Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Huntin coyotes?
Curious if there are any pro dog hunters on here. I have shot a couple but have never had much luck at calling them in. I want to give it a shot maybe this weekend. What do you guys prefer for a set up?
Electronic call, or mouth call? Can you intermix the calls or do you need to use the same one? I have both and I also have a rabbit decoy. Are the decoys effective and how far should you set up from the decoy to call? I have a couple of good spots to try and I have seen dogs there in the past I would just love to call one in close enough to finish the deal. Thanks for any help.
[signature]
I'm hardly pro but from my success I would say scouting is key as well as keep an eye on the wind. I also found to set up in the wide open. So you can see them come. I find a big bush to sit in that over looks grassy areas. I used to set up in sage but it gave them to much cover to sneak in. I hunt sage but keep to really short stuff.
[signature]
How long do you usually sit on a set up before you move and try somewhere different?
[signature]
Depends on the terrain if it's open country 20-30 minutes and I glass in the distance the sound can carry a long way and you have to give them time to respond. When i am hunting more forested/canyon terrain 15. Good luck.
[signature]
I like to set up on a rise overlooking some good land. It is better to set up in front of a bush or juniper, with it behind you to break up your outline but you have nothing in your way for a shot. For coyotes I like a hand call. You can use both. I have found that you distrurb the area by walking out and setting up the remote speaker or decoy and then coming back and setting up for the call. I like to hunt blacktop roads better than dirt. Hide the truck in a shallow dip in tha road, walk out just out of site of the truck and call ten minutes and back in the truck and down the road one mile and do it again. Bam, bam, bam. Most often the coyote will show before 3 minutes. On a lonely dirt road the coyotes will be more alarmed by a truck, but they get used to cars on pavement.
[signature]
I haven't done much varmit hunting the last 10 years because the coyote prices have been so bad. However, this year they are finnely getting up over $50. I've herd of $75 av for good white bellied dogs. There is a fur sale in Blackfoot this weekend put on by the trappers. We will see how they sale from this area.
They will be starting to mate now. What they call rubbing. It thins the belly fur.
And also. Howling works better than a rabbit call right now. I would love to go hunting with someone that has a good place to hunt. I'm new to this area but have shot coyotes in UT, CO. ID. (city of rocks to Jackpot) TX, Wy,NV, and AR.
[signature]
Well i tell you what i know I will tell you that coyotes are a lot harder to hunt then in years past . It has become real popular the one thing you have to remember get the wind on them and keep your movement slow and keep cover behind you. They are smart if they have seen it they probably won't make the same mistake twice ! The rest of the posts you read are on the right tract . 30 years experience 4 uncles gov trappers and one grand pa pv me I will talk more!
[signature]
A decoy and eletronic caller are the titts for Bobcats. They take longer coming in and you can sit and glass instead of calling with a mouth call. They can see your hands moving from a long way away on a mouth call. And they will just sit forever and not come in. For coyotes, I would just put the speaker and decoy 10 feet or so away. Drop it, get back and down, get your rifle ( shotgun in close conditions) ready and call. If you don't hear or see something in three minutes, you can sort of let your gaurd down.
[signature]
I am another one that is not a pro. But I do ok on them from time to time. Maybe I have found stupid coyotes but I don't even use camo most of the time. I keep my caller right by me and shoot them. If I can see the coyote first I got a better than average chance. I like to get on a high spot like the others. I also like to attach the speaker to my ATV and call them to it. My last one I got with a pistol. I use the Johnny Stewart prey master. I also bought a Radio Shack hand held amp with a speaker. It cost 14 dollars. I downloaded free sounds off the internet and into a MP3 player. little dogs and chickens works great around farm ground. Little dogs also is great. Ron

[Image: 9-11-10coyote15.jpg]
[Image: 10-28-10coyote.jpg]
[Image: Coyote1.jpg]
[signature]
Thanks for all the info guys. I am gonna go out and give it a try today. Probably should be out now but oh well. Just gettin out is the point. Thanks for the pics Ron. Cool that you shot one with a pistol.
[signature]