Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mackay report #2
Well I managed to get up to Mackay again today with Steelfisher and one of my sons. It was a great day as I started with wrestling practice then we leisurly made our way up there and got fishing by noon.

I had a grand plan of attack, but the fish did not cooperate. They didn't even let me get set up before they started hitting so fast I couldn't get everything set up. Steelfisher hit his fifth fish in about 15 minutes and then started c&r for next hour. It took me a little longer for my son to get the hang of hooking the kokes. In the end we decided to keep our last fish each around 1:45. Home around 4:30.

What a great day. Thanks Steelfisher.

Too bad the fish didn't cooperate and let us get everything set up.[laugh]

Windriver
[signature]
I hate it when the fish won't cooperate. [Wink]
Wish Mackay was closer so I could do a day trip. One of these days I will have to give it a try. Where's the closest place to get a room for the night?
[signature]
[laugh] Man that sounds terrible! What a problem to have! Glad you had a good day. I miss that place!
[signature]
It was a fun day! I don't think I have ever caught that many kokanee in such a short period of time.
[signature]
Mackay or Arco
[signature]
My brother and I were up there too again today and arrived about the same time (11:30). Quick fishing for kokes. After we had our limits with the kokanee we targeted the trout. We managed two decent bows with a pretty 14 inch brookie. It was a beautiful day to be on the ice.
[signature]
What did you do different to catch the trout ? I plan on putting 3 rods out on Jaw Jackers with night crawler and marshmellow for trout and jigging two . One with a pink swedish pimple and the other with a pink paddle bug to start with . Curt G.
[signature]
You can see the trout come through Curt. Stay away from strong anise scents and use green instead of pink and the trout will hit it.
[signature]
MmDon thanks for the tips . At what depth were the trout coming through . Curt G.
[signature]
I usually have the center of my set over 30' of water. The trout are usually 3' off the bottom but on a day of plankton bloom they will come through from 10' down to the bottom. They are a lot bigger on the screen then the Kokes so I use a rod next to the hole I'm jigging with trout gear to raise up and grab them. [Image: happy.gif]
[signature]
I wish I could say that my techniques were as refined as MMDon's but what I have always done is put the rods right up next to the bank to catch the trout that cruise the periphery. All the trout caught were in 2-4 ft of water. There I also don't have to worry about kokanee hitting it. One was caught on a jawjacker, one was on my own contraption, and the third fish took the hook when I let it back down after having just caught another. I missed a couple others on my own contraption because the hole had frozen up and I didn't notice it.
[signature]
[quote AverysAdventure]I hate it when the fish won't cooperate. [Wink]
Wish Mackay was closer so I could do a day trip. One of these days I will have to give it a try. Where's the closest place to get a room for the night?[/quote]

Rod, Mackay would be the closest. It has been years since I was there but there used to be a motel called the wagon wheel that was a good stay not fancy but I used it a couple times. Ron
[signature]
The Wagon Wheel in Mackey looked to be open the other day.
[signature]
All trout for me today . I should have fished deeper for Kokes . I was on the north end about 100 yards from open water . Did great there , last year for both . Curt G.
[signature]
Any size to the trout?
[signature]
I kept 5 between 14 and 16 " . Let a lot of smaller ones go . Curt G.
[signature]