Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thanks CVfisher and Coyote
Well I finally made my first trip out on the ice. It was very beautiful start to the day. Just wanted to thank Yote and Mr. CVF for taking me out for the first time ever. By the way on my way back to the truck the ice cracked right under my feet and I swear I felt the ICE shift. Which then made my A$$ cheeks shift! But I made it safely as you both were aware of. But truly thanks for taking me out good company beautiful site never being on ice like that.
[signature]
And there you go wearing the Red shirt when you shoulda grabbed the Brown pants!

Very glad you could make it out on the ice with us. Sorry you ate that banana before you joined up. Wish the weather had been a bit more like Saturday's. Now THERE was a nice day on the ice!
We'll get ya out again, and then we'll learn ya up on how to hook ice-fish. Once you see what a difference the right indicators, and some more jigs to try - you'll be amazed how many bites you can completely miss detecting!

But some folks swear by hand-jigging - and if you can feel it take weight, quick snap. Next time I'll have smoked trout - if that's any further incentive!
I like that you just basically said, in a nice way, that I don't know how to fish....LOL
[signature]
[quote 12inchlunker]I like that you just basically said, in a nice way, that I don't know how to [font "Arial"][#ff00ff][size 5]ICE [/size][/#ff00ff][/font]fish....LOL[/quote]

Well - I was gonna be more blatant and rude about it, but thought better. Don't wanna scare you OFF the ice, jest yet!

It's a different touch - I think I've gotten better at locating and hooking fish with good offers, but trust me - I can stink it up with the best of em! Just send my to Willard and you'll see!
I've been ice fishing for a few years now, and I'm still learning.

It's just like regular fishing, you'll have your good days and bad days.
[signature]
Aside from having to drill to get to the water/fish, I do wonder the difference with ice fishing, jigging and deep nymphing?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Harder to hit the hole with a flyrod.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]Aside from having to drill to get to the water/fish, I do wonder the difference with ice fishing, jigging and deep nymphing?[/quote]

Generally speaking, I think it's safe to assume that winter fish have a much slower 'bite'...the whole metabolism thing. Makes it more of a challenge IMO.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]Aside from having to drill to get to the water/fish, I do wonder the difference with ice fishing, jigging and deep nymphing?[/quote]

[center]the length of the anglers pole!
[/center]
typically ice-fishing you ARE jigging, cuz - well - it's tough to troll. You could bottom bounce, but it's gonna be up-n-down. Some jigs will "swim" but it's more a side-to-side, or spiraling downward dance.

Nothing wrong with throwing a fly down an ice hole. Just the fish are pretty line shy, so not sure what they'd think of your sinking lines. But ya got yer tippet....
Though you'd probably be restricted to fishing outside, unless you got a REALLY big tent!
I was talking conventional ice poles and mono as they are made for this type of fishing. No fly line as the ice would really mess that up, so again no need for a fly rod and reel.
Deep nymphing is either a long leader off a floating line with an indicator, or a fast sinking line with the drop and bring up motion. No scent or taste.

I know Pokymon does real well with a Prince Nymph.

Lavaman, are the fish (and I am talking trout as I don't target warm water species so to speak) I notice the fish get active when the sun comes out in the winter and active when the sun goes down or first comes up in the summer...LOL
[signature]
Like the others said, the biggest difference is a very light bite. I have 2 ice fishing poles, an Ice n Easy that came with a spring bobber, and a normal ice rod that I bought a spring bobber for. The first time I took it out I forgot the spring bobber for the normal rod and I caught probably 1/3 the amount on that one as the other one. They still bite hard occasionally, but that spring bobber is very helpful.
[quote jdawg183]Like the others said, the biggest difference is a very light bite. I have 2 ice fishing poles, an Ice n Easy that came with a spring bobber, and a normal ice rod that I bought a spring bobber for. The first time I took it out I forgot the spring bobber for the normal rod and I caught probably 1/3 the amount on that one as the other one. They still bite hard occasionally, but that spring bobber is very helpful.[/quote]

Light bite can be true when deep nymphing, so not sure that is different. I guess I need to give it a try to be able to compare. I know with deep nymphing, if the fish are not where I drop my flies, I kick to a new spot....not sure about this having to drill another hole to do that...LOL
[signature]
Jdawg - come try the perch at Newton - you'll see what I mean - the trout DO pull and tug - they'll even run with it, but not them little panfishies. They were even more timid than the Gills at Mantua.

[center]FG: Pros and cons of thicker ice.
[/center]
[center]Harder to drill through = harder to fall through.
[/center]
I fully intend on heading to Newton before too long. Have to take my cousin to a wrestling meet Saturday or I would do it then! I guess the trout do put up a bit more fight, but there were a lot of those on Saturday that I would not have noticed without the spring bobber. That puppy was barely moving!