Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
burbot
Sorry for all that I have not returned pms I have been on a five day fishing trip the last 2 nights have been to Wyoming for burbot. Really slow fishing but really fun we where fishing in 19 feet the first night and 24 the next night using glow jigs tipped w ith sucker meat. Really lite bites with the ling trout was hold on you knew what it was really cold the first night really warm the second night. Ice was 16 plus inches thick only caught 11 ling 3 trout in the 2 nights but was a blast. Will try a new location next time. And the ice made noise all night long and way loud kind of scary.
[signature]
Man those buggers are uuuuuuggggllllyyyyy! Are they really as yummy as everyone says?

Still on my bucket list to catch one. I am hoping to hit the burbot bash next month!
[signature]
Thanks for the report. Those burbots look like mutant Tiger Muskies. How long was the 1st one? Glad to see you could help out the gorge and get a few. I hear they taste a lot like halibut. Hard to tell by the photos of the trout...but were those browns or rainbows you guys caught there? Glad to hear you guys did not get completely skunked. Thanks for the pictures too.
[signature]
34,35,36 was our big ones and they taste like lobster so good.I think some kind of cutt but not for shore .
[signature]
looks like fontenelle browns! nice catch!
[signature]
Cool browns.
I know burbot are no bueno for the gorge, but I think they're neat looking. I wouldn't mind a pair of boots made out of their skin!
[signature]
Them are fontelle fish not the gorge!
[signature]
Yeah yeah, I know. Just sayin was all.
[signature]
why are browns no bueno for the gorge? i would love to see them dump some giant ling eating browns in here! like days of old when fg had the world record brown!
[signature]
Hey you did all right! Just be glad you didn't opt for the open water like I did last Thursday..... two of us fished 6 hours and never even had a bite.... so much for rumors....was suppose to be "hot" from shore....ya....
[signature]
The BROWNS are bitchin bro, it's the burbot that are no bueno.
I wish I had been old enough to know the gorge browns back in their heyday. AND, those gorge browns LOOKED like browns, not like the great lakes monsters that look more like atlantic salmon.
Browns are numero uno in my book!
[signature]
[quote joshomaru] I wish I had been old enough to know the gorge browns back in their heyday. AND, those gorge browns LOOKED like browns, not like the great lakes monsters that look more like atlantic salmon.
Browns are numero uno in my book![/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]Don't know where you got your intel that Gorge browns were all colorful and such. They were almost all bright silver...like salmon. I was there. Even caught a few my own self.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
A buddy of mine caught a 16 pounder in 1983 out of sheep creek that was really colorful like a brown should be. It took him 30 minutes to get it in. There ought to be some pictures of Ray Johnson floating around. He was the famous brown fisherman that had all the records from the gorge back in the 80`s. Fishon
[signature]
Nice Ling ! You need to post those up on the Wyoming board !!! Most guys on here know thats where you caught em.. Did your group fish the dam area or boat ramp area by chance ?? Thanks
[signature]
sorry man I should read a little closer! ya I have seen some awsome colored browns come from the gorge!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The browns in many reservoirs...the Gorge included...WILL color up at spawning time. But most of the year they are a silvery color.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Deer Creek is a good example. Silvery browns all summer but beautiful hookies in the fall.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][cool][#0000ff]The browns in many reservoirs...the Gorge included...WILL color up at spawning time. But most of the year they are a silvery color.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Deer Creek is a good example. Silvery browns all summer but beautiful hookies in the fall.[/#0000ff][/quote]

It was in the Fall TD when he caught that 16 pounder and that is when Ray J. would hammer on them too. He was a tuber also.Fishon
[signature]
[right]Nice Ling, glad you had a blast, and thanks for killin' em![Smile][cool][shocked]
[right]Come on back any time and take these slimers home by the bucketful!
[right]Matt
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I "experienced" the wild and crazy RJ. He would camp in snow caves in February and fish at night, trolling Rapalas. But would claim he caught all his fish on the lures he manufactured and sold as "Gorge specials". I never knew anybody who ever caught a fish on one of those things. But, to his credit, he was passionate about those big browns and probably caught more truly big ones than anybody else.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That was also when Del Canty, of Leadville Colorado, would come over and fly fish from his float tube for browns, lakers and the big kamloops rainbows. He actually caught the state record rainbow...a big red 26# hookie bow...from his float tube on a flyrod. And he caught numerous big browns over 20 pounds.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In those days the Gorge was full of chubs...and so were all of the BIG fish. The chub population crashed and the browns have never been as plentiful or as big since then.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Ahhhh...the good old days.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I actually bought some of those RJ lures. Never caught anything on them. Looked like a minnow and had the action of a stick. kinda humerous. Whatever happened to the good old days. You would think with all the years of good and bad the biologists would have it figured out and could keep a fishery going like that or bring one back to that. I guess it takes a bunch of money. The chubs would be one more thing the ling could eat and populate even faster. It is still a good fishery minus the monster browns.Fishon
[signature]