Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake poaching, Herald today
[Wink] Hey folks, our good buddy Caleb came through for us.

Todays issue of the Herald has a story in the our towns section about the poaching on Utah Lake.

Maybe we can get a little bit of public prssure to make the DWR respond to reports of violations down there now.

Thanks everyone,

walleyebob
[signature]
Way to go bob. Is there an online articale anywhere?
[signature]
For all to see here is the article:

Fishermen worry about increased poaching at Utah Lake
Thursday, October 02, 2003 - 12:00 AM
Caleb Warnock THE DAILY HERALD
Robert Card of Spanish Fork began to be suspicious of fish poaching at Utah Lake's Lincoln Beach after another fisherman approached him one day and offered him $25 for a large walleye.

"I said 'Why do you want mine, you've got walleye already?' and they told me they sell them," he said. "Two weeks ago there were 75 guys standing out there pulling white bass out one after another -- that is why we get so frustrated. My concern is that they are going to wipe out the fishing down there."

Department of Wildlife Resources conservation officer Shawn Bagley said he has received numerous complaints about fish poaching in the area. The amount of fish that can be taken from the lake varies by species, but no game fish may be sold, he said. The DWR has not been able to confirm complaints that walleye and white bass are being sold, though claims are being investigated.

After receiving a recent complaint, however, one sport fisher at Lincoln Beach on Monday was issued a citation of up to $185 plus $10 per fish for having more walleye than is allowed by law.

Card said the DWR is moving too slowly in its investigation and response to complaints.

"The poachers are going to wipe out the population of white bass," he said. "They take them and sell them in the Asian fish market, and they don't really care."

Bagley said that because white bass breed so prolifically in Utah Lake, there is no limit on the number that can be harvested. Card, however, believes a limit must be set if the species is to survive in the lake.

"It concerns everybody that I know that is a sportsmen," he said.

Wally Buhler of Payson, who said he has fished the area for more than 30 years, said a limit is needed on white bass because they are the primary forage fish for walleye. In addition, poaching large female walleyes decimates the breeding population.

DWR officers need to come to the lake more often to check the number of fish being taken, he said.

"You don't see them down there regulating it much," he said. "If they are going to have a limit then they had better regulate it."

Bagley acknowledged that, with only three DWR conservation officers to cover fishing and hunting in Utah County, patrolling as much as is needed at Utah Lake may not be possible.

"We are very short handed," he said.

Bagley asked anyone who believes they may have witnessed poaching, involving fish or other animals, to write down the license plate number and a description of the vehicle involved, as well as the time and place, and a description of the people involved. Those with information can call the DWR poaching tip line at (800) 662-DEER.

♦ Caleb Warnock can be reached at 344-2543 or cwarnock@heraldextra.com.
[signature]
Thanks Bob, that is a begining to what we need to do to get awareness to this issue. I would summit that the next step would be to start a group that focuses on this lakes needs.

I also think that the DWR would be smart to train individuals to help in the education and enforcement of fishing regs. With the budget short falls they could increase enforcement with an army of volunteer reserve officers at many lakes. I personally could contibute time to several lakes in the Northern Region. Cities have parking ticket cops that focus on one particular law violation. A Fishing Conservation Deputy could focus on three things licences, limits and education. The State needs an active group that is willing to step up and support our wildlife with time and effort.

Just my two cents.
[signature]
[#000080][size 2]Bob, you are my hero. [cool] It was good to read the article about our problem. Will anything get done? This is doubtful. Unfortuntately, the Dwr doesn't have the resources or it seems the political backing to follow the rules. Keep the faith, Tommy[/size][/#000080]
[signature]
That was my thoughts exactly! A volunteer force would be ideal. That would definately put a hinderence on poaching. Just the fact that poachers know such a force exists would make them think twice as they look over their shoulders.
[signature]
You know I just might start doing it on my own. You know kind of like the neighborhood watch program. I will make a hand out about fishing regs and selective harvest and take 15 minutes before and after each trip to get the message out. I just might be a big enough pain to piss some of them off and away. A cellphone and a 3X5 card(ok 357mag) might be enough for a while. It will be like a dog marking his territory. Better to be pissed off than pissed on I say.

The Charles Bronson of the walleye community.
[signature]
Good idea! Just don't forget the 357 mag strapped to your side. From what your describing this is big business they may go to extremes to protect their "cash cow"

Back on the LI Sound in NY there where frequent gun battles between Lobster fisherman/ DEC officers and Poachers. Poachers would go out and empty the Lobster guys pots on a regular basis.

I agree just be careful!
[signature]
An here is a link to the actual page on the Daily Herald Website too:

[url "http://www.harktheherald.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=2819"]http://www.harktheherald.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=2819[/url]

I think the volunteer idea is a great idea! Of course we can't issue citations, but at the very minimum right now anyone that goes down there bring a camera/video camera, a cell phone, and a pencil and paper. If this gets documented enough, the DWR will have to send someone down there more often, even if it means they spend less time on other waters.

