Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My quest for the real trout
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font]
[size 3]A few weeks back jeremypeace posted a poll about our favorite trout to catch. It turned into a debate about what is a trout and what isn’t. Since then I've been doing some research on the scientific meaning of trout. A very complicated subject to say the least. I knew enough about the classification of species that there can only be one true trout. Just because we generally recognize some fish as a trout doesn't necessarily mean they are a trout. I've always thought of the true trout as being from the genus Oncorhynchus which includes the rainbows and cutthroats. This assumption was probably due from being raised in the Pacific Northwest. Well after reading hundreds of pages on the subject I came to the conclusion that I was wrong. The true trout comes from the genus Salmo which include the Atlantic salmon and Brown Trout as drowning flys had pointed out. Interesting enough even rainbows where classified under the genus Salmo until it was discovered they were more closely related to the Pacific salmon in the 20[/size][size 2]th[/size][size 3] century. All the info I read was best summed by Ken Schultz in his book Field Guide to Freshwater Fish, page 224. I would encourage anyone interested in the subject to look it up. The Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Commission also has a good explanation of the taxonomy of fish at:[/size]
[size 3][/size] [url "http://fishandboat.com/images/pages/qa/fish/char_brook.htm"][#0000ff]http://fishandboat.com/images/pages/qa/fish/char_brook.htm[/#0000ff][/url]
[size 3]Another interesting thing I came across is that there is a good chance the genus Salvelinus(Char) is probably a descendant of a “trout” from California. The theory goes that the “trout” followed the receding glaciers north after the last ice age. They eventually got stranded in the interior of what now is Canada and became what we know them as today. And of the 25 species of Char that I can find, 15 are commonly referred to as “trout”.[/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font][size 3]So how confusingcan this be? Scientifically you could say the Atlantic salmon is a trout and a Lohontan Cutthroat Trout is a salmon and be correct. That’s how confusing![/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font][size 3]And like I said before, I’ll stick with “If they call it a trout then it must be a trout” theory. Oh wait, I’ll have to have an exception to rule, I still can’t accept the Spotted Sea Trout as trout. LOL[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
Very interesting. I'm glad you did the research so I didn't have to.

Windriver
[signature]
Very cool! I'm still Confused but now I sound like I know the difference! [Image: happy.gif]
[signature]
good info... i will just stick to calling them fish Smile

and yes the spotted sea trout is not a trout. its a bass if i have been told right?
[signature]
Great info! Whatever the scientists want to call them I will probably always think of all of them as just "trout", even the brookies and bulls. I just like that there is such a variety in the species and subspecies.

The cutthroats and rainbows that I caught in Western Washington are very different than the ones here in Idaho. It is fun learning and recognizing the differences. I kind of wish Idaho had a "Cutt Slam" program like Wyoming's, but it doesn't really matter as I like doing my own keeping track.
[signature]
As interesting as this might be, have you had problems falling to sleep or what? [Image: happy.gif] Good research though, if it were left to me it wouldn't have gotten done. As far as my research goes I have a hard time deciding what they are after I catch them! I am getting better thanks to the good folks here on the forum.
[signature]
Its all my fault[blush]
[signature]
Sounds like you had fun reading all of that.

Common names often don't have a scientific basis and are also not universal (the common name changes depending on geographic location). They are however useful for conversation, unlike scientific naming. When you try to group common names, it usually doesn't work out based on the actual names.

So people can debate what's a "true trout", but scientifically, they may not have a leg to stand on. I'd like to see what makes a trout a trout, scientifically?
[signature]
Thanks for the info and research like you said we will probably just refer to them as trout except for the spotted sea one [Wink] lol
[signature]
Can someone just post pictures for my simple mind [Image: happy.gif]
[signature]
OK I will post a couple of pictures. In both of these pictures the trout is on the hook. [cool][cool][cool][laugh][laugh]
Ron

[Image: SwanFalls8-24-11O.jpg]
[Image: SwanFalls8-24-11N.jpg]
[signature]
Lol..hey mr funny man...sure hope you have a multi pole permit for those 20 extra rods you have on board...[bobhappy]
[signature]

A good end for a farmed trout.

Looks like your son can just about stand up and water ski behind you![laugh][laugh]
[signature]
SO, does this mean a "Tiger Trout" (brookie/brown) is really a CHOUT (Char-Trout)[cool]
[signature]
LOL sounds good to me. I did learn they are sterile because they are a cross from two genus classes. Trout is to confusing as the scientist keep reclassifying them. Rainbows where only moved from Atlantic to Pacific classification in 1989.

Anyway I'm done with trout and since I just transferred to night shift and can't sleep I need something to do. My new research project is Wolverines (Gulo gulo, or latin for glutton) in Idaho. My quest will be to see one in ID this summer. I'd even be happy finding a track I could confirm as Wolverine. Updates to follow.....LOL
[signature]
Ok...since I spent the last three years in the Gulf of Mexico catching the hell out of Speckled Trout I'll clarify for you native Idahoans...A speckled Trout is actually form the Saltwater Drum family...see from Wikipedia for proof...

The spotted seatrout also known as speckled trout or spotted weakfish (Cynoscion nebulosus) is a common [url "/wiki/Estuary"]estuarine[/url] [url "/wiki/Fish"]fish[/url] found in the southern [url "/wiki/United_States"]United States[/url] along coasts of [url "/wiki/Gulf_of_Mexico"]Gulf of Mexico[/url] and [url "/wiki/South_Atlantic_Ocean"]South Atlantic Ocean[/url]. While most of these fish are caught on shallow, grassy flats, spotted seatrout reside in virtually any inshore waters, from the surf of outside islands to far up coastal rivers, where they often come for shelter during cold weather. Contrary to its name, the spotted seatrout is not a member of the trout family ([url "/wiki/Salmonidae"]Salmonidae[/url]), but of the drum family ([url "/wiki/Sciaenidae"]Sciaenidae[/url]).

They are fun as heck to catch and fight really hard...check out the teeth on these jokers...there skin type is very troutlike but the mouth and teeth are def not something to mess around with...
[signature]
Thanks for the info Jimbo! I never realized they had such fangs. They are definitely on my bucket list.

Bucket List (buck·et list) Any fish I want to catch a bucket full of. lol
[signature]
[Wink][cool][laugh][sly]
[signature]