Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ririe 1/22
Headed for Ririe yesterday hoping the reports of a new system coming in first of this week would spark a feed by the kokes. Apparently they don't watch the weather channel. Was pretty slow. Saw a lot of fish on the flasher but they seemed to have lockjaw or something. Had a school come by about every 5-10 minutes for about half an hour or so but they would never commit. I'd get a couple really light bites then they were gone after about 1 minute. They were coming in around 40-45 feet then when the main school was there they would be about 20-30 feet down. I also saw several singles on the sonar which I suspect were trout but whenever I would put the jig at their level they would leave until I moved it and then they would be back. Final count was 2 kokes landed and a few nibbles.

In other news though windrivers condo appears to have suffered a natural disaster. When I arrived it was along the shore and tilted at a not so natural angle. He had a pretty good sized group over there working on removing it and since I had my son I figured I'd stay out of the way. Sadly it didn't make it and it appeared they had a nice cremation ceremony for it.

On the way out we did see a small group of deer including 3 nice bucks. One was a nice 4x4 that I would love to find during the hunting season.

Finally ice was around 10 inches or so but the edges are not safe for the first 5 feet or so, so everyone was using the boat dock for access. Just watch the reservoir side halfway down since the condo stove tried to break through while they were removing it.
[signature]
Nice report. Too bad about the condo. Good photo of the buck, though.
[signature]
Good talking to you on the ice.

Yep, the ice cabin went down and we could not get it out without destroying it. We tried about everything.

The wind snapped the lines that were anchoring it and then it hit the weak ice. I just couldn't get to it before it went down. We got all the big parts hauled off and burned the rest. Kind of Sad, but it went down in a blaze of glory like a Viking ship.[Wink]

Windriver
[signature]
Really sorry to hear about the condo. The wind has been horrible this year. Hope you were able to salvage most of it.
[signature]
Bummed for you WR. I know she was a prize! [Image: beaten.gif]
[signature]
Nope. We got the metal roof, window, door etc... The rest was wreck and just was not salvagable if that is a word.

It is ok. Sometimes experiments don't work out. The winds that can come down that Ririe Canyon are just unreal at times.

Windriver
[signature]
sorry to hear [frown]
[signature]
Hearing about that makes me wonder about an ice houes designed like an upside down canoe. Attach one end to a good spike so the wind can swing it until it is streamlined (although you wouldn't want it swiging while you were in it, but for the most part it would always be arranged the way the wind momally blows.)
[signature]
Sorry about your "loss"[:/] I will say a prayer for your family
[signature]
So how big were the kokes you caught???. Thinking about making a day trip but not to sure at this point.
And that is a nice buck!!1
[signature]
We thought we had it anchored with the angle to the wind. A micro-burst is a micro-burst they are incredible. It just snapped the thick rope lines that we had and tore off some of the siding. Then the ice house landed in the bad ice on the edge where the rains had lifted the cap up.

Windriver
[signature]
The kokes we caught were 13.5 inches and 7 inches. Saw another caught by the guys near us that was around the 13-14 inch range. That's been the typical size I've caught this year along with the one small one that is becoming standard on each outing.
[signature]
That's a bummer windriver. I've always wanted to do a ice shack. I'm courious about how you got it out there in the first place. You do it like this:
[url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZGN2PS06Q8&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZGN2PS06Q8&feature=related[/url]
[signature]
lol I'm surprised insurance agents don't ask do you ice fish and if you say yes they say please leave there is nothing i can do for you
[signature]