or so. Man was it cold.
Enough wind to effect casting and to make it kinda uncomfortable. About1/3rd of the pond is still open water on the east side. Did I say it was cold??
Tied on a #10 olive bugger and started casting. What a sweet rod. Smooth casting, and an overall great feel. Full casts were easy and smooth, and the roll casts were just as easy. Best 25 bucks I have spent in a while.[Smile]
The fishing was pretty slow but we each managed a couple. Both of mine were on the bugger. Not sure what Joni was flinging. We didn't stay to long because it really was cold and my old fingers weren't working all that well, even with the gloves.
Joni had a interesting incident with a dead bird and live fish. Will let her tell bout it if she wants.

Merry Christmas to you all and please don't drink and drive
[signature]
Nice catch! That sounds like a sweet rod. Great to find a treasure like that!

The fish is nice too, but dang if it is anywhere as close to being as cold as we are, you are a hardy soul to get out there.
[signature]
Great meeting up with you pa. Hardy owns Grey. The G Series is listed as an entry level rod, but I would take it over many other rods including the Redington CL.

It has a little bit larger guides which are perfect for out kind of fishing. Specially if the guides start icing. I have the Greys 4/5 weight, and it is my go to for the winter. They do go on sale at "deals on the Fly" often so worth checking that out.

Now on to the bird. I moved over to the ice edge. I noticed a rise here and there. I tied on a Prince Nymph #12 and cast out to just short of the ice. I noticed something floating on the water, I thought a piece of wood. All the ducks and other birds had moved out.
I started stripping back and I felt the tug, and even a slight head shake. I did a slow steady strip and it was like pulling a sunken boot.
As it got closer, I noticed I was dragging the bird, BUT, I had not snagged the bird, in fact I cast no where near it. It was laced in fishing line and definitely dead. The closer I got it, as soon as I stopped stripping something was dragging it back out.
I got it withing 8 feet of shore and saw a large shadow under the murky water. I pulled a little harder as I did not want contack with the bird...in case, when snap!
Using a little too light of leader to muscle. Anyway, the bird moved back out to the depths. I am assuming someone hooked a cat and the bird got wrapped in the line. That fish now also has a fly hanging out of it. Should be an interesting catch for someone.

Oh, and MAN was it cold with that wind, and I am use to standing in rivers.
[signature]
Sounds like a good but cold day on the water for both of you ...I'd say I was jealous but the cold would of kept me off the water...:-)
[signature]