Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My First Jordan River Fish on the Fly
The last couple weeks I've got it in my head that I need to catch a carp on the fly... so 5-6 times I've gone out "Hunting the Mighty Carp!" on the Jordan. Sadly, no luck on that one yet, no matter what I've tried. Seriously.

But I did manage this guy today. Utah Sucker, around 20". Not a carp but not bad at all.

[inline IMG_4037.JPG]

(I think it freaked Kota out a little, she refused to pose with it.)
[signature]
Glad to see some fish bitting at the Jordan again. The utah sucker is on my bucket list.
[signature]
Yes!!! Congrats, isn't it a good feeling? I caught my first Utah Sucker this year on a fly as well, and damn, I felt good. What did he take?
Yep, definately a fish I'll remember. Especially given the fact that I've been getting nothing but skunked on the JR since I started fly fishing it! This fish was a heck of a surprise and a good one at that.

He took a tiny hares ear I was bouncing on the bottom. Hooked him square inside the top part of his rubbery suction cup lip thing (not a fun place to reach in and retreive the fly from)

I wonder if that was just a fluke though - right place at the right time - because I always thought suckers just kinda sucked at the rocks/mud/vegetation indiscriminately or by smell, rather than targeting individual bugs etc by sight like a predatory fish would...
[signature]
Have you ever fly fished Strawberry? Suckers eat flies and the Haresear is my go to.
I definitely don't think it was a fluke. Right place right time maybe. You fish someplace enough times it has got to pay off and now you have done it, it will either be a lot easier, or you will drive yourself nuts trying to remember what you did...LOL Great sport[laugh][laugh][laugh]
[signature]
No fluke man, trust me. I've nailed a bunch of carp and suckers with flies, and a lot of the times, I've seen them actually see the fly, make a b-line to it, and inhale.

Shoot me a PM if you ever want some company on the JR.
I have even had a sucker in the Blackfoot River chase a streamer. They are very active predators. Since they hang closer to the bottom I don't hook into them very often, but if you get a fly down to them they will take it. Carp are the same, but they are more cautious and picky.

BTW that is a very nice fish, and I bet it gave you a good fight.
[signature]
And Carp will take a dry[cool]
[signature]
Definitely not a fluke. I was up on The Bear in Idaho fishing for smallmouth last September, using a small swimbait on a spinning rod, when this gorgeous monstrosity hammered it. [inline "gross small.JPG"]

I was expecting a bass, walleye or brown with the way it hit, but much to my surprise, it was a sucker.
[signature]
Now Carp on a dry would be awesome! Figures that since I've been trying for one recently there's been absolutely nada happening on the surface. Someday.
[signature]
Head to Williard -- don't ask me where, since I don't know that lake at all -- but along the edges and cat tails one night, my buddy and I had 50 or 60 monsters sipping who-knows-what on the surfface. We tried a bunch of diffent flies but finally started getting into them Man, the fight like champions.. lots of broken flies. All on the surface. I'm so ready...
[signature]
You should head to Flaming Gorge this year!! I watched a guide on the green land 8-10 20 plus pound carp on the fly while I caught 2-3 pound smallmouth from my boat! It was amazing to watch him stalk these giant fish from the shore. He only landed half the ones he hooked!
[signature]
I just stumbled upon the jordan, kind of like that it gets overlooked and fishing it is interesting because you don't know what you'll catch, I've only fished off of winchester by willow pond, any other accesses or stretches you recommend for fly fishing? would be interested in getting out sometime and shown a thing or two. I'm used to targetting trout specifically[reply][/reply]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Welcome to the board. But you just replied to a 6 year old thread. The member to whom you replied is long gone.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]But the Jordan River is still there...with all it's varied species. This is the time of year of low flows and cold water. Fish will be schooled in slow deep pools and are not as active as during warmer times. But there are some good trout in the Jordan that come down from the canyon streams, so most good buggy flies will catch something.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]If you got no pride, and strictly want some tugs, use a corn imitation and cast for carp. They will bend your stick and stretch your string. Otherwise, there are at least 10 species you can catch at one time or another. Most are from this planet.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks tube dude, I just looked at this thread date. Any access points you recommend hitting without giving away any secret spots, was looking at 4800 where Little c. creek feeds in
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000FF]Welcome to the board. But you just replied to a 6 year old thread. The member to whom you replied is long gone.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]But the Jordan River is still there...with all it's varied species. This is the time of year of low flows and cold water. Fish will be schooled in slow deep pools and are not as active as during warmer times. But there are some good trout in the Jordan that come down from the canyon streams, so most good buggy flies will catch something.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]If you got no pride, and strictly want some tugs, use a corn imitation and cast for carp. They will bend your stick and stretch your string. Otherwise, there are at least 10 species you can catch at one time or another. Most are from this planet.
[/#0000FF][/quote]

I’m still here, you handsome bastard, you!
[signature]
Good to know you didn’t die! Always figured trout bums will always show up at the next big hatch no matter what.
[signature]
[#0000FF]That is probably one of the better spots to try. I know other fly-flingers who like it.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Most who take advantage of this urban flow spend a lot of time parking different places along the river and exploring along the shore to find their own honey holes. The river changes throughout the year with varying water levels and other factors.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]You really need to send flygoddess a PM...if she doesn't see your post and chime in. She spends a lot of time on the Jordan and has it pretty well dialed in.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Hey Dave...you have been gone, but not forgotten.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I seem to recall you moved south. Where are you hanging out these days?
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I did a few years down in St. George, slaying LMB like it was my job, but I just recently moved to Oakley and work in Lindon. I’d love to get out on the water with you again sometime if you’re still kickin’.
[signature]