Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
whens the bite?
Happy holidays and all that stuff. For anyone that has been out there or in the know. Trying to go out tomorrow and just wondering when is the most productive time to be out there. This will be my first time out on Mead in the winter and it looks like some of our members have been doing good. Thanks everyone.
[signature]
[cool]Early morning. Got a couple today at 33 hole at gray light. Slow after that.
[signature]
I was out at Hole 33 yesterday in the kayak. I caught zip. Spoke to some boaters who said the only thing the stripers were biting was shad livelined at the bottom. Even then, the bite was slow. I saw alot of arches on the fishfinder so I know they were there, only not biting much.

We were in about 40 ft of water and all I had were anchovies. Also tried vertical jigging and deep cranks...nada.

Shore anglers were not catching anything either from what I could see. I didn't ask what they were using for bait. Most likely anchovies or worms.

I haven't been out to Mead for several weeks and can't believe how much the water level has risen. I launched at Government Wash and the steep enbankment wher I park was almost gone. Incredible. Wonder how much more the water will come up?

Good luck
[signature]
Thanks for the fish dope. Still trying to decide if I am going or not. I hear this is a dry winter from all the skiers so maybe next year the water level will be a little lower.
[signature]
On your fish finder, did you do a thru hull epoxied the transducer with goop?
[signature]
What you get them on? Maybe the bite is off because the full moon?
[signature]
[cool]I was in a floattube near the back of the wash using a fluke on a jig head. The fishing was slow and not everyone was getting fish. I was constsntly kicking around and blind casting.
[signature]
The transducer is thru the hull. I use a cut pool noodle with a cut out for the transducer. The noodle is gooped to the hull but I use marine grease to set the transducer in. That way I can easily remove the transducer and replace the grease as needed. It works like a charm.

The only draw back to thru the hull in the kayak is that the water temperature is no longer accurate. It reads the temperature inside the hull and not the water temp. I noted this when I first installed it. It took about a half hour to come up to the water temp but continued to increase beyond the water temperature. At that time the water temp was about 72*F but the reading settled at 80*F. It was a warm day and that would be about right for the temperature inside the hull.

[Image: Transducer.jpg]

The transducer in the pool noodle with a velco strap to keep it in place.

[Image: IMG_1653.jpg]

The 12v alarm backup battery is in a bicycle Saddle bag. The bag is velcro'd on the underside of the kayak to keep it off the bottom.

[Image: IMG_1661.jpg]

I can pull out the battery carrier to easily install it and then store it away in a neat package.

[Image: IMG_1652.jpg]

The fishfinder is mounted in the front using a scotty mount. The transducer wire is install thru a wire seal.
[signature]
The water levels are now updated on the top of the stickies. Stop talking to Skiers also read more post from the last few weeks. All the info you need for the winter has been posted already.
[signature]