Someone made a comment about the article in the Herald Online that said that walleye and White Bass are not part of the heritage of Utah Lake since they are introduced species. They basically implied that it doesn't matter if the walleye and white bass populations crash at Utah Lake because they are causing the extinction of the June Sucker. The bottom line is, however that the fishing regulations are in place, and if they are not following them they are BREAKING THE LAW. End of discussion. They need to be punished. Fine the hell out of them and use the money to protect the June Sucker for all I care.
[signature]
[#ff0000]I live next door to a Fish and Game officer and believe me they share your frustrations. The key is to help them spend their time the most productively by reporting offenders. It's a community problem that will require community involvement. "[#000000][size 1]Bagley asked anyone who believes they may have witnessed poaching, involving fish or other animals, to write down the license plate number and a description of the vehicle involved, as well as the time and place, and a description of the people involved. Those with information can call the DWR poaching tip line at (800) 662-DEER[#ff0000]." This is pretty much what my neighbor said also, that would best utilize the resources we have to work with. I like that community watch idea. I wonder if DWR would officially sanction or help develop a structured program like that instead of a bunch of upset vigilante sportsmen picking up an offender here or there hit and miss? Good job Walleyebob! [/#ff0000][/size][/#000000]
[/#ff0000]
[signature]
Thanks cat_man, I tried a bunch of time to get the link in there but it wouldn't work then the computer I was working with crapped out "another dead soldier" Now I got a better one to burn up the keyboard with.
[signature]
Thanks Bob,

I've never met you but we all owe you one for your acts of conservation. Future generations need to be able to enjoy the same quality of fishing that has been available in the past. Thanks again for your efforts..[Wink]
[signature]
Hats off to you bob for taking the time to do something about it!!!! I hope they start taking a closer look.
[signature]
Hey here is a thought! If they fine enough people maybe they can use the money to hire more rangers! At $185 a fine plus $10 for each additional fish they would make a killing just in utah lake alone! Just my .02 cents
[signature]
[Smile] Good job Bob, I've made my complaints two weeks ago and just last week also. A white bass limit is needed at utah lake, specially this time of year, the white bass were so thick last year at lincoln beach it was unreal. I saw a toyota pick up full to the weel wells of white bass. and I saw that truck twice full of white bass. if this keeps happening it won't take long to wipe out the white bass. later chuck
[signature]
You did good my friend, now lets just hope the DWR do their part and start keeping an eye on the area and maybe make some changes on the number of white bass people can keep. WH2
[signature]
I don't want to be the sore thumb on this but if anybody on BFT has read my fishing report you will understand. This problem isn't just Utah lake! It's every place that POACHERS can get away with it. I mainly fished Trophy regulated lakes and every time I get back I call and complain to the DWR about the problems and why nothing is being done to fix it. Take the results from the last Strawberry checkpoint and you'll see it's not just money for the Asian market or what ever. It's your average everyday fishermen/women that you see when your fishing your favorite lake. If you can tell me that every time your out fishing and you don't notice atleast one violation you need to pull your head out and look around. This problem is everywhere and if you want to see something done about it don't expect the DWR to do anything about it. That is unless it's a big game violation then they are on it like stink on crap.

The DWR has excuses for everything and I'm sick and tired of it. It seems thats all they do and when they try and do something it's more politics then what should really happen. If the DWR was ran like a business you wouldn't see half the problems we have now.
[signature]
I think we all understand that the problem is everywhere but this thread was about Utah lake. I don't think anyone was saying that violations don't happen at other lakes but here's the deal, if the DWR can't (or won't) do anything about poaching at a lake that is close to their main office in the city, then there isn't much chance they will do anything about the lakes that are more remote. What needs to happen is an attude change and that begins in places like this and hopefully spreads to everyone else but that takes time and I think all we can do when we see it is tell these people what they are doing is wrong but try not to argue about it but that is hard for a lot of us. The bottom line is the DWR can't be everywhere so lets all do our part by letting these people know what they are doing is wrong for all of us and what will happen if they keep it up( not a threat) but that there will be less fish and the fish will be smaller. Another 2 cent worth. WH2
[signature]
I know this a Utah lake issue but it seems like most people are ignorant about what happens at the local fishing holes. That is unless it slapped in there faces.

I also noticed from a earlier post that the writer of this article was taken out on Utah lake to be shown first hand the problems at Utah lake. I guess he didn't see any poaching because the entire article was quotes from the DWR officer and some guy. The poaching problem did get some public attention but the article could of been 10 times better.

I've turned in more people then ever wanted and made more enemies doing it that I'll never meet in a lifetime. The only problem is even after complaining and passing on info nothing is ever done. It seems like the DWR is expecting the fishermen to do their jobs for them. I don't mind helping out, but when it's so bad you could spend your entire day writing down violations they need to step up and do something about it.
[signature]