Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crappie Question
A coworker and I are debating whether Utah has both black and white crappie. After looking at the proclamation it just said Crappie.

My coworker swears he has caught both at Lake Powell.

Any thoughts or opinions on the matter.
[signature]
The crappie in Utah are Black Crappie. You will see wide variation in coloring depending on the water and the changes brought on by spawning in the spring. I've caught some at Lake Powell that were males very solid black in color during the spring spawn. You'll also see very pale colored females.
The White Crappie have a more barred pattern on their sides and there are other subtle differences.
If you check out my profile you'll see a photo of a real nice 15 inch black crappie caught at Lake Powell a few years ago.

Mike
[signature]
Indeed, very nice on the pic.
[signature]
no white crappie, they have vertical stripes instead of speckles. just black crappie.
[signature]
I read on the Division of Wildlife Resources website that there are in fact White Crappies in Utah. They are very rare and were planted in Gunnison Bend Reservoir.It also says that they could possible be in other Utah locations but most crappie in Utah are Black Crappie. Hope this helps.[Image: bobwink.gif]
[signature]